The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prog2djent
OP is obviously a troll or has been severely brainwashed by A level geography text books COUPLED with a lack of intelligence and completely learned knowledge.

As an a level geographer myself I wouldn't say it promotes that entirely, but there is indeed some bull**** like that incorporated into some parts of the course. A level citizenship is much worse.
Original post by Yawn!
Thank you for making my joke....not funny anymore. Appreciate it, bro.

Sorry, was that scarcisam? There's an actual part of the day where my brain doesn't register it, it's rather funny actually :biggrin:

Also, why do people on TSR always automactically asume i'm a boy? Unless of course you reffer to everyone as 'dude' or 'bro' :s-smilie:
Reply 42
I work for a large employer and there's an "equality and diversity officer" or something. At least one person, or maybe a small team, who are employed specifically to engineer particular mixtures of people according to the five main protected characteristics (gender, race, religion, disability, sexuality).

IMO every business with more than, say, ten employees should have to hire someone to oversee the diversity of their workforce.
Reply 43
THE differente beween THE uk and america is, though, that THE uk tends to attract benefit seeking paupers, whereas the us tends to attract more highly skilled immigrants (apart from iklegal immigrants)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by NB_ide
I work for a large employer and there's an "equality and diversity officer" or something. At least one person, or maybe a small team, who are employed specifically to engineer particular mixtures of people according to the five main protected characteristics (gender, race, religion, disability, sexuality).

IMO every business with more than, say, ten employees should have to hire someone to oversee the diversity of their workforce.

I'll get back to your other silly response in a bit, but employee's should be basing their recruitment decisions on merit, qualifications and expirience, or if they just really like the person and want to give them a chance, or will go for the cheapes labour low level jobs etc etc

If you were planning to make a workforce of 5, to go specifically out of the way to make sure you hire 1 Gay male, an arabic muslim, a Black African Christian, a white English secularist and a disabled chinese, atheist humanist is mental.

Firslty beacuse that amount of 'diversity' would cause so much conflict because of those people's own prejudices and bigoted attitudes, and secondly its discrimination against everybody apart from one particular type of person the employee is looking for.

The reason absolute diversity, or moral relativism, doesn't work is because everyone has conflicting beliefs and the intolerant are intolerant of a group doing nothing wrong, and the tolerant have to tolerate the intolerant because being intolerant of the intolerant is somehow, according to progrsssives, racist.

Positive discrimination is the worst kind, putting legitimacy on the issue makes negative discrimination become grow.
Reply 45
Original post by NB_ide
A racist? On TSR?!?!

No way!!!

1. Do you know what racism means?

2. Look it up on google define, it will give you about 20 matches on the first page, all are the same essentially.

3. What have I saide that's racist, some people can push the boundary of what is not technically racist by saying stuff like "policy should patrol black neighbourhoods more because statistics show black britons disproportionatley comminit more crime than white brits" which is pushing it, but it isn't racist as you aren't saying "black people are violent and aggressive because they are basically apes, we shold lock them up", that is racism has you are discriminating against black people because they are black.

Now, what have I said?
Original post by Tommyjw
Umm, i never said it was?

Someone essentially states more diversity = more crime. The fact is that is not true.

but it is true.

blacks make up 14% of london population but commit over 50% of street crime in london.

so, london would experience 50% less crime if not for diversity.

blacks make up 14% of prison population but just 2% of population overall.

of course, the white crime rate has gone up dramatically too since the mid 50s since the consequences for committing crime were radically reduced.

but, diversity from certain groups makes crime even worse.
Reply 47
Original post by prog2djent

Firslty beacuse that amount of 'diversity' would cause so much conflict because of those people's own prejudices and bigoted attitudes, and secondly its discrimination against everybody apart from one particular type of person the employee is looking for.

Actually diversity in work groups has been shown to have a very positive effect on that groups performance.
Original post by Tommyjw
Actually diversity in work groups has been shown to have a very positive effect on that groups performance.

so what you are saying is that less white people means better performance?
Reply 49
Original post by roadlesstravelled

of course, the white crime rate has gone up dramatically too since the mid 50s since the consequences for committing crime were radically reduced.

but, diversity from certain groups makes crime even worse.

Love how you literally completely ignore the fact that crime rates are, and have been for like 30 years, falling despite rising levels of diversity and general population levels. :rolleyes:
Reply 50
so what you are saying is that less white people means better performance?

:facepalm:

Just... :facepalm:
Totally irrelevant what skin colour someone is. Cheering for and celebrating an increase/decrease in any demographic is equally pointless. You might as well cheer for an increase in Green-eyed people, NOW GREEN-EYED PEOPLE ARE MORE REPRESENTED WOOO.
Original post by Tommyjw
Love how you literally completely ignore the fact that crime rates are, and have been for like 30 years, falling despite rising levels of diversity and general population levels. :rolleyes:

starting in the mid 50s, crime rates went up dramatically. since early 90s, they have declined slightly. they are still far, far higher before the floodgates were forced open.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/rp99/rp99-111.pdf

they have fallen in the past 20 years, but they would have fallen far more without 'diversity' . in fact, without diversity they they would not even have risen so astronomically high.
Original post by screenager2004
Totally irrelevant what skin colour someone is. Cheering for and celebrating an increase/decrease in any demographic is equally pointless. You might as well cheer for an increase in Green-eyed people, NOW GREEN-EYED PEOPLE ARE MORE REPRESENTED WOOO.

unless you happen to be the green eyed people who are being replaced by the red eyed people.
Original post by Tommyjw
:facepalm:

Just... :facepalm:

diversity = less white people.

so i assume that your point was less white people = better performance?
Reply 55

they have fallen in the past 20 years, but they would have fallen far more without 'diversity' . in fact, without diversity they they would not even have risen so astronomically high.

Wont say anything about the source actually stating the numbers are skewed because of the difference in reporting levels :rolleyes:

Funny how im going to ask anyway but already know the answer.

Have any proof whatsoever to back up this completely unsubstantiated guess?
Original post by screenager2004

The blue-grey-eyed master race will soon exterminate all green-eyed impurities from this world.

Sieg heil etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Wont say anything about the source actually stating the numbers are skewed because of the difference in reporting levels :rolleyes:

Funny how im going to ask anyway but already know the answer.

Have any proof whatsoever to back up this completely unsubstantiated guess?

skewed source? lol

unsubstantiated? so minority groups are underrepresented in crime stats and prison populations are they?

no, they are massively overrepresented. blacks especially, but asians also.
Reply 58
Original post by Miracle Day
Rihanna - Hot, but her music is repetative and overplayed.
Flo Rida - Omg 'Good Feeling' gets on my nerves! Wish Capital Fm would stop playing it!
Chris Brown - Wife beater.

Are you judging Chris Browns music based on what he did in his personal life?
starting in the mid 50s, crime rates went up dramatically. since early 90s, they have declined slightly. they are still far, far higher before the floodgates were forced open.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/rp99/rp99-111.pdf

Correlating crime rates with just one social factor such as immigration (which was pretty minimal until the 2000s anyway) is ludicrous. What evidence do you have that this increase is liable to have occurred because of immigrants rather than, say, recurrent economic crises precipitated by the collapse of the imperial economy in the post-war period?

Latest

Trending

Trending