The Student Room Group

How to work in a group with the laziest people ever?? (uni project)

So I'm working on an essay question with 4 other people on a piece of coursework. It counts for half of the grade of my favourite and arguably most important module at uni, and all three years are equally important here so it counts towards my final degree classification too.

Unfortunately, the people in the group are completely unwilling to co-operate. We were meant to meet up today at 2pm, and at half past two one girl finally rang me to say that she was at home and not coming. The others just never turned up and I've still not heard from them, even though I sent them an email asking what happened. I've not seen them in ages as they're never in lectures either.

They just don't seem to care at all, and judging by their facebooks they write like 5 year olds :rolleyes:

What should I do? I think it's way too late to join any other groups as they were all decided a month ago. I'm going to ask the lecturer if I can do it on my own or with the girl that did at least ring me to let me know, but I'm not sure he'll agree... How do I handle this? I can't MAKE them work :frown: And everyone in the group gets the same grade, regardless of who does what (or in this case, who does sweet FA). Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?
Reply 1
When's the deadline for this work? Speaking as a very lazy person, if it's more than 2 weeks away I wouldn't sweat it. There's plenty of time.
Reply 2
set a meeting with your lecturer where you form a work contract and each of you agree to do certain things (whether it's splitting the essay up, or agreeing to find 15 relevant references each) which the lecturer can guide you on. if someone fails to do their part you can meet with the lecturer who will be able to mark your work fairly and will know who's done their fair share. it worked for me in a few groups.
Reply 3
Original post by ROYP
When's the deadline for this work? Speaking as a very lazy person, if it's more than 2 weeks away I wouldn't sweat it. There's plenty of time.

^There you go, OP. An insight into the minds of the people in your group. Be prepared for a last-minute 2-day coursework binge. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by Soph.Jade
set a meeting with your lecturer where you form a work contract and each of you agree to do certain things (whether it's splitting the essay up, or agreeing to find 15 relevant references each) which the lecturer can guide you on. if someone fails to do their part you can meet with the lecturer who will be able to mark your work fairly and will know who's done their fair share. it worked for me in a few groups.

Not a bad idea, but we're expected to be independent. I know the lecturer won't be onhand to supervise. Plus he's actually away for two weeks so I won't see him until exams.

Original post by Piko_Piko
^There you go, OP. An insight into the minds of the people in your group. Be prepared for a last-minute 2-day coursework binge. :dontknow:

I just don't understand that mentality at all :s-smilie: The deadline is at the same time as exams, so it makes sense to ensure that everything's sorted well before then.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Give them each a smack upside the head.
Like in the films, where one flick of your hand hits all four of them.

Then you need a witty one-liner as a follow up.
Like "How's that for an essay topic?"

Yeah, nice. Okay, you're all set. Let me know how it goes.
Reply 6
[QUOTE="xmarilynx;36877305"]independent. I know the lecturer won't be onhand to supervise.

[/QUOTE

He doesn't need to be there past the initial meeting, as long as he's aware of who is contributing what, and you attatch the contract into the appendix he'll be able to look back and see who's worked hard.
Reply 7
Original post by Soph.Jade
He doesn't need to be there past the initial meeting, as long as he's aware of who is contributing what, and you attatch the contract into the appendix he'll be able to look back and see who's worked hard.

It doesn't matter, we all get the same grade regardless of who did what. Thanks for the suggestion anyway though :smile:
Reply 8
Research what you need to do, and at worse prepare an outline for those lazy idiots. You can also back this up by showing the team roles you have taken over because of their lack of cooperation (Belbin theory).

Sadly group work is never usually fair, but as long as you research and show that you have put your share of the workload in, then you won't be marked down despite the others lack of motivation.

We had to hold group presentations a few weeks ago. One group consisting of three people provided a presentation that was all over the place. It really showed that two members didnt put any effort in, but the one that did (and it showed) presented her research and was marked higher than the other people.

Good luck!
This seems quite bad on the part of your tutor / departmental setup. I had to do a discussion and presentation of a scientific paper in a group of 4. One person didn't come to our first two meetings and continuously made up excuses for not doing the work that we set for her, and all we had to do was go to our tutor and explain the situation.

The tutor took into account that the workload was between 3 and not 4 people and was lenient in our marking.

P.S. We all recieved individual marks based on our presentational skills, and each member of the group had to assess each other member of the group in terms of contribution, communication, attitude to work etc. I think it really is quite unfair to give the same mark to all.

I think the best bet is to contact your lecturer and if he's not available, your course director - I don't know what the staff of your course are like but mine are very down-to-earth, nice and reasonable people - they should be able to do something about it.
Reply 10
Original post by Epica
Research what you need to do, and at worse prepare an outline for those lazy idiots. You can also back this up by showing the team roles you have taken over because of their lack of cooperation (Belbin theory).

Sadly group work is never usually fair, but as long as you research and show that you have put your share of the workload in, then you won't be marked down despite the others lack of motivation.

We had to hold group presentations a few weeks ago. One group consisting of three people provided a presentation that was all over the place. It really showed that two members didnt put any effort in, but the one that did (and it showed) presented her research and was marked higher than the other people.

Good luck!

Unfortunately I will be marked down, unless I do five people's worth of work since we all get the same grade. I have done an outline (plan and suggestions for content and a few sources) so I guess if they have no ideas to contribute we can use that :s-smilie: But I mean they stood me up with no warning and still no explanation, so I can see them doing nothing at all and me either doing the whole alone or failing. Argh! /end rant
Reply 11
Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII
This seems quite bad on the part of your tutor / departmental setup. I had to do a discussion and presentation of a scientific paper in a group of 4. One person didn't come to our first two meetings and continuously made up excuses for not doing the work that we set for her, and all we had to do was go to our tutor and explain the situation.

The tutor took into account that the workload was between 3 and not 4 people and was lenient in our marking.

P.S. We all recieved individual marks based on our presentational skills, and each member of the group had to assess each other member of the group in terms of contribution, communication, attitude to work etc. I think it really is quite unfair to give the same mark to all.

I think the best bet is to contact your lecturer and if he's not available, your course director - I don't know what the staff of your course are like but mine are very down-to-earth, nice and reasonable people - they should be able to do something about it.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

The tutor is really friendly, so even though he did say that everyone would get the same grade he might be more lenient given the situation. Worth a try, anyway!
Reply 12
Original post by xmarilynx
And everyone in the group gets the same grade, regardless of who does what (or in this case, who does sweet FA). Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?

Just seen this! Extremely unfair with regards to group work. I would speak asap with the lectuer or head of department, failing this - your student union.

In your situation I would put my head down and get on with it. Unfair I know, but I won't let others ruin my chance of getting a good grade. You can then (at the end of the project) smile and feel good knowing you have put the work in.
Reply 13
So I'm working on an essay question with 4 other people on a piece of coursework. It counts for half of the grade of my favourite and arguably most important module at uni, and all three years are equally important here so it counts towards my final degree classification too.

Unfortunately, the people in the group are completely unwilling to co-operate. We were meant to meet up today at 2pm, and at half past two one girl finally rang me to say that she was at home and not coming. The others just never turned up and I've still not heard from them, even though I sent them an email asking what happened. I've not seen them in ages as they're never in lectures either.

They just don't seem to care at all, and judging by their facebooks they write like 5 year olds :rolleyes:

What should I do? I think it's way too late to join any other groups as they were all decided a month ago. I'm going to ask the lecturer if I can do it on my own or with the girl that did at least ring me to let me know, but I'm not sure he'll agree... How do I handle this? I can't MAKE them work :frown: And everyone in the group gets the same grade, regardless of who does what (or in this case, who does sweet FA). Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?

Sorry to hear it's going bad :frown:

First of all, if you have the option to move to another group (speak to the lecturer) you could try... depending on the deadline it's certainly feasible that you still have time to contribute to another.

Make sure you send plenty of emails and really push the matter, as proof that you tried. Say that they have to put in some more effort as at the moment no-one else has done anything. If that doesn't work in a couple of days speak to lecturer about the issue. Although you are expected to show maturity and be able to work with others, if those others point blank refuse to join in then the uni will understand that. In these cases the person who did nothing will usually get a 0, or a drastically reduced mark if they put in minimal effort. I'm not sure about your case as it's just you/one other girl perhaps, but the lecturer will be able to advise you here.

Good luck

xxx

PS: I would say even if you can't find others to work with just keep with the marks thing and do it yourself, however, this may not be possible if the work is designed to take several people's efforts, plus it wouldn't test your group skills (even though it's not your fault).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Epica
Just seen this! Extremely unfair with regards to group work. I would speak asap with the lectuer or head of department, failing this - your student union.

In your situation I would put my head down and get on with it. Unfair I know, but I won't let others ruin my chance of getting a good grade. You can then (at the end of the project) smile and feel good knowing you have put the work in.

I will try and take it further, nothing to lose I guess :dontknow:

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do. It's a ridiculous amount of work for one (or even two) people though. 25-30 page essay plus research :eek:
Not turning up to a meeting without telling anyone is just rude - luckily I've never had to work with people who do that. And who cares if they're the sort of people who put in the work just before the deadline? If you're working by yourself it's fair enough, but you can't do it if you're part of a group.

If you want a good grade you're going to have to do more than your share. There's no way around it.
Reply 16
I will try and take it further, nothing to lose I guess :dontknow:

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do. It's a ridiculous amount of work for one (or even two) people though. 25-30 page essay plus research :eek:

Ohh I know what this is like! I have just completed a 22 page report on the presentation I held. This has been the first night I have had off in ages because I have done nothing expect type type type! Library became my second home :biggrin:

One thing I would suggest - keep e-mailing and bugging them to do their work. Keep stressing the importance of this grade for their degrees and remain motivated even if they dont give a ****. This at least shows you are trying to manage the team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending