The Student Room Group

Is 16 too late..?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nix-j-c
I stand corrected . . . :getmecoat:

Sorry. It's a common misconception that we should stick to grades in order, and that you can't learn properly/fast when you're older, and it's all not true.
The only reason you would learn slower when you are older is if you are an adult in full time employment who just doesn't have as much time/opportunity to practise as a child/teenager.
Reply 61
Original post by jLou711
Is 16 too late to start learning piano?

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

I have learned keyboard and piano for 8 years and have been performing for 7, and i take summer lessons, and i have students older than you attending, sure it takes a bit longer, but its never too late to start.

I agree with some people when they say that sheet music is hard to learn, but you know what they say.. when there is a will there is a way! .. in my recommendation go ahead with it.
When I started gutiar at age of 13 I went straight from zero to grade 5 in less than a year (didn't do any other grade exam before or after that). Absolutely possible to skip grades, and it's never too late :smile: After that I didn't really fancy doing grades on guitar because it didn't feel very useful or productive although I think it'd be good on piano because you actually play pieces you would normally play, unlike on guitar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
well it is true that your brain makes connections more slowly as you age (according to some studies), and that things like languages and instruments are consequently harder to learn.
That being said my grandad taught himself piano and spanish after he retired, and hes cracking at both now =)
No, its never too late. I taught myself to play guitar when I was 17, I've managed to go pretty far on my own, and now im thinking of getting some lessons because I'm feeling some sort of stagnation. But yeah, go for it.
Reply 65
Original post by jLou711

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

It might take you a bit longer than a young child (there's various studies showing how much better young children are at learning musical instruments), but it's definitely still possible.

Skipping grades is also entirely possible - I never did grade 3

It's a long time since I took a piano exam, but the general form (at least with ABRSM, the main exam board) is that you learn three pieces, one each from an 'A' list, a 'B' list and a 'C' list. Each list has 6 pieces.

You also have to learn a number of scales, which get harder as the grades go up, from C major at grade 1, to scales in thirds and sixths at grade 8.

The final element of the exams is a small skills part, where the examiner asks you to sight-read some music, and may play a simple melody then ask you to sing it back.
Original post by anisatalib
Your never too late to do anything. If you believe in it the you can do it, Age is just a number :smile:

with a unit
Original post by tufc
It might take you a bit longer than a young child (there's various studies showing how much better young children are at learning musical instruments), but it's definitely still possible.

Skipping grades is also entirely possible - I never did grade 3

It's a long time since I took a piano exam, but the general form (at least with ABRSM, the main exam board) is that you learn three pieces, one each from an 'A' list, a 'B' list and a 'C' list. Each list has 6 pieces.

You also have to learn a number of scales, which get harder as the grades go up, from C major at grade 1, to scales in thirds and sixths at grade 8.

The final element of the exams is a small skills part, where the examiner asks you to sight-read some music, and may play a simple melody then ask you to sing it back.

I just want to point out that Trinity Guildhall is now considered just as top quality and valid as ABRSM these days, and actually have a lot of teachers moving over to them with their students because certain elements of the way they run things are considered better.

The "small skills" part you mentioned is the Aural test element of the exam.
Reply 68
If youre doing it for uni then its too late. If youre doing it for fun then it's not too late
Reply 69
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I just want to point out that Trinity Guildhall is now considered just as top quality and valid as ABRSM these days, and actually have a lot of teachers moving over to them with their students because certain elements of the way they run things are considered better.

The "small skills" part you mentioned is the Aural test element of the exam.

Yeah, couldn't remember the name of it :P

It's 'oral' though, isn't it? :curious:
Original post by tufc
Yeah, couldn't remember the name of it :P

It's 'oral' though, isn't it? :curious:

Nope, it's Aural. It's about our ability to listen to music and then apply that to our playing/singing.
http://www.abrsm.org/en/exams/gradedmusicexams/latestsyllabuses/
Reply 71
Original post by blacklistmember
with a unit

lol
Original post by jLou711

Hi!:smile:
I started piano when I was 14 (had a short stint when I was 10 though) and after 4 months I did my grade 2 piano exam and passed with merit. Last year december I did grade 4 and hopefully, I'll do grade 5 this year, oh and i'm 16 aswell. Anywho, all you need is dedication and time devoted to it, especially if you are particularly interested in it.
As you can see it's very easy to skip grades and it's very easy to read notes and learn the keys. Just buy a beginner's book or even go on websites (there are loads!).
The exam covers scales, pieces (the songs), sight-reading (worst part for me) and aural (listening).
I would say you should get a keyboard but if you are really interested in taking the piano far and playing mainly classical pieces, I'd suggest a real piano or a digital one( like I have) with fully weighted keys. This is because the keys of a piano and keyboards feel different, the piano keys are much heavier and harder to play on.

Btw like others have said check ebay or gumtree!
I hope I helped (sorry if there's lots of spelling mistakes)
I recently started reteaching myself violin and I am 18 with no violin tutor. I try to put as much effort into it and my work has paid off. :smile: So to answer your question no you are never too late.
NO! It's never too late to start anything. Don't worry, just go and try it. Age is just a number, not a limit. :wink:
Original post by jLou711

Avoid the diy. So many people get stuck in that awful limbo in which, at the age of 20 they can only play chords and think themselves to be great players.
You are not too late though! Get a teacher and see how it goes.Three years of 1h practicing each day and you can start thinking about skipping grades.
Original post by neverlander¾
Avoid the diy. So many people get stuck in that awful limbo in which, at the age of 20 they can only play chords and think themselves to be great players.
You are not too late though! Get a teacher and see how it goes.Three years of 1h practicing each day and you can start thinking about skipping grades.

I skipped Grade 1 and 2 and I went along nicely :biggrin: But I don't think you should skip Grade 7 or 8 if you want to get a place in like a music college...
Original post by Elliwhi
I skipped Grade 1 and 2 and I went along nicely :biggrin: But I don't think you should skip Grade 7 or 8 if you want to get a place in like a music college...

Im sure it worked out fine with you!
Original post by neverlander¾
Im sure it worked out fine with you!

It did actually, thanks :biggrin: Are you starting on Grade 1? If you've never played an instrument before, I can assure you that it's the best thing to do grade 1 so you can learn the scales and get the feel of the piano :biggrin: Good luck learning :biggrin: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
You get out of it what you put in :smile: If you go for it and are committed then you can progress very fast indeed! Learning an instrument is a unique great experience, enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest