The Student Room Group

Is higher art only useful for a career in art?

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by carmen_
Everyone says that I'm very artistic and I shouldn't take it for granted but I am planning on studying law so is art not worth my time? I take it at standard grade and it takes up SOO much time.

Thanks guys!:smile:
God loves you

Hi :smile:
Everyone always said I was good at art too, I used to draw a lot but I really want to study medicine. I got an A* at GCSE art despite nearly blowing up because of the work load. I decided to do an art course at college before I did A-levels because I wasn't ready to let go of the art side I had. It turned out that I really disliked studying and just made my passion for medicine even stronger knowing that I could focus solely on that. One of my friends on the course actually collapsed and split his head open on a field trip we were on, I knew exactly how to react because of first aid training i'd had at a medical science masterclass. That's what made me realise I was doing the wrong thing.
You have to explore both areas and choose which one you enjoy the most. I love art, I love drawing and painting but I absolutely despise the study of it, I find it boring and had absolutely no motivation to research it. For me, art is more of a hobby than a career. This could be totally different for you, If you want to make a career out of it, then study it higher, if not then maybe it's best to focus on what you really want to do! But by all means explore the subject further until you can come up with that decision. :smile:

Hope I could help, sorry if my sentences sound a bit off, I'm ridiculously tired! :')
Original post by carmen_
I also want to study medicine

Hold on, it was law a second ago... :p:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Hold on, it was law a second ago... :p:

She hasn't decided between law, medicine and journalism. According to the other thread. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
She hasn't decided between law, medicine and journalism. According to the other thread. :tongue:

Ah! :smile: (PRSOM.)
Reply 5
Original post by carmen_
Everyone says that I'm very artistic and I shouldn't take it for granted but I am planning on studying law so is art not worth my time? I take it at standard grade and it takes up SOO much time.

Thanks guys!:smile:
God loves you

I don't know really. It can come in surprisingly useful for a range of careers but I can't see it applying to law.

Careers where it can be useful (outside being a fine art practitioner)

Architecture
Journalism
Arts management
Archeology
All fields of design
Advertising/copywriting
Auction house advisors
Curators

etc etc

Its a shame to cut off something you are good at so early in life when you're still exploring all your options. I know people who have thought they wanted to be doctors but discovered their real passion lies somewhere else during higher study and they switch direction altogether. So its hard to totally know what you will end up wanting to do.

However setting aside direct career aspirations... in terms of your own interest and development as a person only you can know if it worth continuing with it as a study subject. It isn't strictly neccesary to be studying art as a college subject in order to practice it. You might enjoy art and related activities all your life as a hobby or just do short courses as and when you feel like it later.

Good luck deciding.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by carmen_
My friends big sister made this account for all of us to share so I'd appreciate if the rude comments would stop, thanks :smile:

I can't tell if you're trolling or being serious. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest