The Student Room Group

Muslims please help- I`m confused

hi

I didnt know where to put this so i thought this would be the best place. sorry if tis in the wrong place

basically I`m a muslim girl, brought up as a muslim, quite happy, I pray (well sometimes now), wear hijab, sing qawalis and spiritual music with guitar, and read alot about spirituality

recently though I AM QUESTIONNING MY FAITH. what is wrong with me?
i dont have any muslim friends so its like i have no1 to ask this to, it`s kind of like i dont belong and all the muslims around me are so messed up. some people claiming to be religeous be mean, put people down and make people feel really horrible. this isnt what i believe in?
AND, my version of religeon- the one based on purity, spirituality, and cleansing of the heart isnt what others believe in... they have it based of figures/acts you have to do/ my version of religeon is of love... am so confused.
so much that am not quite sure whether im even muslim anymore

so, what should I do?
I mean i could leave faith, but i know i`ll regret it later...

Scroll to see replies

Do you want an opinion from an agnostic person? Are you only looking for someone that tells you that there is a muslim God? :redface:
Reply 2
I'm not a Muslim, I'm an athiest but I wanted to point out that based on what you said you are questioning other people's interpretation of Islam rather than your faith in god. It's a very different thing
Hi Sis!

I'm a muslim and I know how you're feeling, I think everyone gets to that point so don't feel alone. When I do have those feelings though, I always come back to Islam being the best thing in my life.

You don't have muslim friends, therefore you won't have much positive influence of muslims (not saying your non-muslim friends are not positive btw), which means the majority of muslims you will get to know are those on tv/media. Try and surround yourself with muslim company once in a while, like go to the mosque or something.

Another thing. I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem with muslims. But not ISLAM. Islam is not to blame for the act of a few muslims, so remember that when your questioning your faith. If there's something that a muslim person did and its bothering you, try and find answers and see if its really within Islam (ie I have problem with women being oppressed but its not in Islam, its some 'muslim' people who practice it'.

My suggestion to you would be to read and listen to the Qur'an (amazing recitations on youtube). It's not anybodies opinion but the word of God, according to us. And please sis don't stop praying, as Allah says He will never leave a worshipper go empty handed after he/she has prayed to him.

Please read this article: http://www.suhaibwebb.com/personaldvlpt/worship/dua/tawakkul-trust-in-allah/ and I hope you find what your looking for. PM me if you need help. I pray you don't lose Islam inshaAllah xxx
Reply 4
Salaam :smile:

I know what you mean. Muslims have been given a very bad name because of a minority of nutheads that do things 'in the name of Islam' when its not Islam at ALL. Don't let there actions affect your faith.

What is it that you're actually 'doubting' as such? Anything in particular?

Firstly, like 'GreenTeaLeaf' said above, you should try and make some Muslim friends at the mosque etc - trying to make sure theyre the 'right kind' if you know what I mean?
Try reading Quran on a daily basis with translation.
But MOST IMPORTANTLY, PRAY that Allah helps you and guides you to whatever is right.
Allah has the power to change hearts and minds.
Inshallah, you'll be fine.
Feel free to PM me whenever you like, ill bemore than happy to help :smile:
I wouldn't mind a PM discussion.

I am a Muslim and I have often questioned my faith. But I find it weakens a lot but I don't know what to make of it. I have a feeling it's related to depressive moods.

I find it hard to blindly believe though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
hi

I didnt know where to put this so i thought this would be the best place. sorry if tis in the wrong place

basically I`m a muslim girl, brought up as a muslim, quite happy, I pray (well sometimes now), wear hijab, sing qawalis and spiritual music with guitar, and read alot about spirituality

i dont have any muslim friends so its like i have no1 to ask this to, it`s kind of like i dont belong and all the muslims around me are so messed up. some people claiming to be religeous be mean, put people down and make people feel really horrible. this isnt what i believe in?
AND, my version of religeon- the one based on purity, spirituality, and cleansing of the heart isnt what others believe in... they have it based of figures/acts you have to do/ my version of religeon is of love... am so confused.
so much that am not quite sure whether im even muslim anymore

so, what should I do?
I mean i could leave faith, but i know i`ll regret it later...

You should know that there is only one type of Islam which is Islam.....
If you follow an opinion and feel it's genuinely correct provided it gives proper evidence, etc then follow it.
For another Muslim to look down on you is completely wrong and against our faith as they're trying to cause disunity. It's not the way to speak to others at all.
Reply 7
Original post by ilovelabradors
Do you want an opinion from an agnostic person? Are you only looking for someone that tells you that there is a muslim God? :redface:

i dont mind tbh. a variety would be more balanced :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by BKS
I'm not a Muslim, I'm an athiest but I wanted to point out that based on what you said you are questioning other people's interpretation of Islam rather than your faith in god. It's a very different thing

thanks for that, i guess it is the interpretation that`s bothering me.
i guess your quite lucky in that you dont have to worry about any of these things! lol
Reply 9
Original post by maleeha95
Salaam :smile:

I know what you mean. Muslims have been given a very bad name because of a minority of nutheads that do things 'in the name of Islam' when its not Islam at ALL. Don't let there actions affect your faith.

What is it that you're actually 'doubting' as such? Anything in particular?

Firstly, like 'GreenTeaLeaf' said above, you should try and make some Muslim friends at the mosque etc - trying to make sure theyre the 'right kind' if you know what I mean?
Try reading Quran on a daily basis with translation.
But MOST IMPORTANTLY, PRAY that Allah helps you and guides you to whatever is right.
Allah has the power to change hearts and minds.
Inshallah, you'll be fine.
Feel free to PM me whenever you like, ill bemore than happy to help :smile:

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I wouldn't mind a PM discussion.

I am a Muslim and I have often questioned my faith. But I find it weakens a lot but I don't know what to make of it. I have a feeling it's related to depressive moods.

I find it hard to blindly believe though.

Original post by Iqbal007
You should know that there is only one type of Islam which is Islam.....
If you follow an opinion and feel it's genuinely correct provided it gives proper evidence, etc then follow it.
For another Muslim to look down on you is completely wrong and against our faith as they're trying to cause disunity. It's not the way to speak to others at all.

Original post by GreenTeaLeaf
Hi Sis!

I'm a muslim and I know how you're feeling, I think everyone gets to that point so don't feel alone. When I do have those feelings though, I always come back to Islam being the best thing in my life.

You don't have muslim friends, therefore you won't have much positive influence of muslims (not saying your non-muslim friends are not positive btw), which means the majority of muslims you will get to know are those on tv/media. Try and surround yourself with muslim company once in a while, like go to the mosque or something.

Another thing. I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem with muslims. But not ISLAM. Islam is not to blame for the act of a few muslims, so remember that when your questioning your faith. If there's something that a muslim person did and its bothering you, try and find answers and see if its really within Islam (ie I have problem with women being oppressed but its not in Islam, its some 'muslim' people who practice it'.

My suggestion to you would be to read and listen to the Qur'an (amazing recitations on youtube). It's not anybodies opinion but the word of God, according to us. And please sis don't stop praying, as Allah says He will never leave a worshipper go empty handed after he/she has prayed to him.

Please read this article: http://www.suhaibwebb.com/personaldvlpt/worship/dua/tawakkul-trust-in-allah/ and I hope you find what your looking for. PM me if you need help. I pray you don't lose Islam inshaAllah xxx

so i thought id group the responses by muslims together as they`re all quite similiar.

firstly i guess am just doubting the whole-part-of-a-whole-society role, i mean i also like singing hyms and visiting church as well which was really nice. BUT then i have to deal with muslims saying you are some evil person. how? i just like music and spiritual stuff, all all religeons do have the same moral values so i dont get it.

and theres not really any mosques around where i live (they`re really backward type so probably wouldnt even let me in)

i guess i shouldnt let others affect me, but it does, it`s hard to be part of something which you believe is amazing when everyone around you doesnt seem to have the same idea as you..

and the few that do, when you try talking to them, they just lecture you on stuff you`re NOT doing, telling you what`s good and bad company and tbh it gets really boring.
i dont mind tbh. a variety would be more balanced :smile:

I am not the philosopher type and I usually can't speak with eloquence about subjective matters. My friends call me (Dr Temperence) Bones (from the series Bones) so you see what you're dealing with. :shy2:

I don't believe in God and yes, I was brought up in a catholic famliy/used to go to church every sunday/believed in God until recently.

First I started to question my religion.... I was not buying the things that the priests used to tell in the church anymore.... I didn't believe in Mary, Jesus, Adam and Eve... But I felt good about myself when I was in church. Being there used to provide me with a feeling of peace. So I decided the catholic religion was not doing it for me and I also decided that I could believe my own thing, which was a God that doesn't have a face, that is simply a strenght but I still felt good about praying as it gave me a sense of confidence. Then I started to question myself again. I realised that the only reasons why I was holding to this new religion was the fear of losing faith. The problem? Once you get to that point it is already lost. I then GRADUALLY acknowledged that to me:
- the entitie I called God does not exist, altough you can call GOD to nature, to cosmos, whatever. But a creator, a force that protects u and listens to your prayers... Erm... No.
- the reason why I used to feel good about going to church was that we always feel good when we feel we are doing something right. I feel as good when I bake my mum a cake, when I help a old person cross the street or do something important to a friend/relative.
- the reason why I was refusing to accept that my faith was gone long ago was that it is tough, really tough, to let go of your comforting 'beliefs'. At this point those are not beliefs anymore, but well, I don't know what to call them. So yeah, it's a real shock.

Even now I still feel bad about expressing my views on certain aspects of faith to extremely religious people. They really can make you feel like a monster. But the way I see it, most of them are as scared of losing their faith as I once was. Also, some religions are really strict and definitely have a hudge impact on people's reasoning, a traumatic effect in some cases.

I don't know if you're living the same phase I have lived, but it sort of looks like it. However only u can find the aswer.
(edited 12 years ago)
so i thought id group the responses by muslims together as they`re all quite similiar.

firstly i guess am just doubting the whole-part-of-a-whole-society role, i mean i also like singing hyms and visiting church as well which was really nice. BUT then i have to deal with muslims saying you are some evil person. how? i just like music and spiritual stuff, all all religeons do have the same moral values so i dont get it.

and theres not really any mosques around where i live (they`re really backward type so probably wouldnt even let me in)

i guess i shouldnt let others affect me, but it does, it`s hard to be part of something which you believe is amazing when everyone around you doesnt seem to have the same idea as you..

and the few that do, when you try talking to them, they just lecture you on stuff you`re NOT doing, telling you what`s good and bad company and tbh it gets really boring.

I like visiting Churches too! I want to go to a synagogue one day too. I just find other religions and other forms of worship rather interesting. There are a lot of mosques where i live but I don't go to them because they're Sunni/Shia/Wahabbi and I don't believe in religious division. and then I tend to come across Muslims who leave me feeling angry for the whole day.

I sometimes feel I'm a bit too open minded to be a Muslim when I meet planks who take thinks a bit too seriously. lmao.

I also want a dog lol. My brothers want dogs too. Mostly huskies and GSDs.

I don't think I could ever lose faith in God though, no matter which God it is. I also think about this kind of stuff a lot. I don't know why but I tend to think way too much, especially when trying to write essays (right now lol :biggrin:) Life is pretty crap for me so I gotta hope there's something out there after this life that makes it worth it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey! Why are you leaving Islam if its the people around you that are bothering you? :s-smilie:

If they're not behaving like 'Muslims' then surely thats their fault and not Islams!

Stick to your deen sister, don't let anyone else's attitudes towards Islam put you off from practicing your faith. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ilovelabradors
I am not the philosopher type and I usually can't speak with eloquence about subjective matters. My friends call me (Dr Temperence) Bones (from the series Bones) so you see what you're dealing with. :shy2:

I don't believe in God and yes, I was brought up in a catholic famliy/used to go to church every sunday/believed in God until recently.

First I started to question my religion.... I was not buying the things that the priests used to tell in the church anymore.... I didn't believe in Mary, Jesus, Adam and Eve... But I felt good about myself when I was in church. Being there used to provide me with a feeling of peace. So I decided the catholic religion was not doing it for me and I also decided that I could believe my own thing, which was a God that doesn't have a face, that is simply a strenght but I still felt good about praying as it gave me a sense of confidence. Then I started to question myself again. I realised that the only reasons why I was holding to this new religion was the fear of losing faith. The problem? Once you get to that point it is already lost. I then GRADUALLY acknowledged that to me:
- the entitie I called God does not exist, altough you can call GOD to nature, to cosmos, whatever. But a creator, a force that protects u and listens to your prayers... Erm... No.
- the reason why I used to feel good about going to church was that we always feel good when we feel we are doing something right. I feel as good when I bake my mum a cake, when I help a old person cross the street or do something important to a friend/relative.
- the reason why I was refusing to accept that my faith was gone long ago was that it is tough, really tough, to let go of your comforting 'beliefs'. At this point those are not beliefs anymore, but well, I don't know what to call them. So yeah, it's a real shock.

Even now I still feel bad about expressing my views on certain aspects of faith to extremely religious people. They really can make you feel like a monster. But the way I see it, most of them are as scared of losing their faith as I once was. Also, some religions are really strict and definitely have a hudge impact on people's reasoning, a traumatic effect in some cases.

I don't know if you're living the same phase I have lived, but it sort of looks like it. However only u can find the aswer.

i guess its hard to decide whether you practise because it`s the right thing to do, or practice becasue you genuinely believe in the ideolgoies religeon expresses.

i guess leaving it would be hard.. and i dont want to be the type of person who only practices partially- iv always thought of religeon as a way of life which you can only appreciate if you do wholeheartedly, kind of like marriage. only works if you stick to it wholeheartedly...
Reply 14
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I like visiting Churches too! I want to go to a synagogue one day too. I just find other religions and other forms of worship rather interesting. There are a lot of mosques where i live but I don't go to them because they're Sunni/Shia/Wahabbi and I don't believe in religious division. and then I tend to come across Muslims who leave me feeling angry for the whole day.

I sometimes feel I'm a bit too open minded to be a Muslim when I meet planks who take thinks a bit too seriously. lmao.

I also want a dog lol. My brothers want dogs too. Mostly huskies and GSDs.

I don't think I could ever lose faith in God though, no matter which God it is. I also think about this kind of stuff a lot. I don't know why but I tend to think way too much, especially when trying to write essays (right now lol :biggrin:) Life is pretty crap for me so I gotta hope there's something out there after this life that makes it worth it.

really cool, we had a dog but it was too much to lookafter, so passed it onto someone who is totally devoted to him!

but when you sometimes think what am i doin? how do you know you`re doing the right thing.

yes i dont also believe in division, shame it always happens though..
Reply 15
Original post by Issy123
Hey! Why are you leaving Islam if its the people around you that are bothering you? :s-smilie:

If they're not behaving like 'Muslims' then surely thats their fault and not Islams!

Stick to your deen sister, don't let anyone else's attitudes towards Islam put you off from practicing your faith. :smile:

thanks, but i cant help letting others put me down. i feel religeously isolated?...
Original post by GreenTeaLeaf
It's not anybodies opinion but the word of God, according to us.

Then surely by definition that is an opinion not the word of god.
Reply 17
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The Prophet Muhammad (S) said: "Faith wears out in the heart of any one of you just as clothes wear out, so ask Allah to renew the faith in your hearts.
Try them out
1. Recognise and Repent
2. Perform Salah Regularly
Allah Almighty says in the Holy Qur�an:
"The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses -this Qur�an- are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their
3. Quranic Recitations-start with surah Yassen every morning if your capable
4. Engage in Dhikr (that is to remember Allah 24/7)
5.Voluntary Fasting
6.Remembering Death
7.Having Trust in Allah
8.Gaining knowledge
(edited 12 years ago)

Nothing is wrong with you. It's called being an intelligent, critical human being. In my opinion you should keep questioning your faith. Question everything. You will either end up doing two things: you will love your faith more, or you will realise it is pointless, doesn't answer any of life's dilemmas, limits the human life experience for no reason etc etc.

It is likely the second will occur if you properly question your faith. This is because the answers you will receive when questioning your faith will be unsatisfactory. They are never satisfactory if you apply a critical outlook. That is why so many people are turning away from faith and why there are so many more atheists now more than ever before: people are more educated and are free to think the way they want.

Don't let anyone tell you not to question your faith.

What you are describing is a person who wishes to live an enjoyable 'moral' (whatever that is) life, but does not care as much about mysticism and arbitrary organised religion nonsense. There's nothing wrong with this. You can live a happy moral life without religion.

Good luck in life!
i guess its hard to decide whether you practise because it`s the right thing to do, or practice becasue you genuinely believe in the ideolgoies religeon expresses.

i guess leaving it would be hard.. and i dont want to be the type of person who only practices partially- iv always thought of religeon as a way of life which you can only appreciate if you do wholeheartedly, kind of like marriage. only works if you stick to it wholeheartedly...

I guess so... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending