The Student Room Group

Do people ever do better in A2 than at AS?

Hi. Just wondering, if, for example, I got ABBC at AS, what would I be likely to get at A2 after dropping one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AGrumpyMole
Hi. Just wondering, if, for example, I got ABBC at AS, what would I be likely to get at A2 after dropping one?

Some people do do better, statistically it is more common for people studying arts and humanities subjects rather than Sciences.
Probably quite a few people do after getting into the swing of A levels and not having to do retakes.
Reply 3
It all depends on how hard you work.

My only example so far would be maths. I did slightly better in A2. 248/300 at AS, and 254/300 at A2.
I've heard of people getting Cs/Bs at AS and coming out with an A* because of high marks in A2, so yes, its possible.
Reply 5

I did As in 2008 and A2 in 2009

so in AS i got ABBCD and no grade for further maths ( hadn't done the modules for that at that point)
and for A2 i got AAAA ( I kept the subject that I got a C in and kept the subject that I got a B in ... I dropped one B ... and D was critical thinking ... so wasn't going to take that)

So yes its possible. If I were you I would drop a subject because they only ask for 3.
Concentrate on your A's and B's focus study ... oh and if your doing any of the sciences past papers :biggrin:
Reply 6
It varies massively depending on how much **** you give first year compared to second year. And is very dependant on what subjects and exam boards you're doing. For sciences, you tend to do worse as second year tends to be more difficult (By far), and for humanities, you tend to improve second year as the content kind of builds-up.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's possible, but it would make your life easier to give 100% every exam season, as retakes can build up, and if you mess it up again, it can dent your confidence.
Original post by tamimi
It varies massively depending on how much sh!t you give first year compared to second year. And is very dependant on what subjects and exam boards you're doing. For sciences, you tend to do worse as second year tends to be more difficult (By far), and for humanities, you tend to improve second year as the content kind of builds-up.

Watch out... TSR will send you a message asking you not to try and part-* the 'naughty word' :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Watch out... TSR will send you a message asking you not to try and part-* the 'naughty word' :tongue:

Alexandra's Box, I swear you're like my TSR guardian angel.
Original post by Appeal to reason
I've heard of people getting Cs/Bs at AS and coming out with an A* because of high marks in A2, so yes, its possible.

Yup, this happened to me.

Did poorly at AS (C's and B's), did a tranche of retaks but most of them didn't go that well. In one History retake and a Politics I got a C (as I had got the last time), only in my English retake did I get an A.

Then at A2 I destroyed the exams and ended up with two A*s and an A.
It's perfectly possible! The work does get harder, but I think you're more attuned to the way the examiner's think, and better at answering the questions which definitely helps with your marks. If you did particularly badly in any modules, it may be worth resitting them to push up your overall grade? But as long as you work hard, and effectively then it's perfectly possible :smile: good luck!
I'm sure most of my sixth form completely mess up their AS-levels, then do much better for their A2s.
A lot of people do go up. I think sometimes low AS grades can give people the shock they need to work harder, plus the fact that they know that this is their last chance to get the grades that will eventually determine their university place.
[INSERT]; My friend ______ achieved a ____ at AS. But then he/she started working hard at A2 and achieved a _____. It's possible
Reply 15
After getting into the swing of it I did better in A2 in maths and chemistry, and in physics my year average was about the same, although I was more consistent in my exams (getting the same mark on both my A2 exams).
Reply 16

Statistically speaking it is very uncommon for people to achieve a higher grade at A2 than at AS, which is why most universities won't take your predicted A2 grades seriously if they're higher than what you achieved at AS (got told this by a UCAS representative who worded it in a slightly softer fashion)

However it certainly is possible, although you need sufficient determination to climb a mountain to achieve that. And considering the individuals in question did not do well at AS then it is highly unlikely they possess that motivation :O

I got AAAB at AS and A*A*A at A2 (The B at AS was in chemistry, which i got an A* in at A2). Make of that what you will.
It all depends on how hard you work.
I hope so! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest