The Student Room Group

Gap Year

Is a gap year really worth it? I'm thinking of taking one between Sixth Form and Uni so I can get a full time job, save up some money, and bulk up at the gym :wink:

But yeah... Is it really worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by Nox123
Is a gap year really worth it? I'm thinking of taking one between Sixth Form and Uni so I can get a full time job, save up some money, and bulk up at the gym :wink:

But yeah... Is it really worth it?

Of course, lots of people take gap year. You can't expect no one to take a break from education or work.

Just be productive.
It's worth it if you have a plan. My friend went on a (forced) gap year and went abroad to do some charity work to enhance his application and got a place on his course (dentistry).
Reply 3
Original post by fourdigit
Of course, lots of people take gap year. You can't expect no one to take a break from education or work.

Just be productive.

I'm not planning to do some crazy "travel round the world" type of thing, I'm just going to literally take a year to settle down, get a full time job, and go to the gym so I can save up money and get in shape before I got to uni. Also so I can get some proper full time work experience on my CV.

But yeah, I'm just wondering if it would be easier/better to just go straight to uni.

I'm honestly split straight down the middle, but I've got over a year to decide so it's alright
Reply 4
Original post by Nox123
I'm not planning to do some crazy "travel round the world" type of thing, I'm just going to literally take a year to settle down, get a full time job, and go to the gym so I can save up money and get in shape before I got to uni. Also so I can get some proper full time work experience on my CV.

But yeah, I'm just wondering if it would be easier/better to just go straight to uni.

I'm honestly split straight down the middle, but I've got over a year to decide so it's alright

Well, if money is an issue, take a gap year or you can go to uni and work simultaneously.

First year of university doesn't count towards degree and it's easy.
Reply 5
Original post by fourdigit
Well, if money is an issue, take a gap year or you can go to uni and work simultaneously.

First year of university doesn't count towards degree and it's easy.

I'm going to have to work simultaneously regardless, as I plan on living in a student hall and my parents will be unable to put forward much if any money.

Quick Reply

Latest