Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I live alone? (Ldn thread)

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going into my fourth year (final year) and would really like some peace and quiet. I was living in a house of five people, but it's not a great house, and some of the others fell out with each other creating a bad atmosphere, and I don't want to live there for another year. I have some questions:

- Is it normal to move out from year to year? Or do students normally find a house in second year and stay there? I feel pressured to stay...

- How can I find somewhere to live alone?

- Do landlords let to students living alone? All the letting websites constantly say 'No DSS' and 'No students' how will I ever find somewhere?

- Is it a good idea to live alone, especially in london?

Alternatively... I wouldn't mind living with one other person, provided they were clean and friendly. But again, a lot of landlords don't seem to want to rent two bedroom apartments (nice ones) to students 'professionals only.' Don't landlords understand that a lot of students aren't into partying and getting drunk all the time and are actually serious people?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just make new friends and move in with them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer all of your questions but I know its possible to live alone in London as a student.
    I'm moving there in September and I'm going to be living in a self contained studio. I'm going to do postgrad and I wanted to make sure I got some peace and quiet too!
    Other than it being more expensive, I can't see how living alone in London would be any different to living alone in any other city. Having said that I've never lived there before so I can't be sure whether its a good idea, I'll have to wait and see on that one!
    As far as finding somewhere goes the best advice I can give you really is to go on accomodationforstudents.com. You can search for self contained accomodation on there and it will save you having to sift through listings that won't let to students.
    Hope that's of some help!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could try halls again - I realise that doesn't quite match your plan of living alone, but as a final year student you'd get put in with people of your age, rather than freshers. I did it this year and it's honestly the quietest flat I've ever lived in, even though it's on campus (so brilliant for access to the library, etc).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 26, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.