The Student Room Group

How valuable is a History degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rybee
Why so serious :X

You made a stupid post and now are trying to backpedal on the "I wasn't being serious for god sakes" ground.

Good job!
Most degrees give you skills employers want. The actual content is usually meaningless, if you enjoy history more then do it.
Reply 22
Original post by non
That's interesting because I thought for something like actuary you need a numerical degree because of the complicated exams that you have to do. How did you survive the exams?

Ask me in a month! To be honest the hardest thing so far has been balancing work and study - I haven't paced myself well at all and am paying the price now. This is my first sitting though so I'm still getting used to it, and I'm taking three different subjects which is a bit of a challenge. Some of the material I find hard, but if I revisit it a bit and practise questions it's not so bad. There's plenty of support from actuarial employers and a range of study materials to help you.

I did underestimate how rusty I was with maths to be honest. But I'm getting there :smile: No regrets!
Reply 23
Original post by Agenda Suicide
You made a stupid post and now are trying to backpedal on the "I wasn't being serious for god sakes" ground.

Good job!

You really think that I thought that the only place you could could work with a History degree was a Library or on a TV Programme called Time Team.

Wow you're an airhead.
Reply 24
Original post by crocker710
He who controls the past controls the future.

History isn't about knowledge of the past; it's about how you apply it to the future. Look at the current cabinet; how many of them studied History or subjects linked (politics/philosophy)?

Yeah, and just look at the current mess we're in. They haven't learnt from the past at all.
Reply 25
Very.
Original post by Rybee
You really think that I thought that the only place you could could work with a History degree was a Library or on a TV Programme called Time Team.

Wow you're an airhead.

Still trying.

My face:

5464523.jpg
Reply 27
Not worth the papercuts I'd get from wiping my arse with it.

Nah I'm joking. Shows you've got a brain and I think a lot of employers don't really mind which subject you studied.
Original post by mevidek
Very.

Serious?
Reply 29
Original post by Rybee
It's bull****. You can either work in a library or work on time team.

Economics > History every day of the week and every week of the year hands down.

Dont' agree with the first part, but definitely with the second....as a former student of history (I think it's a great subject) I have to admit, personally my biggest regret was not doing economics.

Economics graduates have a far better average salary, and are well favoured by general employers...I was talking to someone the other a day doing a post grad course in real estate who had a 1st history degree from Nottingham, described that he found employers just don't want history graduates as they can have maths and science ones.
Reply 30
History opens doors.

People seem to assume the study of the past is only relevant to the past.

The skills you gain are invaluable for lots of jobs and it develops your argumentative, analytical and overall skills that become useful in every day life.

Many history graduates go on to work in law, politics, the civil service, estate agents, museums, teachings and a surprising amount also go into working with money. (I still have no idea why this is, ps Gordon Brown, George Osborne. Guess what they studied).

So yeah, don't listen to all that piffle. History is a great traditional subject, very employable, very useful and at the same time very fun if you like it.

I concur with this post, as a relatively recent graduate of History at Oxford my former classmates have all gone on to careers such as teaching, journalism, consultancy, banking, government and NGO work. Others have become lawyers with a year or so further study at institutions such as BPP since the skills used for both disciplines are very similar.

The key with history is that it is not a degree which leads directly to a job (that's not what university was intended for in any case) but it gives you a package of skills attractive to most employers. Writing, research skills, communication, critical thinking etc. It can, depending on your modules and thesis, give you good familiarity with other disciplines.

It is a wonderful discipline to study and is very rewarding. I must note however that History can be a more difficult degree to market than most others and the quality of teaching and academic rigour of the course varies greatly between universities. As such, if I am to be quite frank, if you're going to do history you should really only aim to do it in the UK's top 10-15 universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Jelkin
Ask me in a month! To be honest the hardest thing so far has been balancing work and study - I haven't paced myself well at all and am paying the price now. This is my first sitting though so I'm still getting used to it, and I'm taking three different subjects which is a bit of a challenge. Some of the material I find hard, but if I revisit it a bit and practise questions it's not so bad. There's plenty of support from actuarial employers and a range of study materials to help you.

I did underestimate how rusty I was with maths to be honest. But I'm getting there :smile: No regrets!

How would you compare actuary to accountancy? For pay and hours?
But isn't the Maths tht you are doing is really complicated and I don't know how you are surviving. Did you do Maths at a level?
Reply 32
Original post by crocker710
He who controls the past controls the future.

Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now controls the past
Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now?
Now testify!
Original post by Vanbrugh
I concur with this post, as a relatively recent graduate of History at Oxford my former classmates have all gone on to careers such as teaching, journalism, consultancy, banking, government and NGO work. Others have become lawyers with a year or so further study at institutions such as BPP since the skills used for both disciplines are very similar.

The key with history is that it is not a degree which leads directly to a job (that's not what university was intended for in any case) but it gives you a package of skills attractive to most employers. Writing, research skills, communication, critical thinking etc. It can, depending on your modules and thesis, give you good familiarity with other disciplines.

It is a wonderful discipline to study and is very rewarding. I must note however that History can be a more difficult degree to market than most others and the quality of teaching and academic rigour of the course varies greatly between universities. As such, if I am to be quite frank, if you're going to do history you should really only aim to do it in the UK's top 10-15 universities.

Is Manchester okay, or would you say it's a waste of time doing it there?
Reply 34
Original post by theOldBean
As a mathematician I should probably let someone else answer this, but I would point out there are degree courses out there that let you do both at the same time.

When I googled History with Economics I found out that Oxford do exactly that, and I imagine others do as well; either as part of the title, or as an elective.

As a fellow mathematician I can say that especially with regards to some aspects of pure maths we're not completely innocent when it comes to aspects of education that don't really have a direct application to things. =P
Reply 35
(I still have no idea why this is, ps Gordon Brown, George Osborne. Guess what they studied).

If they studied Economics and learned some basic theory, then maybe this country wouldn't be in such a financial mess.
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Is Manchester okay, or would you say it's a waste of time doing it there?

Manchester is fairly good for history, but they also offer V136 which is history with economics too!

Frankly, history is a useful degree, if from a good university, like all degrees! The skills are transferable, and for most jobs work experience matters more than the degree. Which is why you can (as I've personally seen) have History undergraduates from Birmingham working alongside LSE economists in the City (though I don't really know the exact workings of the company they were employed by). It's all about personal ability, work experience and the prestige of the university in question.
Reply 37
The general consensus of TSR and society would encourage you to do a more prestigious degree than history. You should do exactly as they say. Please do not do something you are actually interested in. Do a degree which you are not interested in such as maths or economics. This way, you can than be shovelled into a dull, boring job in the finance sector. You will spend the majority of your life as a slave staring at numbers on a computer screen but don't worry because you will be paid a lot of money. Remember, money is the most important thing in the entire universe and you should spend every day trying to obtain as much as possible of it. Nevermind the fact that you will spend the majority of your life in unrelenting boredom, think of all the money you will be able to spend in your very limited free time! You can become an admirable consumer and buy lots of pointless items that you don't need and make a very valuable contribution to the national economy. And better yet, you will get to flaunt your "success" under the pretence of your job title! Thank you for embracing the wonderfully flawless system that is capitalism in all its might and glory and thank you for supporting the matrix. Have a nice day.
English teacher, attacking humanities. Really?

Justify existence? I don't know much myself but I know two people now that when they went to their (science and maths) uni interviews were told they were at an advantage of having history as an A2 subject because they were sick of getting people who were all maths maths science science and couldn't write a proper essay nevermind being to start form argumentative and evaluative skills.

Just sayin'
Reply 39
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Serious?

Yes, History is an incredibly valuable degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending