Check your hermes.
Original post by The West Wing
Check your hermes.

They do look good, thanks man.
Original post by gethsemane342
1) Consolidate your notes. Work out what you want to/can drop

2) Work through the basics

3) PRACTICE EXAM QUESTIONS

4) Once you've got the basics down straight, start reading more broadly. Find articles not on your lists. KEEP PRACTICING EXAM QUESTIONS

5) If you're not sure of something, ask your supervisor

6) Get a few mates together and look at past papers together. Bounce ideas off each other (you may need to be a bit thick-skinned for this. I do not recommend trying it when you're facing family issues at the same time)

We're not supposed to be doing all this now, are we? :zomg:

PM me your email address and I'll send you my super-duper Roman Law notes.

Done and done. That will be so helpful!
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Nah. Well, consolidate your notes now - but I've found a lot of stuff I revise now doesn't stick in my head later so take it lightly for now. You want to be fresh for exam term :smile:
Nah. Well, consolidate your notes now - but I've found a lot of stuff I revise now doesn't stick in my head later so take it lightly for now. You want to be fresh for exam term :smile:

HALLELUJAH! :jebus:

Yeah, I'm just typing up all my notes and putting them in a form that is easy to revise from. Quite a lot of stuff is sticking in my head but it's good to know that it doesn't have to.

Phew, that's a massive relief. Was seriously worried that I'd have to be practising exam Qs by the end of the holidays.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Do as much as you can now but don't stress as you'll have time in Easter term

Sent.

Just got home from work :colonhash:

Just got home from work :colonhash:

But, but, I thought life got easier after we finished being students? :frown:
H
Original post by TimmonaPortella
But, but, I thought life got easier after we finished being students? :frown:

It can either be easier or (as in my case) much much harder depending on what you choose to do.
Reply 1588
Tips on droppable topics for contract and land anyone....please!
Original post by triste91
Tips on droppable topics for contract and land anyone....please!

Contract - do you know if's a NA paper? If so, his papers expect a pretty full coverage ... but he basically writes the same thing every time! You can drop the detail of:

Offer and Acceptance

UCTA

Privity

Interpretation

Non-monetary remedies

Misrep

depending on what you want to do. In reality, you'll need to know the outline at the least of all the topics.

Land:

Human Rights

Leases OR mortgages (mortgages is easier and smaller - but leases tends to crop up more often)

Freehold covenants (but the questions are easy. If you like contract, I recommend keeping it)

Again, a lot of topics are droppable in detail but you should know the outline of most. Human rights can be ignored for definite. What I did last year was know the difference between a lease and a licence and what a lease is and then ignore the rest of it.

DO NOT DROP: Overriding interests, beneficial interests in land, proprietary estoppel.
Geth, how are you handling aspects? It scares me. A lot. And I just took four/five days off, which is probably not ideal, though I now feel refreshed (which is good)...

Contract - do you know if's a NA paper? If so, his papers expect a pretty full coverage ... but he basically writes the same thing every time! You can drop the detail of:

Offer and Acceptance

UCTA

Privity

Interpretation

Non-monetary remedies

Misrep

depending on what you want to do. In reality, you'll need to know the outline at the least of all the topics.

Land:

Human Rights

Leases OR mortgages (mortgages is easier and smaller - but leases tends to crop up more often)

Freehold covenants (but the questions are easy. If you like contract, I recommend keeping it)

Again, a lot of topics are droppable in detail but you should know the outline of most. Human rights can be ignored for definite. What I did last year was know the difference between a lease and a licence and what a lease is and then ignore the rest of it.

DO NOT DROP: Overriding interests, beneficial interests in land, proprietary estoppel.

Detail of offer and acceptance can probably be dropped--but it's also a piece of piss and there seems to be a problem question with a good chunk of o&a each year. (That said, there was a hybrid problem/essay last year, so it might be given a little less priority this year.) I think PD wrote last year's paper, which was a gift, but I could be wrong.

Given the Rainy Sky v Kookmin Bank interpretation Supreme Court decision, I think it's probably worthwhile doing interpretation in a bit more depth--there's a solid chance of an essay on it.

I'd make sure you know Jones v Kernott inside and out--biggest land case in quite a while.
H
It can either be easier or (as in my case) much much harder depending on what you choose to do.

But hey, at least you get paid... I think for anyone in commercial practice life gets harder once you finish. The hours, at least, are much tougher and aren't optional/can't be done when you fancy putting them in. One reason to enjoy what's left of our time as students! :tongue: (In fairness, we did *decide* to work in sweatshops commercial law firms.)
Original post by jjarvis
Geth, how are you handling aspects? It scares me. A lot. And I just took four/five days off, which is probably not ideal, though I now feel refreshed (which is good)...

Detail of offer and acceptance can probably be dropped--but it's also a piece of piss and there seems to be a problem question with a good chunk of o&a each year. (That said, there was a hybrid problem/essay last year, so it might be given a little less priority this year.) I think PD wrote last year's paper, which was a gift, but I could be wrong.

Given the Rainy Sky v Kookmin Bank interpretation Supreme Court decision, I think it's probably worthwhile doing interpretation in a bit more depth--there's a solid chance of an essay on it.

I'd make sure you know Jones v Kernott inside and out--biggest land case in quite a while.

Nope, NA did last year's paper. He apparently admitted it in the exam to the main room (you were in the section of the year which was outside that one), he wrote the examiner's report and, let's be honest, the misrep question was basically the same as the previous year's except he added damages to it.

PD did Aspects last year and I'm 95% sure he's done it this year or is at least in charge of it (he's been to every seminar and told us what to expect on the paper, topics-wise. But PC admitted to writing the Insurance question).

Thing is, interpretation will give you one question out of 9-10. I always prefer knowing topics which will give me the ability to do 2 of them (when mixed with other factors)

I've written my notes for Aspects. I think it's going to turn out OK, actually, because of how much it overlaps :smile: I'm doing economic torts (comes up in Labour. In our supo, I was well on top of it. SD asked what torts were there and I just went, "Right! Well..." and launched into it), property torts, restitution, punitive damages/restitution for wrongs and accessory liability (overlaps with equity and economic torts and labour :tongue:) with factual causation as my last resort topic. The issue is going to be cramming all of that info in...
Reply 1593
Thanks - I'm not much of an essay person in Contract so will be going for 4 problems....will I still need Interpretation?
Thanks - I'm not much of an essay person in Contract so will be going for 4 problems....will I still need Interpretation?

I doubt it - it seems like more of an essay thing.

Only thing to be careful of though is that NA likes hybrid questions: a short problem and a short essay in one question isn't unheard of...

(He also thinks candidates who write essays are stronger)
Original post by jjarvis
But hey, at least you get paid... I think for anyone in commercial practice life gets harder once you finish. The hours, at least, are much tougher and aren't optional/can't be done when you fancy putting them in. One reason to enjoy what's left of our time as students! :tongue: (In fairness, we did *decide* to work in sweatshops commercial law firms.)

The advice we've been given is don't plan anything for the weekday that isn't cancellable. You genuinely never know when you're going to leave on any given day. If you plan something you pay the price for it. We often get emails go round like 'I have tickets to the football tonight but I can't go because of work, does anyone want my tickets?'. Usually everyone else has to work too.

My working week has been so far:

Mon - Left at 9.45PM
Tues - Left at 7.45PM
Weds - Left at 1AM
Thurs - Left at 7.15PM (after having been told to expect a late night)
Friday - who knows?
Sat + Sun ?????

Last week one of the trainees got a call on Sunday morning telling them to come in, they ended up staying until noon on Monday.

It would be much easier if we had a fixed leaving time e.g. 8.30PM so you actually know when you can see your friends and family etc!

On the other hand, in Cambridge a typical day would be:

Mon - Procrastinate all day, do 2 hours reading in the evening. Go out. Come back and open Westlaw but actually go on Facebook for 3 hours.

Tues - Go to a 1 hour lecture. Meet up with friends for coffee. Look for the book I need in the library. Flick through it to make sure it's the right book. Hide it somewhere in the Seely so others won't be able to find it. Spend 3 hours chatting to people in the law faculty. Have dinner in hall. Go to a talk at the Union. Come back and have an argument with your friend about the debate. Try to sleep but neighbours are being too loud, complain about it on TSR. Open Word to begin writing essay. Write 50 words of essay. Decide I'm too tired to so on Facebook instead.

etc. etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

On the other hand, in Cambridge a typical day would be:

Mon - Procrastinate all day, do 2 hours reading in the evening. Go out. Come back and open Westlaw but actually go on Facebook for 3 hours.

Tues - Go to a 1 hour lecture. Meet up with friends for coffee. Look for the book I need in the library. Flick through it to make sure it's the right book. Hide it somewhere in the Seely so others won't be able to find it. Spend 3 hours chatting to people in the law faculty. Have dinner in hall. Go to a talk at the Union. Come back and have an argument with your friend about the debate. Try to sleep but neighbours are being too loud, complain about it on TSR. Open Word to begin writing essay. Write 50 words of essay. Decide I'm too tired to so on Facebook instead.

etc. etc.

lol you literally just summed up my lent term ffs

(I was joking about it getting easier, I realise we actually don't have it too bad, save for exam term/ easter hols)
Reply 1597
The advice we've been given is don't plan anything for the weekday that isn't cancellable. You genuinely never know when you're going to leave on any given day. If you plan something you pay the price for it. We often get emails go round like 'I have tickets to the football tonight but I can't go because of work, does anyone want my tickets?'. Usually everyone else has to work too.

My working week has been so far:

Mon - Left at 9.45PM
Tues - Left at 7.45PM
Weds - Left at 1AM
Thurs - Left at 7.15PM (after having been told to expect a late night)
Friday - who knows?
Sat + Sun ?????

That's crazy! Are you working in the MC?
That's crazy! Are you working in the MC?

I'll leave this to TWW, but I'm not sure there's that much difference between MC/SC--really depends more on the state of the markets, the group you're in, and what your supervisors are like. Some firms have a worse reputation than others, but at the top end it can be brutal regardless of where you are. The other thing is, while those hours are very unpredictable, they're not that bad--2 out of 4 after 8, only 1 out of 4 after midnight, no all nighters. As TWW noted, some people do end up doing all nighters.
FFS, my DoS has set me such high standards for Consti that when I got a borderline 1st in an essay, I felt a twinge of disappointment. :lolwut:

That's just so wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending