The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To the people who replied to me - ty :smile:

I am writing a letter today which will be passed up by my shift manager to his boss. It appears to be a trade - if I want something, I have to offer something.
I didn't mention working in the summer - so it became their request, not mine! Haha! Negotiation manipulation is a go.

I'll probably get back to mcd's in the summer. However, if they refuse to allow me to go on a break, I'll resign. One week's notice = no shifts can be scheduled after next wednesday. So that would be okay.. unless they were dicks and went "okay, you're working mon, tues, weds! ha!"

Original post by covvers
i'm handing in my notice tonight - but my store manager's hardly ever in!! Would it be okay to just give my resignation letter to a shift manager? I've never quit a job before, I don't know what to do :tongue:

I think I'm too late to answer you - but if you haven't done it yet..

Remember that according to the employee handbook (2.11), the required notice is one week!
My shift manager told me it was one month.

Yes, I think you should give it to your shift manager, s/he'll know what to do with it.
Quick question: Has anybody ever had this before? Just had a message on McTime saying that over Easter schedule manager is going to treat every day like a Saturday so we will be scheduled outside of availabilty because we're off college. So has anybody ever had this happen? (She says she'll be giving plenty of shifts which is great cos we're on GAP bonus but...)

Because, the issue is, I'm unavailable on Monday's, so when it came to going away (Mon to Thur) I only have Tue to Thur off because I shouldn't be given a Monday shift (this is next week), the schedule isn't up yet so I may try a McTime message just to let her know.
Reply 6042
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Quick question: Has anybody ever had this before? Just had a message on McTime saying that over Easter schedule manager is going to treat every day like a Saturday so we will be scheduled outside of availabilty because we're off college. So has anybody ever had this happen? (She says she'll be giving plenty of shifts which is great cos we're on GAP bonus but...)

Because, the issue is, I'm unavailable on Monday's, so when it came to going away (Mon to Thur) I only have Tue to Thur off because I shouldn't be given a Monday shift (this is next week), the schedule isn't up yet so I may try a McTime message just to let her know.

Generally happens in most stores - school holidays are generally the busiest periods, so people who are part time due to school/college/uni will be given full time hours over the holiday. If there are any days you can't work despite being off college, then just make sure the scheduling manager knows so they can schedule you within your availability.
Original post by Ronda
Generally happens in most stores - school holidays are generally the busiest periods, so people who are part time due to school/college/uni will be given full time hours over the holiday. If there are any days you can't work despite being off college, then just make sure the scheduling manager knows so they can schedule you within your availability.

Fair enough, it's just that she's very hard to get hold of! Ah well, I shall give it a go!
Reply 6044
Fair enough, it's just that she's very hard to get hold of! Ah well, I shall give it a go!

She's not following your availability so it's up to the management to sort it if you can't work (providing you let them know when more than a few days before. It would of made sense to ask everyone a couple of weeks before the Easter holidays to message her if they could work extra.
Original post by tm00131
She's not following your availability so it's up to the management to sort it if you can't work (providing you let them know when more than a few days before. It would of made sense to ask everyone a couple of weeks before the Easter holidays to message her if they could work extra.

Only got the message today, it's about this coming Monday so this is as far in advance as I can get it. Just got no answer ringing store so going to try again later :/ *sigh*
Reply 6046
Only got the message today, it's about this coming Monday so this is as far in advance as I can get it. Just got no answer ringing store so going to try again later :/ *sigh*

That's totally reasonable then, keep ringing and let them know. Try to avoid Gapbuster periods and if your store shuts not too late, phoning 10 mins after it shuts is good as the manager will most likely be in the office. :smile:

I'm back home over Easter and the first week is a mixture of opens, closes and dayshifts, some front, some back. Should be good. :smile:
Out of paranoia that people from my McD could read this and realise that I'm talking about them, I have deleted most of this post. I don't expect anyone to, but if anyone does want the full story, message me.

Shift Manager is being completely ridiculous, but he has a nice boss, so I finish the other 2 shifts this week, then I go on a break until after the exams.

Sorted.

Everyone else working there needs the job and needs the money. I don't think SM is used to someone working there who works hard and well... but is not afraid losing the job, and who will call him out on his misinformation (I've dealt with the same * with shrinks who play that game!). That pulls the rug out from under his feet.
(edited 12 years ago)
^
Glad it's sorted for you :smile:
Reply 6049
Original post by lightburns
Out of paranoia that people from my McD could read this and realise that I'm talking about them, I have deleted most of this post. I don't expect anyone to, but if anyone does want the full story, message me.

Shift Manager is being completely ridiculous, but he has a nice boss, so I finish the other 2 shifts this week, then I go on a break until after the exams.

Sorted.

Everyone else working there needs the job and needs the money. I don't think SM is used to someone working there who works hard and well... but is not afraid losing the job, and who will call him out on his misinformation (I've dealt with the same * with shrinks who play that game!). That pulls the rug out from under his feet.

please PM me what happened! I'm nosey :3
Original post by Jessca
please PM me what happened! I'm nosey :3

Sent :P
______
I have 2 more days of work, then this whole fiasco is over for a little while. 2 more days. Just need to deal with two days.

On the plus side, some random woman told me very emphatically about how I have served her before, and I'm a very polite young man etc.

troll-i-lied-light.png

I actually hate people. That's kind of a big reason why I'm working at McDonalds - when I get asked in future interviews that predictable question of "what is your biggest weakness", I can reply "I don't like dealing with people, but I am perfectly capable of doing so, and have spent over 6 months training this ability by working directly with customers in a high-pressure environment" or something.

To my surprise, it's actually not too difficult to make customers like you. It's all about carefully placing your intonation, and that kind of thing.
I've worked at McD for 7 weeks, then now I took 1 month off because I'm going abroad. Then, after this period (mid-April), i'll get back but will have 3 weeks of exams (8 in total until first week of May).
I guess I can't ask for 2 more weeks of holidays after taking previously 4 weeks, so what do you think i should do?
Ask to work one shift a week?
Original post by destination unknown
I've worked at McD for 7 weeks, then now I took 1 month off because I'm going abroad. Then, after this period (mid-April), i'll get back but will have 3 weeks of exams (8 in total until first week of May).
I guess I can't ask for 2 more weeks of holidays after taking previously 4 weeks, so what do you think i should do?
Ask to work one shift a week?

Questions:
How much do you need your job?
How much do you need the time around the exams?
How good is your shift manager etc.?

I do not need the job, I desperately need time around the exams, and my shift manager is a * who says he'll lower the number of shifts, and does not. So for me, asking for a 2 month break was preferable.

If you need the job, you can't use quitting as a back-up as I did (which is a good bargaining chip if you can). If you don't need the time, ask for one day a week, as long as you think they'll stick to that.
Or you can try asking for a few weeks - the worst they can tell you is "no".
Reply 6053
Had my interview today. Apparently 71% on the online application test is the best the manager has seen which is slightly worrying :p:

I stupidly thought the Mcflurry machine would have an auto fill cut off thing like the drink machines. No idea why I thought that seeing as it isn't automated and ended up making a bit of a mess ¬_¬ and I know I'll make a mess with the toppings as well! But other than that it went well and everyone seems nice enough!
Original post by .Hannah
Had my interview today. Apparently 71% on the online application test is the best the manager has seen which is slightly worrying :p:

I stupidly thought the Mcflurry machine would have an auto fill cut off thing like the drink machines. No idea why I thought that seeing as it isn't automated and ended up making a bit of a mess ¬_¬ and I know I'll make a mess with the toppings as well! But other than that it went well and everyone seems nice enough!

Glad it went well for you :P

Wow they were making you do a lot for an interview ha, mine was just say hi to people and hand them their food.... :P

Mistakes happen to everyone though and its not your fault if no one told you :smile:

Good luck, hope you get it! :smile:
Hi!

What does the customer care assistant do at McDonalds? I've seen it advertised and just wondering what the role involves before applying.
So, I got my Monday off...however, I have been given shifts during my time off :/ *sigh* didn't see it before I went in today unfortunately, still it's nicer manager tomorrow when I'm in so I'll talk to him and see what to do, I still have the confirmation I was given it off so hopefully there won't be a problem rescheduling it, but I really do want shifts the two days I can work next week, whether I'll get them is another matter!!

Also, I officially hate DA. I got stuck on it today for 6 hours without a clue what I was meant to be doing :/ It is actually so lonely, cos no one really talked to me except the manager and that was always just to tell me off for doing something wrong! If I am DA tomorrow I think I will die. Cannot stand it!

(Yes, I know all I seem to use this thread for is a moan...I feel quite guilty about that actually, I keep moaning and never adding anything constructive)
Reply 6057
Last shift at my uni store tonight, going to be so weird working at home!

Original post by TSRMember
Hi!

What does the customer care assistant do at McDonalds? I've seen it advertised and just wondering what the role involves before applying.

They are the people who work on the dining area and wear a different uniform to the people behind the till and in the kitchen. They are responsible for looking after the dining area, as in cleaning tables, keeping the floor tidy, emptying bins, checking and cleaning if needed the toilets - all them things. There may be extra things as well such as in drive thru they often take out orders to parked cars and they might do litter patrols. There is also the hospitality side of the job, talking to customers and assisting them with anything, and just generally ensuring customers enjoy their visit and come back again.

So, I got my Monday off...however, I have been given shifts during my time off :/ *sigh* didn't see it before I went in today unfortunately, still it's nicer manager tomorrow when I'm in so I'll talk to him and see what to do, I still have the confirmation I was given it off so hopefully there won't be a problem rescheduling it, but I really do want shifts the two days I can work next week, whether I'll get them is another matter!!

Also, I officially hate DA. I got stuck on it today for 6 hours without a clue what I was meant to be doing :/ It is actually so lonely, cos no one really talked to me except the manager and that was always just to tell me off for doing something wrong! If I am DA tomorrow I think I will die. Cannot stand it!

(Yes, I know all I seem to use this thread for is a moan...I feel quite guilty about that actually, I keep moaning and never adding anything constructive)

You will get the days off you have booked off, because you have been granted the time off. Your unlikely to get shifts to replace them though as the schedule has already been done, so unless they have extra shifts going or need cover, then you may lose out.

Dining area is something which a lot of people hate, but when you get the hang of it, it can become really easy the majority of the time. Keep on top of bin emptying, table cleaning, trays, sweeping etc and it is so much easier. The difficult thing about DA is the hospitality side, it's too easy to walk around looking bored and wishing you were on till/in the kitchen. But you can meet some lovely customers and sometimes I've found myself having to say "as much as I'd love to keep chatting, I should probably get some work done" after spending ages talking. :P
Reply 6058

If you want shifts the two days you can work, how about trying to get some of the shifts swapped with someone else first? If not, you'll be entitled to the days you'd been granted off, but they may not be able to give you shifts to replace them.

As for DA, try talking to customers! I hate DA too, but I find if I make an effort to talk to customers and see how they're doing, it's not so bad. I've found that old people are always very happy to have a chat, and they really appreciate it too. Also try offering kids balloons and stuff, I love blowing up balloons for some reason and it gives me something to do other than being concerned about cleaning stuff.
Been 10 days since I applied online, still just says - application recieved...I'd love a yes or no answer soon.

Latest

Trending

Trending