Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aeronautics - which uni is better? Surrey or Southampton?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Which university is better for aero?
    University of SURREY
    10.00%
    University of SOUTHAMPTON
    90.00%

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering which uni is better in terms of experience, leisure activites, safety, teaching quality etc.? Give reasons why if you can too

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Surrey or Southampton?....u trolling?

Cant say much on leisure n such, but for reputation it's defo defo defo Southampton. Purely because it has such a strong reputation for engineering. Also, worth considering that Surrey is in the town of Guildford, so it won't be as happening as Southampton.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    Surrey or Southampton?....u trolling?

Cant say much on leisure n such, but for reputation it's defo defo defo Southampton. Purely because it has such a strong reputation for engineering. Also, worth considering that Surrey is in the town of Guildford, so it won't be as happening as Southampton.
    Oh ok right thats made it more complicated for me lol, its because I saw how Surrey is better by far in terms of prospects and things other than reptation basically on "Whatuni.com":
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/unive...typrofile.html
    And http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/unive...3765/page.html
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alientrooper)
    Oh ok right thats made it more complicated for me lol, its because I saw how Surrey is better by far in terms of prospects and things other than reptation basically on "Whatuni.com":
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/unive...typrofile.html
    And http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/unive...3765/page.html
    Dude, whatuni is a joke. They have "eye candy" as part of their criteria! :unimpressed:Trust me on this Southampton slams Surrey for engineering. Ask any of your teachers.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    Dude, whatuni is a joke. They have "eye candy" as part of their criteria! :unimpressed:Trust me on this Southampton slams Surrey for engineering. Ask any of your teachers.
    LOL thats true.
    Yeah I will ask my teachers tomorra and see, but the surrey course currently has 1 year in industry whereas southampton doesnt, which might be decisive in the future?

Im just fighting both points lol
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would be stupid not to pick Southampton! It deffo has better job prospects. It is one of the best Engineering Unis not only in the Uk but the world as well!
    Surrey does not have a strong Engineering department like Southampton.

Forget about tables because they are skewed by stupid things! I can promise you that you will have a better time / job if you go to Soton.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    You would be stupid not to pick Southampton! It deffo has better job prospects. It is one of the best Engineering Unis not only in the Uk but the world as well!
    Surrey does not have a strong Engineering department like Southampton.

Forget about tables because they are skewed by stupid things! I can promise you that you will have a better time / job if you go to Soton.
    But then Surrey does have that year in industry which Soton does not....would it be risky to pick Soton because companies would be more likely to choose those with experience?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to steal your thread but i really need help! Shall I firm Bristol or Southampton!

Considering either going to

Southampton for 4 years (MEng in Aeronautics and Astronautics)
    Bristol for 4 years (MEng is Aeronautical Engineering)
    OR.... Going to Bristol for 3 years (getting a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering), then doing a Msc in Race Car Aerodynamics at Southampton.

HELP PLEASE!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alientrooper)
    But then Surrey does have that year in industry which Soton does not....would it be risky to pick Soton because companies would be more likely to choose those with experience?
    Get your own internships in the summer.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Get your own internships in the summer.
    Aren't they hghly competitive....?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any more opinions?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, but now I've chosen to take Surrey.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fool of a Took.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshymarsh)
    Fool of a Took.
    Other advice Ive had goes for it too, plus I found it personally to be better for a long term job
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm having the same problem now .. I really like surrey, but I have to pick between it and Southampton (also for aerospace).
    How is it at surrey? Are u enjoying it and are u regretting not going Southampton?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 3, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.