The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Can someone please tell me why the majority of people take four when majority of universities only ask for 3?

I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Maths & (hate to be ironic) History.
Original post by zcanf
Can someone please tell me why the majority of people take four when majority of universities only ask for 3?

I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Maths & (hate to be ironic) History.

One reason is that it's quite common to discover part way through the course that actually you absolutely hate a subject you thought you'd love. This happened to my son with History. He was convinced that he would love it at A level 'cause he loves history. Turns out he loves learning *about* history, having to learn specific bits exactly the way the syllabus told him wasn't for him at all. It's also a chance to pick up a subject for 'fun' without being reliant on it for University. He's still ended up doing 4 to A2 'cause History was his 5th (Maths, F Maths, Physics, Music and History AS). Music is his fun sanity subject!

My second son is planning to do Maths and Physics 'cause those are the subjects he needs for the course he's planning on for Uni. Further Maths AS in Yr 13 'cause that's also handy, English because it's his favourite subject and Moving Image Arts because he wants to (eventually) do computer games design and animation and 'cause it's his extra that makes it disposable after AS in case he doesn't have time. If he does then great, he has a fall-back subject.

Also at their school, if you only do 3 then you have to do COPE.

I did (years ago!) Maths, F Maths, Physics, Spanish and the ever present General Studies, and the Spanish was a nice break from the overwhelming constant logic puzzle of my other subjects.
Reply 882
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
One reason is that it's quite common to discover part way through the course that actually you absolutely hate a subject you thought you'd love. This happened to my son with History. He was convinced that he would love it at A level 'cause he loves history. Turns out he loves learning *about* history, having to learn specific bits exactly the way the syllabus told him wasn't for him at all. It's also a chance to pick up a subject for 'fun' without being reliant on it for University. He's still ended up doing 4 to A2 'cause History was his 5th (Maths, F Maths, Physics, Music and History AS). Music is his fun sanity subject!

My second son is planning to do Maths and Physics 'cause those are the subjects he needs for the course he's planning on for Uni. Further Maths AS in Yr 13 'cause that's also handy, English because it's his favourite subject and Moving Image Arts because he wants to (eventually) do computer games design and animation and 'cause it's his extra that makes it disposable after AS in case he doesn't have time. If he does then great, he has a fall-back subject.

Also at their school, if you only do 3 then you have to do COPE.

I did (years ago!) Maths, F Maths, Physics, Spanish and the ever present General Studies, and the Spanish was a nice break from the overwhelming constant logic puzzle of my other subjects.

It's lucky your son has sanity, i appear to lack that aspect in life. :banghead:

I'm undecided on History, mainly because i enjoy learning about historical events which interest me, but i'm not too sure if i will enjoy how the school will teach it to me? I didn't take it as a GCSE.
Biology, Geography, English Lit and Chemistry- good for A-level?
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics.

And AS ICT, which I will have completed by the end of the year. Already done 1 unit (50% of it) and got 100 (%) UMS, so already have a D in it no matter what lool.
Reply 885
Maths, Economics, Physics and either further maths or psychology
Reply 886
I'm taking History, English, Latin and French. I'm very into languages, and I'm hoping to do Classics at university, so those subjects seem appropriate :smile: I love History as well, but I don't really like the sound of the A-level to be honest, as it involves a big 'dissertation-like' project :eek:
Reply 887
Well, at the moment i am unsure, but i like to think about these things. I know I am definitely taking History and RS (I know some do not see this as a great subject) as i enjoy both and I am predicted good grades in them(+ i want to be a lawyer so history's good). Perhaps i will take maths as I'm ok at maths I got an A is my first module at gcse :smile: Perhaps Business Studies at AS? Oh! Im not sure what I'm going to take, its too early! (I'm in year 10)
Overall, I plan on taking English Literature, Pyschology, Sociology and Law. But I'm worried about them all too. They provide a lot of work, like any A-level would..
Reply 889
I'm looking to take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. I keep being told it's going to be a lot of work, but I like a challenge :biggrin:
Reply 890
I'll be doing the IB in the following subjects:

Higher - Spanish, English Literature, History
Standard - German, Mathematical Studies, Biology
Reply 891
Maths, Further maths, physics, economics and photography :smile: everyone keeps going on about a shortage in mathematicians and physicists but seem s like everyone's choosing it :smile::badger::badger::badger:
History, Economics, Sociology, Computing (+ the compulsary General Studies or Critical Thinking)
Original post by ShadowWalker
I want to English, Government and Politics, History and Biology. Is anyone doing an extended project?

Trying to decide on whether to choose English Literature or English Lit and Lang.

Also are you at a disadvantage if you do 3 A Levels but pick up the extended project in A2?

Yeah (in respond to helping with your English Lit and Language problem), basically the sixth form I've chosen to go to and that has accepted me (yey!), does both together. And seperatly too. I applied for English Language but after the interview, I realised I wanted to do English Lit :colondollar: So if you really like both of them, see if the sixth form you want to go to, does them both. English Language is obviously going into more depth about the language itself. I enjoyed doing English Language in year 10 but now that I'm in year 11, I'm being told I may have to re-sit the exam even though I got a C on it because they want me to try aiming for a B, even though it's the coursework that's the big thing and that I'm most concerned will help me get a B overall and at the start of year 11 I found English Lit boring, now I find it interesting! :biggrin: So yeah anyhow going back to your question, if you really like both subjects, find out if you can do both together, if not, go for the one that you like slightly better and preferably got a better grade in for your GCSEs. I'm a bit confused as to whether I want to do Pyschology or History, since I did well in the first History exam and got an A so I'm just kinda gonna figure it out on the day of my results. Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 894
Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology :smile:
English Literature, English Language, History and either Psychology or Maths.
Original post by lsaul95
Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology :smile:

good luck :wink: i do 3 of those at the moment in AS
Original post by binkpig
Maths, Further maths, physics, economics and photography :smile: everyone keeps going on about a shortage in mathematicians and physicists but seem s like everyone's choosing it :smile::badger::badger::badger:

because many want to become engineers :smile: which requires maths and physics
:smile: I'm choosing History, Politics, English Literature and Geography (not sure what I'll drop at A2 yet)
Hoping to do either History or History and Politics at University
Reply 899
Original post by cuckoo99
good luck :wink: i do 3 of those at the moment in AS

thanks haha! I hope I don't need it! ;D Which three if you don't mind me asking, and how are you finding them? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest