The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rsp
just got an offer , it says AAA including biology and chemistry. I am only on a B now in chemistry, so i would need to resit chemistry from january, I know they don't let u resit these exams , so am i right in thinking there is no point in firming.

Original post by rsp
Hi does anyone know if their is an applicant offer day?

Unfortunately nottingham doesnt allow A2 module resits even within the 2 years - could you get an A by resitting an AS module? As they allow 1 AS module resit per subject.
I rang to ask about the post-offer visit day, they dont have any for people who've already applied / got offers :frown: But like any other uni we can go visit the uni campus etc anytime, on amy other day. Congrats on your st georges offer :smile:
Reply 1041
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Unfortunately nottingham doesnt allow A2 module resits even within the 2 years - could you get an A by resitting an AS module? As they allow 1 AS module resit per subject.
I rang to ask about the post-offer visit day, they dont have any for people who've already applied / got offers :frown: But like any other uni we can go visit the uni campus etc anytime, on amy other day. Congrats on your st georges offer :smile:

Okay thanks , would i am planning on resisting ch 2 as well , might be able to get the a whilst not resisting jan. but don't want to risk not getting an a just for Nottingham . If this makes sense do u think it will be possible to still resit jan , but if i get anA mark using my old Ums , I would still get an offer , something like not cashing in the module if all else goes well. I want to resit it really as some sort of reassurance.
What would u do , bother with Nottingham or go for st George's ?
Thanks for all your info :smile:
Reply 1042
Do you guys reckon I should call? :K:
Reply 1043
Original post by br2pi5

Good things come to those who wait....I wish they´d hurry up though!!!
Reply 1044
Don't worry guys, it won't be long now. They're supposed to give most/all of their offers out by April so it's likely you will hear this week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rsp
Okay thanks , would i am planning on resisting ch 2 as well , might be able to get the a whilst not resisting jan. but don't want to risk not getting an a just for Nottingham . If this makes sense do u think it will be possible to still resit jan , but if i get anA mark using my old Ums , I would still get an offer , something like not cashing in the module if all else goes well. I want to resit it really as some sort of reassurance.
What would u do , bother with Nottingham or go for st George's ?
Thanks for all your info :smile:

I see what you mean, i think safest would be to check with your school on how it works if you did resit the Jan module but would have got an A overall by the end of summer without having resat it ..... i think it'd also be worth emailing / ringing nottingham and asking about that (0115 8230000 / 8230092) - in theory i don't think they should be able to turn you down if you'd have got the A without resitting the Jan module anyway - but best to check as they do say that they don't allow A2 module resits. If its chem unit 2 it will be fine as its an AS module and you're allowed 1 AS module resit per subject, but if its an A2 jan module they dont allow it :frown:

What you could do, is put Nottingham down as Firm and St. Georges as insurance - this way if they don't allow the A2 resit (even if you do get the A without needing the extra resit) you still fulfill the conditions of your St Georges offer.

No worries, im glad it helped! :smile::smile:
Original post by br2pi5

When I called them they said they're still making their final decisions and everyone will know by march 31st. There is still time and hopefully your name will be on the offer list :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1047
Original post by giraffegiraffe
I see what you mean, i think safest would be to check with your school on how it works if you did resit the Jan module but would have got an A overall by the end of summer without having resat it ..... i think it'd also be worth emailing / ringing nottingham and asking about that (0115 8230000 / 8230092) - in theory i don't think they should be able to turn you down if you'd have got the A without resitting the Jan module anyway - but best to check as they do say that they don't allow A2 module resits. If its chem unit 2 it will be fine as its an AS module and you're allowed 1 AS module resit per subject, but if its an A2 jan module they dont allow it :frown:

What you could do, is put Nottingham down as Firm and St. Georges as insurance - this way if they don't allow the A2 resit (even if you do get the A without needing the extra resit) you still fulfill the conditions of your St Georges offer.

No worries, im glad it helped! :smile::smile:

Thanks think I have decided to firm st George's,because if I firmed Nottingham it would be a very slim chance of getting it. And I would more than likely have to go with st georges as my insurance then I would be left with no accommodation In London and no London waiting for finance for the start of the course and I would hate it. St George's is the easier less stressful option , and with everything goin on at the moments think its more than sensible to firm st George's :smile:
Reply 1048
Original post by Watermelon:)
When I called them they said they're still making their final decisions and everyone will know by march 31st. There is still time and hopefully your name will be on the offer list :smile:

Thank you! :colondollar: 4 more days of waiting... I just hope I can break into this dance when I receive my UCAS track notification :banana2:
Reply 1049
just firmed nottingham!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1050
Well there goes another year... I'm so depressed :erm: :ashamed2:
But I'm so motivated to study medicine that I think I'm going to take yet another gap year and fill it with work experience. I'm going to ACE my UKCAT and I'm going to ACE my APs next month (american A-levels) and get AAA, so that next year when I get an offer, it will say 'Unconditional offer.' I'm going to make my parents proud and myself proud.

Seems like forever until Oct 15, 2012 but I'm seriously going to do this. I'm going to become a doctor and make a reality out of my biggest dream!

Alright I'm done with the inspirational speech... just congratulations to everyone that received an offer. You made it! :clap2::danceboy:
Original post by br2pi5
Well there goes another year... I'm so depressed :erm: :ashamed2:
But I'm so motivated to study medicine that I think I'm going to take yet another gap year and fill it with work experience. I'm going to ACE my UKCAT and I'm going to ACE my APs next month (american A-levels) and get AAA, so that next year when I get an offer, it will say 'Unconditional offer.' I'm going to make my parents proud and myself proud.

Seems like forever until Oct 15, 2012 but I'm seriously going to do this. I'm going to become a doctor and make a reality out of my biggest dream!

Alright I'm done with the inspirational speech... just congratulations to everyone that received an offer. You made it! :clap2::danceboy:

I'm really sorry to hear about your rejection, you've definitely got the right mindset about a gap year and I'm sure with your passion and motivation you'll have lot's of success! Good luck with everything!! :smile:
Reply 1052
Original post by AnnaRoberta
Hi
I'm in the process of firming/choosing my accomodation for Nottingham & was just wondering if there were any you would recommend? (or if there was a website that showed the individual halls in detail?)

I'm in the same boat as you - does anyone have recommendations? I've been looking at University organised accommodations as well as Manor Villages... I'd imagine I'm quite a bit older than most of you though (28 in May!), so I'm hoping to find accommodation that might have more older/postgraduate students.
Did anyone else get an email saying they've been put on the waiting list?

You are a strong candidate, however the quality of the field of candidates in 2012/13 has been exceptional and we have had very strong take-up of the offers we have made for 2012 entry, as such we have not been able to offer a place to all of the candidates that we would have liked to.

We have however placed you on a short waiting list should we be in the position to make you an offer by the start of May 2012. There is no guarantee that you will be offered a place for 2012 entry, as it does depend on the decisions made by the applicants currently holding offers with us.

Do many other medical schools have a waiting list, instead of outright rejecting candidates? I think I will withdraw my application and be taken off the list as I have offers elsewhere... :/ I didn't think I did badly at my interview at Nottingham though...but meh.
Reply 1054
How do you guys find out about the waiting list??

ARE YOU SAYING THERE MIGHT BE SOME HOPE?!? O___O

:woo:
Reply 1055
Any help on accommodation would be great! :smile:
Original post by laurazzles
Did anyone else get an email saying they've been put on the waiting list?
Do many other medical schools have a waiting list, instead of outright rejecting candidates? I think I will withdraw my application and be taken off the list as I have offers elsewhere... :/ I didn't think I did badly at my interview at Nottingham though...but meh.

I think most med schools have waiting lists as not everyone will accept the offer, and congrats on your other offers :smile:

Original post by br2pi5
How do you guys find out about the waiting list??
ARE YOU SAYING THERE MIGHT BE SOME HOPE?!? O___O
:woo:

If you make the waiting list they'll e-mail you about it :smile: And yes there's still hope! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 1057
I feel a rejection coming my way :frown: who else hasn´t heard anything yet?
Reply 1058
Original post by Fuero
I feel a rejection coming my way :frown: who else hasn´t heard anything yet?

I haven't heard from them since my interview in February. Its such a nerve wrecking wait...especially since its the only uni that hasn't rejected me as yet.
Reply 1059
Original post by Karshi
I haven't heard from them since my interview in February. Its such a nerve wrecking wait...especially since its the only uni that hasn't rejected me as yet.

Yeah same here...I hope we´ll hear tomorrow and they won´t drag it out till April

Quick Reply

Latest