The Student Room Group

China Triumph and Turmoil? **** off

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MrFlash1994
Well I love how you seem to deffend the British Empire by suggesting they ran the countries they colonised better, as If humanity didn't exist before the British...

And Chinese civilization btw is one of the worlds oldest, continuing civilizations. Never has China been completely invaded or ruled. I think they'll be fine mate :wink:

I didn't say they wouldn't.. I said they probably would have been better off under our rule than Maos... Just look at HK and singapore if you don't believe me. The same goes for India and much of africa too.
Reply 61
Original post by Elipsis
I didn't say they wouldn't.. I said they probably would have been better off under our rule than Maos... Just look at HK and singapore if you don't believe me. The same goes for India and much of africa too.

India and Pakistan have been in a Cold War with each other for nearly 65 years because some white, british nob decided to partition the country by drawing a random line between the two countries with no thought behind it whatsoever.

Oh and don't flatter yourself, India's ''democracy'' is one of the main reasons it hasn't reached it's full potential. And most of its rail network was built AFTER the brits left. When it comes to India, the brits stole far more than they gave. If the brits are so generous, why don't they give back the Queen's crown, since they stole it from India.
Original post by Elipsis
Why is it that foreigners, or foreigner appologists, always try and validate everything they are trying to defend by saying that my great great great grandad lived in a time when we did those things? Anyone would think all the other countries on earth had clean hands.

Just because things happened in a different generation doesn't mean it didn't happen or should be omitted from history.

The point I'm making is that Ferguson rants about China skewing its history. True but he made no attempt to talk about the British (and US) involvement, with regard to the Opium Wars, Nanking Treaty, etc., so effectively he's a hypocrite.
Original post by Elipsis

China already has a far superior economy to ours, india its predicted will have surpassed us inside 5 years. If you are going to debate this subject, finish your GCSEs first, instead of embarrassing everyone else here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Oh and China is WAY overrated. They built their economy on cheap labour and exports. Their $3 Trillion reserves were built up using unfair trade practices, which will run out anyway since the Chinese will not be able to lead on exporting forever and their import bill of oil and natural resources is growing every year ultimately leading to a trade deficit rather than a surplus.

Chinese are hardworking and studious, that does not make them super-intellegent as some seem to think. Being able to copy from a textbook to achieve high test scores is a lot different to being able to innovate and problem solve. Most ''new'' Chinese technology is either 30 years old Western/Soviet technology (such as their space program, J-20 stealth fighter) or stolen from the West (fake iphones, really?). They have not built their economy or modern culture on innovation and invention. Rather on the cheapest, fastest way to get rich and developed. This attitude is why China's total debt is three times their GDP. All that fancy infrastructure, paid for with borrowed money.

The Chinese are a decedent as the west. They use their history to justify why they should be seen as a great power today. Who cares about history? The present and future are all that matter. In the future China will have to test it's mettle against others. Then we'll see if their words and posturing are backed up by their ability.
Reply 65
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
China already has a far suprior economy to ours, india its predicted will have surpassed us inside 5 years. If you are going to debate this subject, finish your GCSEs first, instead of embarrassing everyone else here.

Well, it has a larger economy than the British one. But per person, the British are far more wealthy. I mean GDP per capita is higher in Peru and Lebanon than China.
Reply 66
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
China already has a far suprior economy to ours, india its predicted will have surpassed us inside 5 years. If you are going to debate this subject, finish your GCSEs first, instead of embarrassing everyone else here.

India already has by PPP GDP rates. By nominal GDP rates it will surpass UK by 2015.
Reply 67
Original post by Yawn!
India and Pakistan have been in a Cold War with each other for nearly 65 years because some white, british nob decided to partition the country by drawing a random line between the two countries with no thought behind it whatsoever.

Oh and don't flatter yourself, India's ''democracy'' is one of the main reasons it hasn't reached it's full potential. And most of its rail network was built AFTER the brits left. When it comes to India, the brits stole far more than they gave. If the brits are so generous, why don't they give back the Queen's crown, since they stole it from India.

India an have been in a cold war because Islamist asswipes insisted they got their own state out of it.... We just obliged. India's democracy is failing them because of corruption at the highest level, and because they aren't going to instantly make something work that is alien to their culture. India didn't even exist as a concept til we got there, and it wasn't even mapped... Stop expecting me to feel bad because people who happen to be British didn't behave perfectly over 100 years ago. Every nation has this stuff in their history - Islam can trace it's history of doing it right back to their so called prophet.
Reply 68
Original post by Yawn!
Oh and China is WAY overrated. They built their economy on cheap labour and exports. Their $3 Trillion reserves were built up using unfair trade practices, which will run out anyway since the Chinese will not be able to lead on exporting forever and their import bill of oil and natural resources is growing every year ultimately leading to a trade deficit rather than a surplus.

Chinese are hardworking and studious, that does not make them super-intellegent as some seem to think. Being able to copy from a textbook to achieve high test scores is a lot different to being able to innovate and problem solve. Most ''new'' Chinese technology is either 30 years old Western/Soviet technology (such as their space program, J-20 stealth fighter) or stolen from the West (fake iphones, really?). They have not built their economy or modern culture on innovation and invention. Rather on the cheapest, fastest way to get rich and developed. This attitude is why China's total debt is three times their GDP. All that fancy infrastructure, paid for with borrowed money.

The Chinese are a decedent as the west. They use their history to justify why they should be seen as a great power today. Who cares about history? The present and future are all that matter. In the future China will have to test it's mettle against others. Then we'll see if their words and posturing are backed up by their ability.

In my view. By 2050 - 2100 the world's superpowers will be.

China
USA
European Union
India

And great regional powers

Turkey
Brazil
Iran
Indonesia
South Africa
Egypt
Mexico
Russia (if it has not joined the European Union)
Japan (providing it sorts out it's demographics)

What I think people forget is that both China and India will have to spend a lot of money bringing hundreds of millions of people upwards and out of poverty. The EU and the USA have a head start in being able to spend surplus cash less on creating a middle class and more on research and military strength that can project their power across the world. I don't think China or India can really claim the role of "superpower" until the Chinese and Indian people are individually as wealthy as say somewhere like Estonia or Poland. There is a lot more to being a "superpower" than simply having a high national GDP.

I personally think you are being hard on China. It is true that at the moment their economic philosophy seems to be a.) make lots of stuff for corporations or b.) copy western technology. I think ultimately China will find a means of unlocking it's creativity (probably through reforms of it's political system to a democracy and reforms of it's education system).
Reply 69
Original post by Yawn!

First paragraph, fair enough.

Yes the Chinese by nature are hardworking, I actually wish I had a propper Chinese work ethic for revision! But China has a culture of inovation and science. The list of Chinese inventions goes on forever. A pretty big one actually is MATHS. Well the number 0 which opens up a whole new level of Maths apparently! Not forgetting the Arab development of it too.

And I do agree that China is decadent. They have a taste for some of the most tasteless western consumer products. In some ways they actually take it too far. And China doesn't try any justify anything, they don't need to. And we always must at least try to learn from history. Well I really hope China won't have to prove itself to anyone, and who is the other btw, Is it Britain? America? Israel???
Reply 70
Original post by Ferdowsi
In my view. By 2050 - 2100 the world's superpowers will be.

China
USA
European Union
India

And great regional powers

Turkey
Brazil
Iran
Indonesia
South Africa
Egypt
Mexico
Russia (if it has not joined the European Union)
Japan (providing it sorts out it's demographics)

What I think people forget is that both China and India will have to spend a lot of money bringing hundreds of millions of people upwards and out of poverty. The EU and the USA have a head start in being able to spend surplus cash less on creating a middle class and more on research and military strength that can project their power across the world. I don't think China or India can really claim the role of "superpower" until the Chinese and Indian people are individually as wealthy as say somewhere like Estonia or Poland. There is a lot more to being a "superpower" than simply having a high national GDP.

I personally think you are being hard on China. It is true that at the moment their economic philosophy seems to be a.) make lots of stuff for corporations or b.) copy western technology. I think ultimately China will find a means of unlocking it's creativity (probably through reforms of it's political system to a democracy and reforms of it's education system).

What role do you think Israel will play? And Britain, in it's heyday was riddled with poverty but it still owned a 5th of the world. So superpower status probably can be attained by China.
Reply 71
Original post by Elipsis
India an have been in a cold war because Islamist asswipes insisted they got their own state out of it.... We just obliged. India's democracy is failing them because of corruption at the highest level, and because they aren't going to instantly make something work that is alien to their culture. India didn't even exist as a concept til we got there, and it wasn't even mapped... Stop expecting me to feel bad because people who happen to be British didn't behave perfectly over 100 years ago. Every nation has this stuff in their history - Islam can trace it's history of doing it right back to their so called prophet.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad. While your harping on about how great nations are today because of their rule by the British empire, I just felt I should point out that a lot of the world's problem hotspots today were ruled and influenced by British empire. e.g. India-Pakistan, Israel-Palestine, African nations.

Oh and India's ''Democratic system'' so generously set up by Britain was set up so that the subjects had just enough autonomy to be satisfied while the real power remained in British hands. A dictatorship dressed up as a democracy.

This is why in India's special custom-made parliamentary democracy installed by the British, the ruling government sets the agenda on all issues and decides what can be discussed, what can be voted on and what cannot. The opposition has no power to challenge or even discuss agendas.

You talk about how the British gave India democracy, but what isn't mentioned is that Britain gave India a skewed version of it designed to concentrate power in the 'right' hands. Corrupt Indians may use this system to their advantage, but it was the British who installed it and set the example on how to use it to rule under the guise of a 'democracy'.

Oh and it is just sheer arrogance and ignorance to say India did not ''exist'' before the British came. India was known as 'Bharat' and encompassed the whole subcontinent. Just because the British turned up and separated it into different nations including one called 'India' doesn't mean you created a civilization that has existed for over 3000 years ,before the British empire even existed.

I'm not guilt tripping anyone, I'm just challenging arrogance/ignorance. Deal with it.
Reply 72
Original post by zoeaw
His Chinese accent is worse than mine xP

who's?
Yea I probably should have made a disclaimer saying that China is by no means immune from collapse, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. They are already taking steps to reduce growth to a more stable level I think. The only thing China needs is natural resources, which they are acquiring through trade. I don't think that they will go out to seek new lands as In general, the days of colonialism are over. And China actually had the opportunity to collonise or attempt to collonise the world when it was at the height of its power. Theres a book called 1421 which is written by a British naval officer about how China circumnavigated the globe and discovered alot of new land. I haven't read all of it but it states that the sailors were given specific orders to treat the natives well. So I suppose If the Chinese had any imperialistic desire in them, then it would have happened then. But ofc these are different times.

I'm angry because it adds to the negative picture of China that many people in the west have. Theres still a cold war mentality present as mentioned by someone else above.

There were many attrocities commited by European settlers in the mainland, Hong Kong at this time was a small fishing port. Boxer rebellion, opium wars, ransacking of the forbidden city. I also forgot to mention Japan's imperialism which was just as bad, rape of nanking, ect. The Chinese people haven't and shouldn't forget about these attrocities, not to hold them against the respective perpetrators, but to understand that China has done incredibly well to rise from all of this. And Hong Kong was given back peacefully but taken by force, and with an unequal treaty.

I agreed that If China wanted it could massively increase it's army. But the nationalistic sentiments have no other use that I know of. I don't think that China will pursue an agressive military stance, yes they are very capable but as long as they aren't attacked directly I don't think we should fear it. They're only interested in their own economic growth lol.

But Niall Ferguson' has given credit where its due, he mentions about 3 times how 'unprecedented' China's rise is in little more than 60 years or so. What more do you want? Honestly, I'm starting to think that you're just clutching at straws here, this documentary really isn't as bad as you make it out to be, in all our discussion, you've provided just one example of Ferguson's apparent disrespectful behavior and even that wasn't that anywhere near to being insulting/offensive.

Have you ever thought that the reason why China's picture is negative in the west (as you see it), is not because of bias against China, but simply because we in the west cannot comprehend how it can ever be justified to have a set of unelected people dictate what the rest of population does. I mean, don't you personally think that this is inherently unfair and that democracy, freedom of expression and free press is the way to go instead of the current system of China (which quite frankly is outdated)?

Personally I don't even think China is viewed that badly here in the west, honestly I just think its to do with different political systems, the lack of freedom in China just annoys people here a bit. Look at Japan, a non-western country, it gets viewed in more of less the same way here as other western countries.

oh and, you haven't answered my last question about whether you think those 1000s of people waking up at 5am just to see the flag being raised is creepy :smile:
Original post by smileatyourself
This is The Peak, the most expensive place in Hong Kong:

http://tourism-hongkong.com/images/peak1.jpg

Did you know when the British nicked it from China, they reserved the area for themselves. No Chinese were allowed to live on The Peak?

Sounds racist to me.

By the standards of colonialism if that's the best example you can come up with then you're pathetic. You have to put these things into the context of the time. British settlers, who know very little about the Chinese, are living thousands of miles away from home during a time when racism was accepted. It's a product of the times, they didn't know any better. To give you another example if I went back in time I wouldn't refuse to speak to George Washington purely because he owned slaves. Why? Because very few people in America at that time believed slavery was wrong so how was he to know any different?

Now compare the social structure of early colonial Hong Kong to Mao's mass famines, random killings and unsavoury events that continue in China to this day. Like it or not Hong Kong and Macau were rare spots of peace in the chaos of early-mid 20th century China.
What you on about Ghengis Khan didn't like them? He and the mongolians tried to take over China! But they realised in the end that all they had was military might and China had far more advanced science and education.

And I'm not gonna bother debating on which country is the worst this or that

ROFL!

He and the Mongolians? He WAS Mongolian and he led them to conquer a lot of China in a short time, taking everything they had and leaving nothing.

China was so massive that they merely brushed him off over time and eventually as usual, things come to an end.

Superior technology? Chinese armies were mullered time and time again by the Mongolians superior bows and horse skill. They took the catapult technology and made it better.

Also, China has stolen every piece of technological advancement in existence and claims it as theirs.

Look at their automotive industry, clothes industry and military. Copy/paste.

:lol:
Reply 76
What role do you think Israel will play? And Britain, in it's heyday was riddled with poverty but it still owned a 5th of the world. So superpower status probably can be attained by China.

Israel is not going to be a superpower, however it is currently the most powerful military force in the Middle East region, a position it has enjoyed every since the end of the Pahlavi dynasty in Iran. Regards the Middle East, soon the mullahs in Iran will be removed by the Iranian people and the Iranian economy will grow and grow until we reassert Iran as the most powerful country in the Middle East and Central Asia. In the long run, Egypt with it's projected population to exceed one hundred million will also eclipse Israel. At the moment Israel is powerful, but it is the size of Wales and has a population the size of Scotland, it cannot continue to dominate the region in the long term (regardless of how creative they manage to be).

Britain was indeed poor when it owned 1/4 of the planet, but you seem to forget that the rest of the world was even poorer than Britain. In it's imperial heydeys it was both the wealthiest country in the world in terms of national power and individual wealth, this was until it was eclipsed by Germany and the USA.

First paragraph, fair enough.

Yes the Chinese by nature are hardworking, I actually wish I had a propper Chinese work ethic for revision! But China has a culture of inovation and science. The list of Chinese inventions goes on forever. A pretty big one actually is MATHS. Well the number 0 which opens up a whole new level of Maths apparently! Not forgetting the Arab development of it too.

And I do agree that China is decadent. They have a taste for some of the most tasteless western consumer products. In some ways they actually take it too far. And China doesn't try any justify anything, they don't need to. And we always must at least try to learn from history. Well I really hope China won't have to prove itself to anyone, and who is the other btw, Is it Britain? America? Israel???

Actually an awful lot of that was Persian, the Arabs just enjoy taking credit for it all.
Reply 77
Original post by smileatyourself
Just because things happened in a different generation doesn't mean it didn't happen or should be omitted from history.

The point I'm making is that Ferguson rants about China skewing its history. True but he made no attempt to talk about the British (and US) involvement, with regard to the Opium Wars, Nanking Treaty, etc., so effectively he's a hypocrite.

I believe he has covered these issues before though. He does afterall own a company called Chimerica. The whole point of this show was to highlight how the Chinese propaganada machine works, and how despite outward appearances the Chinese single party system will never relinquish control in even the smallest of ways or be transparent in any way. I don't feel he passes negative judgement on this model though, in fact he seemed quite impressed to me.
Original post by Elipsis
It is hardly difficult for 2 economies with around 20x more people to be larger than ours. The embaressing thing is that it took them so long. If we were in charge the per capita income would be higher than it is now, like in HK and Singapore. I am starting to notice you always act like a cry baby pussy whenever India comes into a debate... You can't keep your emotions out of it, and the tears must be blurring your vision and your mind.

Eight countries collectively invaded China ..... and it survived.

What would happen to Britain if the same happened?

A quote from "A Fish Called Wanda", If it hadn't been for the American's intervention, Britain would be speaking German!
Reply 79
Original post by Elipsis
I believe he has covered these issues before though. He does afterall own a company called Chimerica. The whole point of this show was to highlight how the Chinese propaganada machine works, and how despite outward appearances the Chinese single party system will never relinquish control in even the smallest of ways or be transparent in any way. I don't feel he passes negative judgement on this model though, in fact he seemed quite impressed to me.

Actually what the West needs to learn is how to copy Chinese political efficiency in a democratic manner. China actually manages to get a lot done, compared to America, which seems to be in permanent political gridlock and to be quite honest, the American people often elect the most moronic idiots into power anyway. Liberal Democracy has it's failings, as does the Chinese system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending