The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University, Belfast 2012 Applicants.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Just got my offer today for Queens to study Architecture ABB :smile: so excited :biggrin:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 101
why do people go home at weekends thats so lameeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by f.nabs
why do people go home at weekends thats so lameeeeeeeeeeee

Not really "lame"; a lot of people want to see friends and family at home, and others might have more personal reasons for going home. It really annoys me when people instantly think that going home is pathetic as it's not at all; it's completely down to the person and it shouldn't be judged, at all.
Also maybe some people find it hard to study in halls (noisy flatmates, maybe getting bullied etc?) and find going home easier to get work done and as an escape from it. There are loads of reasons, none of which I find "lame" at all, and you shouldn't really either.
Also loads of people don't go home so it's not even that much of a big deal to you anyway... *sigh*
Reply 103
The Holylands is a ghost town at the weekend!
Reply 104
Original post by snailsareslimy
Not really "lame"; a lot of people want to see friends and family at home, and others might have more personal reasons for going home. It really annoys me when people instantly think that going home is pathetic as it's not at all; it's completely down to the person and it shouldn't be judged, at all.
Also maybe some people find it hard to study in halls (noisy flatmates, maybe getting bullied etc?) and find going home easier to get work done and as an escape from it. There are loads of reasons, none of which I find "lame" at all, and you shouldn't really either.
Also loads of people don't go home so it's not even that much of a big deal to you anyway... *sigh*

Well to be honest I can see where the guy is coming from. Sure some people have personal reasons for going home but certainly not the majority of students, which is the case here. Going to uni (for me at least) is about independence; if I were to go home every weekend it would entirely defeat the point of my university experience. Also this may be me being slightly shielded from reality but I highly doubt there are too many cases of bullying at university. I think 99% of people are mature enough not to be a dick. In my opinion going home every now and then is acceptable but every weekend is out of hand and immature, like people are holding back from growing up (in most circumstances).
Reply 105
Got an offer for Architecture! :biggrin:
Reply 106
Original post by pongalo
Got an offer for Architecture! :biggrin:

Congrats dude :smile: are you going to like the applicant open day in april??
Reply 107
Original post by Crops
Congrats dude :smile: are you going to like the applicant open day in april??

I wasn't aware there was one :s-smilie: But i dont think i'll be able to make it as im off to japan from 3rd to 23rd...but i'll re-check my ucas incase i missed it :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by pongalo
I wasn't aware there was one :s-smilie: But i dont think i'll be able to make it as im off to japan from 3rd to 23rd...but i'll re-check my ucas incase i missed it :smile:

It was just sent in an email like a few days after i got the offer, theyre on the 18th april and 24th march. And thats actually awesome japan is like my number one place to eventually visit :smile:
Original post by potter94
Well to be honest I can see where the guy is coming from. Sure some people have personal reasons for going home but certainly not the majority of students, which is the case here. Going to uni (for me at least) is about independence; if I were to go home every weekend it would entirely defeat the point of my university experience. Also this may be me being slightly shielded from reality but I highly doubt there are too many cases of bullying at university. I think 99% of people are mature enough not to be a dick. In my opinion going home every now and then is acceptable but every weekend is out of hand and immature, like people are holding back from growing up (in most circumstances).

I can also see where they are coming from too, but there's no need to put people down (by saying it's "lame") over the fact they might want to go home. Also yes, uni for you is about independence, but there are many different types of people with different circumstances.
And of course you would expect less bullying to happen at university, but lets be honest; it happens everywhere (even in the work place, and that's with people who are certainly old enough to know better).
I really don't think anyone should judge anyones decision on whether they go home or stay in halls. It's a completely personal choice, and one which should be respected, not judged (like you are doing when you say "In my opinion going home every now and then is acceptable but every weekend is out of hand and immature, like people are holding back from growing up (in most circumstances)").
Reply 110
I've got a conditional of BBB to do Film at Queens, and I'm so excited to go. I'm moving from England but I'm from Belfast originally so half my family are here, and my aunt's promised to do my washing if I give her lifts to Tesco. :biggrin: I'd probably go and see my family some weekends but I'm not going to rely on them. I can basically cook and clean for myself anyway, so hopefully I'll be alright. Budgeting is going to be a niiightmare though. ):

And I'm actually kinda glad that it'll be quiet at weekends - I tend to party during the week (Tuesday being Student Night and everything) and get my work done at the weekend anyway.

Anyway, any Film students/English people? (:
Reply 111
Original post by snailsareslimy
I can also see where they are coming from too, but there's no need to put people down (by saying it's "lame") over the fact they might want to go home. Also yes, uni for you is about independence, but there are many different types of people with different circumstances.
And of course you would expect less bullying to happen at university, but lets be honest; it happens everywhere (even in the work place, and that's with people who are certainly old enough to know better).
I really don't think anyone should judge anyones decision on whether they go home or stay in halls. It's a completely personal choice, and one which should be respected, not judged (like you are doing when you say "In my opinion going home every now and then is acceptable but every weekend is out of hand and immature, like people are holding back from growing up (in most circumstances)").

Yeah fair enough. I think the difference is I'm generalizing things on a wider scale. Whereas you are looking at it from a more individualistic perspective.
Reply 112
I'm from England and may be going next year. Also have relatives near Belfast. But may differ for a year.
Original post by potter94
Yeah fair enough. I think the difference is I'm generalizing things on a wider scale. Whereas you are looking at it from a more individualistic perspective.

Which combined together creates a perfectly balanced argument :wink:
Yay got an unconditional! Couldn't be more excited for September right now, finally got my dream uni :u:
Original post by caramel
Yes i'm going on that day as well. Hmm I know their open days are in the middle of the week so I'm glad this is at the weekend so I can at least attend that! I really want to go to Queens just worried i'll miss the offer by 1 mark or something crazy like that! Do you think they're quite flexible...?

I have no idea about flexibility, I hope so. I'm predicted A*AB at the minute, but for my psychology A level I'm literally just sitting on a B, so I'm worried they might not accept me if I drop a mark and get a C. What did you think of the open day itself? Personally I thought it was great, the halls were nicer than I expected, and the staff were really helpful.
Hi :smile:
I'm from England too and have an offer for PPE at ABB. Hopefully going as it's one of my favourite unis.
Reply 117
Original post by FirstHeGiveth
I have no idea about flexibility, I hope so. I'm predicted A*AB at the minute, but for my psychology A level I'm literally just sitting on a B, so I'm worried they might not accept me if I drop a mark and get a C. What did you think of the open day itself? Personally I thought it was great, the halls were nicer than I expected, and the staff were really helpful.

I was one mark off an A in psychology, sent for a remark and it didn't change. How sly is that! So going to resit Unit 1 to get that higher and then hopefully overall will get an A! Do you only need ABB? I loved the open day, friendly people, amazing gym, great residence! Fingers crossed eh!
Reply 118
For Pharmacy i got a conditional offer (AAB (A has to be in chemistry))

so i am very happy :smile:
Original post by cmg1994
For Pharmacy i got a conditional offer (AAB (A has to be in chemistry))

so i am very happy :smile:

Are you going to firm Queen's for Pharmacy? Getting in the A in Chemistry is my problem though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending