The Student Room Group

The 'I have got on to a PGCE Course 2012-2013' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I've been offered a conditional place at the Uni of Nottingham for secondary English!! Woooo!! :smile:
Original post by Stephzeh
Yes I am also going to go for uni accommodation as I also think it will be easier in the long run, despite the hassle of the course not fitting the start contracts. Also will you be taking a car? I can drive but don't currently own a car, and a bit concerned about how to get to the placements, if they will be easy to get to by public transport or not.

Having studied and lived in a city which doesn't really accommodate cars (Cambridge - bikes rule the centre of town!) I still haven't got round to learning (had 3 lessons and my instructor went crazy at me and swore at me cos he was in a really bad mood and I stalled! Haven't got round to going back yet, despite his numerous apologies and attempts!)

I know someone who is also starting the PGCE at Leicester and she has a car so if our placements are in far-away places then she's said I can share with her and I'll contribute to petrol costs. I'm guessing there will be others doing the same thing (and I'm sure she'd be fine to someone else sharing if you happen to be in the same place!) Otherwise, I've got my fingers crossed for public transport!

What you doing at the moment until you start? Btw I'm quite bad at checking this, so feel free to drop me a line on [email protected] or find me on fb.
Original post by twosugars
I've (unofficially) been offered a place at University of Cumbria MFL! Can't believe it, I'm so pleased. Just got to wait for the offer on gttr so I can see the conditions.

Well Done, I have got on the lower Primary PGCE at carlisle what campus will you be at??
Original post by Daftdonkey
I have just found out I have a conditional offer for Warwick Primary PGCE :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Anyone else for there?

Hey! I had an interview there on 15th March and am dying to know if I've got a place!
I just wondered how long you had to wait to find out? Thanks, Laura :smile:
Reply 504
Hey, I got offered a place on a SCITT today but then GTTR say ive been unsuccessful? any ideas? i have emailed the SCITT provider so hopefully its sorted tomorrow :/
Same happened to me. I told my univeristy and they told me I had to get in touch with gttr tell them that has happened as they are aware of the problem.It is due to your interview being later in the year so gttr instead of setting it to provider asking for more time they have declined it. You will have to withdraw from all other choices and reapply to your scitt so they can offer you a place. X
Original post by laura_8536
Hey! I had an interview there on 15th March and am dying to know if I've got a place!
I just wondered how long you had to wait to find out? Thanks, Laura :smile:

Hi Laura
It was about a week and a half afterwards, I got an email from Warwick before it changed on GTTR.

Good luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 507
Hi guys,
I applied on GTTR last week (very late -- I know) and my first choice is University of Sheffield for a French with German PGCE.

In order to get ready for the interview, I have been reading the Education pages of the Guardian but apart from the debate on free schools, what are the current issues?
What else did you do to get ready for the interview?
Did you use any websites/resources to help you get ready?

Also, is it true that some universities test you on numeracy (even for a PGCE in MFL)?

I'm really scared :frown:
Thank you for your help!

AABG
The TES rescources are very good- search PGCE interview questions and there are loads. TES online has all its articles too, so read up on them its the best place to read about educational issues.

Good luck!
Reply 509
Original post by AABG1989
Hi guys,
I applied on GTTR last week (very late -- I know) and my first choice is University of Sheffield for a French with German PGCE.

In order to get ready for the interview, I have been reading the Education pages of the Guardian but apart from the debate on free schools, what are the current issues?
What else did you do to get ready for the interview?
Did you use any websites/resources to help you get ready?

Also, is it true that some universities test you on numeracy (even for a PGCE in MFL)?

I'm really scared :frown:
Thank you for your help!

AABG

Hello, I just got a place at University of Cumbria for French with German. I just went on Guardian education and read up for current things about secondary schools and the English bacc. Also I went on the TDA website http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/subject-information-enhancement/teach-mfl/teach-french.aspx

(You've probs read this already) but it says things like to promote the language teachers should speak it amongst themselves outside the classroom, and also that some lessons of history for example could be taught in the foreign language (it talks about that on the German page).
At the interview I just spoke v briefly about the pros and cons of the English bacc, the fact that GCSEs will no longer be modular, this idea of bilingual teaching and also how in this day and age young people are very used to technology and how that can be used to create good lessons eg doing podcasts etc.

That's about all that I did. I also had to teach a lesson for beginners, write an essay in English, an essay in German and a German correction task and a short piece in French. I didn't do numeracy but we do all have to do numeracy and literacy tests in the year.

Hope that helps a bit.
Reply 510
Thank you StarBabyCat for your help, the question bank I found there is really good.
Congratulations, twosugars! And thank you so much for your help.
The problem I have is that I'm French so there is a lot to learn and know.
I will look into details about the English Baccalaureate. About that, what's the difference between the English Bacc and the International Bacc? Some of my pupils last year (I've been working as an FLA for a couple of years) were doing the IB so I'm a bit confused :/.
Thank you!
Reply 511
Original post by AABG1989
Thank you StarBabyCat for your help, the question bank I found there is really good.
Congratulations, twosugars! And thank you so much for your help.
The problem I have is that I'm French so there is a lot to learn and know.
I will look into details about the English Baccalaureate. About that, what's the difference between the English Bacc and the International Bacc? Some of my pupils last year (I've been working as an FLA for a couple of years) were doing the IB so I'm a bit confused :/.
Thank you!

Well the difference is is that it's not really a qualification in its own right. Basically if a child gains an A*-C GCSE in the five core subjects: MFL, English, Maths, Science and a humanity (geog or history) then they have achieved the English Bacc.
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/qualifications/englishbac/a0075975/theenglishbaccalaureate
Original post by Daftdonkey
Hi Laura
It was about a week and a half afterwards, I got an email from Warwick before it changed on GTTR.

Good luck!! :biggrin:

Great, thanks for your reply! Still waiting with fingers crossed... Congratulations, and hopefully see you in September! :smile:
Reply 513
Original post by twosugars
Well the difference is is that it's not really a qualification in its own right. Basically if a child gains an A*-C GCSE in the five core subjects: MFL, English, Maths, Science and a humanity (geog or history) then they have achieved the English Bacc.
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/qualifications/englishbac/a0075975/theenglishbaccalaureate

Hi all,

Ive been offered a place at Middlesex University for the PGCE primary course starting September 2012.
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back as id love to make some friends before the course starts :smile:

xxx
Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
Just got my welcome pack from Middlesex! :smile: I'm getting more and more excited!

So much paperwork to fill out :tongue:

Hi,

Congratulations on getting a place on the PGCE. Are you by any chance doing the primary PGCE at Middlesex?

x
Reply 516
Anyone else on the university of Bath middle years science PGCE?
anyone going to the university of plymouth?
Hi

Just got accepted onto Institute of Education Primary for September 2012.

Anyone else out there?

Congratulations to everyone :smile:
Got a letter with permission to live at home for my PGCE, beautiful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending