Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

English Literature with Creative Writing at UEA

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to get my creative writing portfolio as near perfect as I can, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping somebody could answer for me!

1) If (hopefully!) I do get asked to send a portfolio, how soon after sending my application am I likely to be asked? And will I send it via UCAS, or through email, through post etc?

2) How should I lay it out? Should I put the title of each piece at the top? And also, for the extract from a novel, should I include a couple of sentences explaining what the novel's about, or what my inspiration for it was or something?

If anyone could help me out, I'd really, really appreciate it!
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    1)You'll get an email from the Lit admissions team asking you for a portfolio and they'll specify the number of pages (7) and the requirements. They asked me for 7 pages and a 500 word summary and that's where I wrote about my inspiration and what they were about etc. My email ended up in my junk folder so make sure you check! They give you a choice to email your portfolio or send it to them by post. According to my iphone calendar () , I applied on the 4th November and got a portfolio request on the 20th.

2) I just used one of the word formatting thingies to make the titles stand out so it looked like XXXX but I just think that as long as it's obvious where each piece begins and ends, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    1)You'll get an email from the Lit admissions team asking you for a portfolio and they'll specify the number of pages (7) and the requirements. They asked me for 7 pages and a 500 word summary and that's where I wrote about my inspiration and what they were about etc. My email ended up in my junk folder so make sure you check! They give you a choice to email your portfolio or send it to them by post. According to my iphone calendar () , I applied on the 4th November and got a portfolio request on the 20th.

2) I just used one of the word formatting thingies to make the titles stand out so it looked like XXXX but I just think that as long as it's obvious where each piece begins and ends, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much!
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RalphsDisciple)
    Thank you so much!
    No probs! Good luck!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Think of the successful writers who have been there, including Kazuo Ishiguro.
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Good luck. Think of the successful writers who have been there, including Kazuo Ishiguro.
    Won't that just increase the pressure?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you recieved an offer? Hope you were successful
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnorman)
    Have you recieved an offer? Hope you were successful
    I did I got one yesterday!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RalphsDisciple)
    I did I got one yesterday!
    Oh cool, thats great. You must have done a good portfolio in the end then!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know there are only limited places, my question is: Do they ask for a written portfolio of work? or a piece to be written to demonstrate your skill and individual talent? Or is it purely based on grades?

Edit: This is for the creative writing course at UEA
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even been asked for my portfolio yet (if ever!) . Anyone else in the same boat, or has anyone not been contacted after 1 month+ of applying?

I applied Jan 14th though... Forever waiting... I am not expecting it any more, I know how competitive it is, but oh man do I want an offer from them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS on Jan 14th, and have yet to be asked for a portfolio... Is it at the point now where they are probably not going to ask me for one and reject me? I know it is incredibly competitive, so I understand if that is the case - but is anyone else in the same situation/can shed some light?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nobody?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunAroundOnMe)
    I haven't even been asked for my portfolio yet (if ever!) . Anyone else in the same boat, or has anyone not been contacted after 1 month+ of applying?

I applied Jan 14th though... Forever waiting... I am not expecting it any more, I know how competitive it is, but oh man do I want an offer from them.
    Hi, Just to help you gauge a rough timescale this is how it worked out for me; I sent my application on 23rd October and I had an email back asking for a portfolio 23rd November, I sent my portfolio 14th Decemeber and they made me an offer on 16th Janurary. Hope you here something soon! Good Luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sent seven pages of work they asked for over a month ago. Have heard nothing back from them. When can I expect to?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.