The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sumsum123
Hey, thankkk you ever so much for instilling some hope :wink:. Well done man!!!!! Ah yes, I have a question. In your personal statement, did you dedicate a paragraph explaining what you are going to be doing in your gap year? I looked at my personal statement today and Lord have mercy aha! It is really awkward :ahee: , amazing what hindsight does. Thank you =)

Hi, I completely missed this, sorry if you thought I ignored you its just I've been receiving lots of PM's and such. I'll reply with proper answer tomorrow as I'm on my phone. Promise.p
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Good idea, I would say after applying and getting rejected post interview at Nottingham that seriously you get your offer on how you preform in those vital 15 minutes of interview. Like forget about everything else and sell yourself - something I totally did not do. I was too fixated with the actual question to remember that what is more important is to show them me, the person behind the personal statement. I learned alot from my major flop :tongue: and hopefully will do better.

On a side note, planning my gap year really feels like going back to square one. Not that it is a bad thing, atleast I got better experience now =). How is everyone's planning coming along?

Yea, I know what you mean. I completely messed up my Manc. interview, and they were my first choice too! I think it was mostly 'cause of my nerves getting the better of me. My mind went blank and I just started spouting rubbish. I cringe every time I think back on my answers.

I'm feeling fairly optimistic about my gap year, intend to do everything I can to make sure it's an amazing experience. As of now though, I've just managed to arrange some work experience. Currently trying to focus on A-Levels (which is hard work, since I'm so lazy :redface:)

What are you thinking of doing during your gap year?
Reply 82
Original post by Medican
High I completely missed this, sorry if you thought I ignored you its just I've been receiving lots of PM's and such. I'll reply with proper answer tomorrow as I'm on my phone. Promise.

Hey, thats fine =] I guessed that you were busy. Thank you
Reply 83
Original post by Dr.Acula
Yea, I know what you mean. I completely messed up my Manc. interview, and they were my first choice too! I think it was mostly 'cause of my nerves getting the better of me. My mind went blank and I just started spouting rubbish. I cringe every time I think back on my answers.

I'm feeling fairly optimistic about my gap year, intend to do everything I can to make sure it's an amazing experience. As of now though, I've just managed to arrange some work experience. Currently trying to focus on A-Levels (which is hard work, since I'm so lazy :redface:)

Tell me about it! I don't even think I made any sense -.-. Oh we you learn from your mistakes :smile:. Ah likewise =D. I really hope it is going to be a beneficial year. So far I have sorted out work experience at a clinic, volunteering once a week at a hospital and other stuff that people have to get back to me about. And just keep on working with this charity I have been with for two years. I can't wait to pick up hobbies that I just stopped doing :frown:. I need a job big time so going to go round places to hand out my CV,s after exams. Right now it is all about getting the grade :cute:. Good luck for your next application!
Reply 84
Hey, thankkk you ever so much for instilling some hope :wink:. Well done man!!!!! Ah yes, I have a question. In your personal statement, did you dedicate a paragraph explaining what you are going to be doing in your gap year? I looked at my personal statement today and Lord have mercy aha! It is really awkward :ahee: , amazing what hindsight does. Thank you =)

Hey, I literally put in one sentence to suggest that I was going on a gap year but only because my gap year was very last minute so I couldn't write about anything I know I would 100% be doing aside from continuing with my voluntary work. If you know you'll be doing 2 or 3 awesome things for definite then I suggest you include them but not a whole paragraph. Perhaps drop them in the Voluntary work/Work experience section of your PS and/or Extra curricular section just don't talk about it too much. Just remember your interviewers could ask you about them in your PS so they to be definite.

Hope this helped and I'm glad I restored some hope for you. :biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by Medican
Hey, I literally put in one sentence to suggest that I was going on a gap year but only because my gap year was very last minute so I couldn't write about anything I know I would 100% be doing aside from continuing with my voluntary work. If you know you'll be doing 2 or 3 awesome things for definite then I suggest you include them but not a whole paragraph. Perhaps drop them in the Voluntary work/Work experience section of your PS and/or Extra curricular section just don't talk about it too much. Just remember your interviewers could ask you about them in your PS so they to be definite.

Hope this helped and I'm glad I restored some hope for you. :biggrin:

Ahh thank you! And yes I have three things lined up now. Just a few minutes ago I got a letter putting me on the waiting list eventho me ucas track says unsuccessful. Doubt there is any hope so I am just going to carry on planning.
Reply 86
Ahh thank you! And yes I have three things lined up now. Just a few minutes ago I got a letter putting me on the waiting list eventho me ucas track says unsuccessful. Doubt there is any hope so I am just going to carry on planning.

That means there's still hope!
But for now just put your head down and get those three A's!
Reply 87
Original post by Medican
That means there's still hope!
But for now just put your head down and get those three A's!

I am not going to call it hope lool, I am just going to work my butt off to extreme measures! Well done on Kings again =D =D.
Well I already know where I am applying, BSMS, Newcastle, Manchester & Leicester. No particular order...I need a stonking great UKCAT for 3 of them/maybe 4 as BSMS are reviewing their selection procedure. My UKCAT was a rubbish 600 this year and I knew I wouldnt get anywhere with that score..Getting excited at the thought of applying again though now..:biggrin:

duno why u were negged for this, maybe cuz your lazy lol? +repped u to make up for it!
Reply 90

Original post by Anonymousx3
duno why u were negged for this, maybe cuz your lazy lol? +repped u to make up for it!

Sorry that was me. I must've accidentally negged when I was on my phone. :redface:
Reply 91
Original post by Medican
Sorry that was me. I must've accidentally negged when I was on my phone. :redface:

Nah, don't worry about it. It's only rep, no big deal. :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by praj1
after 4 rejections last year....

i managed to get 3 offers this year outta 4 interviews....

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!....

Im not academically INSANE.....i just knew what i had to do.....done my research and applied tactically....

Heres my advice:

1) REVISE REVISE REVISE......get those grades!!!!!!......if you dont have the grades your never getting into med school so make suuuuure you do!...after 4 rejections it can be a bit demoralising but i got around it by thinking that i have a point to prove, and need to show all my doubters i can make it!!!

2) organise some work experience early!...start from today lol.....ring people up.....email people...get as much as you can in the summer holidays or even after october (i put down on my PS that i was going to do some in november 2011....and they were ok with that )

the more work experience=more you can talk about....and the more you can put in your Personal statement!.....so get some! (<just had an immature laugh)

3) REVISE FOR THE BMAT/UKCAT....personally i hated the UKCAT.....but preperation did help....i did about 1 month for each....and it paid off....having a high bmat/ukcat can make or break your application.....so definitely put the same emphasis on that as you would your a-levels...

4) make sure you write an epic personal statement and get lots of people to check it.....i would also recommend the TSR personal statement helper BUT.....ask them to look at it when your near the end of finishing (cos they only check it once...) but what i did was make another account and re-submitted it (naughty....i know.....but i was desperate lol)

5) APPLY TACTICALLY!.....do some proper research!!!!....RING ALL THE UNI'S YOUR THINKING OF APPLYING TO!....the admissions people often give hints and clues as to your chances.....and applying tactically is key!...play to your applications strengths.....

6) just in general for your gap year....pick up some hobbys.....i go to the gym now...have a long regular peice of work experience at my local hospital...and work in a shop.....they asked me about it at my imperial interview....

OH YA....and BTW>....PREPARE FOR INTERVIEWS LIKE A B**** LOL....

if you need anymore advice holla

ohhh gurl holla! hahhaaa love your attitude! I was sitting on my couch just digging myself a nice little warm hole bc of no motivation to study (after 8 rejections) but you know what? imma get up and do some work SON!

lol I can't believe I just wrote that.... I must be getting crazier by the second, plus I changed your gender twice (hope you don't mind) :mmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
I'm still stuck between taking a gap year and going for the graduate entry medicine :s-smilie: The problem is, I dont have the grades. I'll probably end up with BBB. I've already volunteered in a hospital for 20 weeks so can anyone see any good reasons for me to take a gap year?
Reply 94
Original post by Waqar.
I'm still stuck between taking a gap year and going for the graduate entry medicine :s-smilie: The problem is, I dont have the grades. I'll probably end up with BBB. I've already volunteered in a hospital for 20 weeks so can anyone see any good reasons for me to take a gap year?

Why not try applying abroad? Tuition in Malta is free but the deadline to complete the online application is tomorrow and it costs 95 euros to submit it? Alternatively other cheap places include Bulgaria (see outreach education website)
Reply 95
Original post by Waqar.

Have you already finished your A-Levels? If not, is there no way you'd be able to get As? I'd say it's only really worth taking a gap year if you get 3 As. You could resit while on a gap year if you don't get the grades, but your choices would be very limited. Also, if you decide to go down the grad entry route, you need to remember that it's insanely competitive. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with it. :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by Dhill94
Why not try applying abroad? Tuition in Malta is free but the deadline to complete the online application is tomorrow and it costs 95 euros to submit it? Alternatively other cheap places include Bulgaria (see outreach education website)

I don't really want to make any quick decisions but it does sound quite interesting, i'll definitely look into going abroad.

Have you already finished your A-Levels? If not, is there no way you'd be able to get As? I'd say it's only really worth taking a gap year if you get 3 As. You could resit while on a gap year if you don't get the grades, but your choices would be very limited. Also, if you decide to go down the grad entry route, you need to remember that it's insanely competitive. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with it. :smile:

If I resit during the gap year, do I have to tell the Universities that I got AAA in 3 years not 2? I don't want to deceive them but one of my teachers said that it's perfectly fine :s-smilie: My own predictions are that I can achieve BBB, maybe ABB if I'm lucky.

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated :smile:
good luck you lot!
i am a successful 2012 reapplicant, managed to survive ucas this time with 2 offers for medicine :smile:

if anyone has any questions about gap years/reapplying/anything feel free to ask me or pm me :biggrin:
Reply 98
May I join this thread?:ahee:
Background info. Applied to medicine 2011 entry, got 4 rejections w/o interview - horrible UKCAT of 572.5. Got AABa at A-level, was going to reapply as a resit re-applicant but decided to apply for Pharmacy instead since all my motivation was gone. Did the UKCAT for the lulz and got 625. Currently on a gap year. Have now got my grades up to AAAa. I have an unconditional for Pharmacy at Notts which I've accepted. I'll be applying to medicine whilst in the first year of the course. Though since I'm a resit candidate and also already going to be on a course, my options are very limited compared to if I had just taken a second gap year. Emailing a few uni's though, I've had confirmation from BMBS & Exeter med school that my application will not be affected in any way if I applied for 2013 entry. Still waiting on confirmation from Plymouth & Southampton.
Been rejected from four Medical Schools and will be reapplying in 2013.

I'm predicted AAA*, and have a b in Maths AS. Would anyone advise resitting the AS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending