The Student Room Group

Your first day at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
why are you thinking about this already.

its a bit early to make such detailed plans, no?
Original post by Girlproblems
I didnt want my parents to stay
but ALL my flat mates parents stayed so i didnt miss out on anything at all

my friend went a day earlier stayed in a hotel and then moved in the next morning then her paretns left that afternoon why dont you do that

honestly though so many parents stay and go shopping/ go for a meal etc ect
seriosuly dont worry

I've decided I'd probably quite like her to stick around for a bit and help me move in but I don't want her lingering around for the whole of my first weekend there.

Without external influences my Mum isn't actually what I'd consider to be over protective or anything but she's really impressionable when it comes to the thoughts of my super neurotic grandmother who lives with us. I'll talk to my mum and come to a sensible conclusion and then my gran will go and put ideas in her head and if I disagree with her after she's been brainwashed then I land myself in an argument and now she won't hear me out at all and she just says I've pushed her too far and she wants space... This is driving me CRAZY.
Original post by littleone271
I've decided I'd probably quite like her to stick around for a bit and help me move in but I don't want her lingering around for the whole of my first weekend there.

Without external influences my Mum isn't actually what I'd consider to be over protective or anything but she's really impressionable when it comes to the thoughts of my super neurotic grandmother who lives with us. I'll talk to my mum and come to a sensible conclusion and then my gran will go and put ideas in her head and if I disagree with her after she's been brainwashed then I land myself in an argument and now she won't hear me out at all and she just says I've pushed her too far and she wants space... This is driving me CRAZY.

Yeah that sucks
Tell her honestly that she cant stay, because thats the first night of freshers youre ment to be getting drunk and making friends
ask if you could all stay in a hotel the night before moving in day and then you can spend the day before moving in day with them or something
My parents stayed for about an hour on moving in day, honestly didn't need that much help from them. Don't let your parents stay for too long; if you're moving into halls you'll want to spend as long as possible putting effort into getting to know your neighbours/flatmates/whatever. You'll be amazed what happens in a few, crucial hours.
Original post by ugk4life
why are you thinking about this already.

its a bit early to make such detailed plans, no?

Yeah I don't cope particularly well with change and I tend to worry about things and try to visualise exactly what's going to happen etc. Plus I've already got a lot of my stuff for taking with me and buying it and deciding what I'll need and what I won't need just makes me think about it even more.

Original post by Girlproblems
Yeah that sucks
Tell her honestly that she cant stay, because thats the first night of freshers youre ment to be getting drunk and making friends
ask if you could all stay in a hotel the night before moving in day and then you can spend the day before moving in day with them or something

Original post by innerhollow
My parents stayed for about an hour on moving in day, honestly didn't need that much help from them. Don't let your parents stay for too long; if you're moving into halls you'll want to spend as long as possible putting effort into getting to know your neighbours/flatmates/whatever. You'll be amazed what happens in a few, crucial hours.

Yeah she eventually calmed down after going a bit mental and then she said she was happy to do whatever I want her to do as long as we stopped arguing about it lol. So yeah she'll help me make my room look nice and leave when it's all sorted and then if it's late by the time thats done then her and my stepdad will stay in a hotel but I won't have to spend time with them or anything and I can still go out and everything. We've agreed to play it by ear.
Reply 25
Hi, I'm planning on going to the University of Bedfordshire in September and I'm wondering what I should expect on my first day.

My Mum, my Dad and possibly my stepdad are going there with me to see me off and help move me in (with one of my Dad's transit vans for all my stuff lol). My Mum keeps going on about how she'll set up everything for me and make it all look nice for me while I get rushed off for induction stuff.

Her friend told her that when she moved her daughters into university she was left to sort out all their stuff for them while they had to go to meetings and things (london met and buckinghamshire private university).

I don't know how to break it to her but I really don't want that to happen... I know it sounds terrible but I just want to do it all myself so I can have it how I want it without my mum going through my things. She says she wants it all to look nice before she leaves me there to give her peace of mind... I'm thinking a compromise could be sending her off for a couple of hours while I do it and then she can see it all nice and done how I want it before she leaves me.

What did you guys do on your first days?

I guess it depends on your university.
I attend the University of Sheffield, and when I got here, my dad and myself went and got my keys and signed for some insurance, were given welcome packs, and settled in. I set out all of my stuff, met my flatmates and then my parents (mid-way through divorce and hating eachother!) went to get me some freezer food for the week. They got lost, so I was in my flat alone (it was 8am and my other flatmate who arrived then went to get food too), so I decided to clean the shower and dye my hair. (':
Long story short, they got back eventually, and I had to blow dry my hair etc, so when my new flatmates arrived, I was just in my room trying to put my stuff away (my room is a double bedroom, so I had a lot of stuff to sort out!).
My flatmates thought I was weird and antisocial apparently. (':
I later went and sat on the bed of the first flatmate I met and we discussed the meetings we had in the week (meeting personal tutors, introductions to the course etc.)

That was it really. :smile:
Although they do all differ. Any questions that I've failed to include, please ask. :smile:

Congratulations and good luck! x
Original post by lizolove
I guess it depends on your university.
I attend the University of Sheffield, and when I got here, my dad and myself went and got my keys and signed for some insurance, were given welcome packs, and settled in. I set out all of my stuff, met my flatmates and then my parents (mid-way through divorce and hating eachother!) went to get me some freezer food for the week. They got lost, so I was in my flat alone (it was 8am and my other flatmate who arrived then went to get food too), so I decided to clean the shower and dye my hair. (':
Long story short, they got back eventually, and I had to blow dry my hair etc, so when my new flatmates arrived, I was just in my room trying to put my stuff away (my room is a double bedroom, so I had a lot of stuff to sort out!).
My flatmates thought I was weird and antisocial apparently. (':
I later went and sat on the bed of the first flatmate I met and we discussed the meetings we had in the week (meeting personal tutors, introductions to the course etc.)

That was it really. :smile:
Although they do all differ. Any questions that I've failed to include, please ask. :smile:

Congratulations and good luck! x

Ah thank you :smile:

I think I'm probably looking into things too much to be honest. I've got to actually get the grades first and even though the requirements are quite low for bedfordshire I don't want to 100% assume that I'll get in.

Did you not go out in the evening with your flatmates?
Reply 27
Ah thank you :smile:

I think I'm probably looking into things too much to be honest. I've got to actually get the grades first and even though the requirements are quite low for bedfordshire I don't want to 100% assume that I'll get in.

Did you not go out in the evening with your flatmates?

Fair enough! Good luck then! Just work hard and you'll get the grades you deserve!

We didn't. We had to register for our courses at 9am the next morning, and we all considered it weird to be out with people we barely knew, so we all cooked dinner together and talked. Also, I didn't have any money since my loan wasn't through, so I couldn't go out for months (post-Christmas), in fact, only a few weeks ago I got it. ): I still haven't got the full amount either!
Reply 28
My mum helped me move everything in, get it all sorted out and bought loads of food. Which was really useful. I then went back home to finish work (I could move in a week before Freshers week). I moved in properly with one of my friends. Bought food, went pub...
Reply 29
My family helped me with the suitcases and stuff but I set it all up by myself. It was quite emotional. Im the only girl in my family so I cried, my mum cried and so did my little brother. My older brother didnt say much lol.
Reply 30
We drove to London with everything in the car, got there about 5ish, carried everything into my room, went for a meal, and then my dad drove home. Worked fine :dontknow: I didn't go out that night; I unpacked instead. The first day of uni seems like a massive thing when you're not there yet, but looking back I hardly remember it and it wasn't really important.
I make pretty awesome chocolate brownies so I'll probably make a couple of batches of those when I get there.

Brownies :nutcase:
I'm thinking more along the lines of cookies and vodka gummy bears. Vodka and cookies always create strong and lasting friendships :pika:
Original post by neverlander¾
Brownies :nutcase:
I'm thinking more along the lines of cookies and vodka gummy bears. Vodka and cookies always create strong and lasting friendships :pika:

Yeah... so do my brownies though... I put white chocolate buttons in them and they go all gooey and I serve them hot with ice cream :smile:

Nobody can say no to my brownies!

I'm planning on getting the stuff for making purple rain too!
Yeah... so do my brownies though... I put white chocolate buttons in them and they go all gooey and I serve them hot with ice cream :smile:

Nobody can say no to my brownies!

I'm planning on getting the stuff for making purple rain too!

WHAT UNI HAVE YOU FIRMED? I want to try them :Q__
It's nice to see that other people love baking. It is so much fun and it can break the ice quickly!

Damn I'm hungry now :tongue:

EDIT: Bedfordshire. Fuq.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
I'd let your mum do what she wants really, if she wants to help let her, its going to be hard for her you moving away from home what I pressume is your first time not living at home, I wish my mum would be coming with me for moving into halls but because im going to a uni 500 miles away from home im on my own on that one
Original post by coolmushroom
Pretty much arrived, sent parents home, met the two 8/10 identical twins in the flat next door and had my first threesome (srs) then had something to eat and went to an organised night out where I brought back two 9/10 girls for an 'after party' in my room. People say uni isn't like this but in reality it is, they just don't want you to join in on the fun.

Wow that is the best first day ever i envy you.:angry:
Very clerical-y.
Reply 37
I havent bothered to read this thread seriously, but boy have you selected an uninspiring place to come for uni. I live in dunstable (next to luton) and well.... not that much fun at all! Also I shall accept an onslaught of negs... but come on bedfordshire uni? isnt that like three D's? in this day and age you may aswell of just got an apprenticeship
ill ask my parents to drop me there and get my stuff to my room, and then leave. theyll prolly want to stay longer but noooo chance lol actually, i might get them to make the bed etc lol
i like chattng to new people, i dont get nervous or anything :smile:
xx
Reply 39
Original post by innerhollow

Sorry to the person I've quoted - this isn't directly in response to you, but rather to all the people who are saying variations of the same point :smile:

I'm off to uni this September hopefully, so I haven't experienced this yet, but my friends started university last year, 3 weeks late, so she missed freshers and the start of term. But she still made really good friends with EVERYONE on her corridor / course / societies, and she's got a really good friendship group now and has got her house sorted with them for next year :smile: All I'm trying to say is that everyone puts such an emphasis on the 'crucial first hours', but it's really not like that. It's great to spend time with your flatmates when you arrive, of course, but it's not so crucial that you should push your parents out the door if you don't really want to! Likewise, if you don't seem to get to know your flatmates that well during freshers, don't give up and think that's it - there's plenty of time!

Quick Reply

Latest