Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for the upcoming Sixth form (current year 11s)

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought this would benefit many people who have finished their GCSE's and will be moving on to AS Levels in September. I found these tips and thought they'd help you guys.

If anyone has any other tips I'll add them, feel free to take a look at every post because some give advice on things like what subjects to avoid and to encourage you on how revision is key etc.

Here they are..
    Spoiler:
    Show

Be organised - keep every subjects notes in one seperate folder or ringbinder, always make sure you have a large notepad with you to make notes on as the school isn't obliged to provide paper for you. You are now entirely responsible for your education. Make sure you buy revision books on the first week from amazon or else and try and find out what are the best revision books for each respective subject you have chosen. Also make sure that each one of them is tailored to your respective exam board. Also have a specification handy for each subject.

Don't be late - Don't want any of those ema packets going down the drain. If you ever happen to be late use one of the many excuses to hopefully get away with it

Work hard during class - Don't ever let your concentration slip through and keep on making sure that you've absorbed everything you've learnt by asking questions. This will make everything so much easier come revision time as you won't have to learn the information you'll merely need to revise it.

Work hard at home - To make sure you don't have to agonise over cramming which I personally cannot do at all [I can't work under high pressure and panic] make sure that everyday - after school - you go over what you've learnt on that day and maybe rewrite your notes if you can. This will save so much time and you'll probally not have to revise as much as other people come holidays.

One tip to make sure you have a swift time at A2 - After your AS’s in the summer re-sit any modules which you have achieve less than 90% in, in January. !! It’ll be a great help come summer when you do your A2 modules to have 3 less modules to do! Then in the summer you’ll only have to aim for about 70% overall in your A2’s. Forget about the expense of re-sitting, it’s nothing. BINGO. You have your 3 or 4 A’s at A-level.

Start coursework as soon as its set [*Sparkle*] - I guess thats logical because coursework at A-level is probally much more intensive and timetaking than GCSE c.w which is quite simple to do such as Science c.w. However, A-level will probally be very different and it does count for quite a bit of your final module grade.

Use a diary [ - Life at A-level is hectic, you're in the deep end and you need to be really organised to maintain a steady, simplified and harmonious learning curve in your lessons. A Diary will help you do that - a small notebook will suffice - just write down the h.w thats due in, things you need to ask and do and anything else you can think of

Don't be silly and pick 10 gazzilion subjects - What are you trying to prove by doing this? I understand the notion that one may want to get as much education as possible out of their last 2 years in schooling - fair enough but don't over do it. Pick 5 AS Levels at most - only if you have to! Remember, you will not have an advantage at all when it comes to applying for university and thats the honest truth. I understand why you may think that having more a levels will make you more endearing [ this is what I used to think and I got really happy and said "yeah im gonna pick 10 a levels". Members of thestudentroom knocked some into me and know I can tell you, just pick 4 - please - for your own sake.
    If you can add to this list your help will be highly appreciated by the many who have finished their GCSE's including me.

Outside of school - Try and work as hard as you can in school so you don't need to compensate for it at home. Also make sure if you have one [part time job] - make sure it doesn't [cant find out the word] into your education.

Make sure your predictions... - Another small thing that people forget, you'll need high predictions to be considered for a university so beg on your knees to your teacher just before she's/he's about to finalise them to make sure you get what you want out of life. Low predictions are small things set by teachers but they can cost you your future and so make damn sure your teacher realises that, especially if you're really passionate about your future uni course. Indeed, good homework presentation, punctuality, high test practice results and generally good behaviour and being bright will do this naturally without the begging on the knees.

What is stopping you from doing revision 1 month away from the exam? - Usually for most people, admittedly me - its instant messaging or the popular Windows Live messenger - uninstall it if it actually stops you from getting things done that need to be done - if not then great for you , I actually unistalled it a few weeks before my GCSE's and got down to it. Other things in life which may also stop you from revising cos their too much darn fun are the games. PC games, 360, DS ... whatever it is whether its a hobby or a outside activity don't let it intefere with your revision during this time. Remember, once you start revising, usually if you understand what you're reading you get into the right mood after a few mins and things from there just carry on.

Past Papers - Do them. Read the mark schemes and learn what the examiners are looking for. I found that I'd dropped a few marks in my past papers for not writing out my working out - don't allow yourself to lose marks for stupid reasons. Science exams are especially critical with the mark schemes. Do 'homework' on the same day/week as the lesson, so that it sinks in more and you actually understand it so you're not stuck wondering how on earth you find the argument of 3+4i three days before your exam.

Also, when you revise, revise smartly - revise the way it benefits you most. I know some people who get stuff to sink in by reading things over and over again, whilst some people revise by doing stuff and I revise better by working out why something works. Don't make a timetable if it's not going to benefit you. I didn't use one because I found I got more done when I felt like working as opposed to 'at 5pm for two hours with fifteen minute breaks'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    don't spend too much time on tsr
    revise for your exams because even if u think u have done well when you come out of them that might not actually turn out to be true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice!

I'd say the sooner you get to be self starting and independent the easier the transition will be.

I think you also need to be honest and open; if you're bright it may be the first time you "Can't do it" or struggle with new learning. Make sure you ask for additional guidance to overcome these hurdles - that's what the strong A-level students do not the weaker ones.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Work in ALL your frees. And yes, I mean ALL. Trust me, it's easier this way, honest
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Notes are your new best friend. If you miss a lesson catch up on the notes and expand on them from as many textbooks as possible, especially if your teacher doesn't seem to explain things too well. You can't get away with it like during GCSEs :l
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    From my experience. Don't do an art subject unless you are sure you want to do it at uni because everyone I know and took one and doesn't want to take it at uni hates the subject and it takes up valuable revision time
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    when you don't understand something, don't think 'oh i'll just revise it and get it before exams'
    go find your teacher and sort it out - makes exams so much easier!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em807)
    Work in ALL your frees. And yes, I mean ALL. Trust me, it's easier this way, honest
    Nah, You need breaks. I would have be insane if I did this.

(Original post by JordanS94)
    From my experience. Don't do an art subject unless you are sure you want to do it at uni because everyone I know and took one and doesn't want to take it at uni hates the subject and it takes up valuable revision time
    Are you referring to non sciencey subjects? If so nobody take this guys advice. Do what you enjoy, and what you want to do in the future.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The teacher may or may not know what will help you pass an exam. The past papers and mark schemes definitely do know. If you just want to pass your exams, just practice doing them. If you want to actually learn something, well, I don't know. I haven't learnt very much in sixth form.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Nah, You need breaks. I would have be insane if I did this.
    It's good to have a break but this way you do get evenings and weekends off, except for the occasional essay or coursework piece...
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get something do you just ask out in the middle of the lesson, or would you stay behind after school?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, work hard in AS and put effort into coursework. This means that when you get to A2, you may not need to get an A in this exam to get an A overall. Makes life easier
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    If you don't get something do you just ask out in the middle of the lesson, or would you stay behind after school?
    I speak to teachers at the end of the lesson, especially if I'm struggling with stuff everyone else seems to understand. If you're finding something really hard, ask if you can arrange a half hour with your teacher outside of lessons (they have frees too) to go and work through it with them. All my teachers have been more than happy to help in this way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    If it's a proper 'I don't know what the hell we've just covered' moment, then stay behind or go back at lunch or in a free to sort it, and they should explain it properly or in a different way so you understand it. But if it's a little question just go for it. But that being said, there's a guy in some of my lessons who asks a question a minute and confuses everyone else by coming to random misunderstood conclusions :banghead:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Are you referring to non sciencey subjects? If so nobody take this guys advice. Do what you enjoy, and what you want to do in the future.
    No I just mean Art and Textiles stuff because the amount you need to do interferes with your other subjects. I would only recommend it if you really want to do it.
    Example this January I had 3 exams 1 on Friday 1 on the Monday and 1 on the Wednesday and my deadline for my coursework was on the Tuesday. Which interfered with my revision for the Wednesday Exam and got lower than expected.
    Plus all I can think about is that subject because it has so much work.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    WORK HARD AT AS!

My AS scores were good enough that to get AAA this year I have to get BBC in the summer. Put in the work early and you leave yourself margin for error in A2
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    No I just mean Art and Textiles stuff because the amount you need to do interferes with your other subjects. I would only recommend it if you really want to do it.
    Example this January I had 3 exams 1 on Friday 1 on the Monday and 1 on the Wednesday and my deadline for my coursework was on the Tuesday. Which interfered with my revision for the Wednesday Exam and got lower than expected.
    Plus all I can think about is that subject because it has so much work.
    Yes Agreed. haha
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this advise am more stressd about getting my coursework out of the way so that i can revise for the 15 exams comig in less then 1.5 months to come! thanks i will defo look at this agian when i finish school thanks again.

p.s i thumbd u!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's harder than GCSE.
    It gets boring.
    Bleh
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Work at AS. A2 is a LOT harder.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 5, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.