The Student Room Group

Should those on life imprisonment terms be allowed an early release in the UK?

In exceptionally grave circumstances, a judge can set a 'whole life order' where there is no parole for the defendant.

However, in life imprisonment, the judge merely sets a minimum term which the defendant must serve before he is eligible for early release (i.e parole).

Should this be accepted? Should we allow murderers the chance to leave prison (e.g a 22 year being sentenced to 33 years in prison and then being allowed to leave in the 34th year for 'good behaviour' or something similar)?

What do you think?

Should life imprisonment be more harsh - should the full gravity of the defendant's crime be shown to him through the harshness of never being released?

Or is the problem just so-called overcrowding?
Reply 1
If they're in a position to contribute to society then yeah, I don't see why not. If someone's not a threat to society, and can integrate into a community, then keeping them confined in a prison seems a silly waste of money.
Reply 2
It depends on what crime they committed and whether they're still considered dangerous.
Reply 3
Original post by Kolya
If they're in a position to contribute to society then yeah, I don't see why not. If someone's not a threat to society, and can integrate into a community, then keeping them confined in a prison seems a silly waste of money.

Why should they be allowed to live a normal life when they have taken the life of another or made someone suffer extreme pain? Cost should have nothing to do with it some people don't deserve to be rehabilitated they deserve to be punished to the full.

Some of these left wing ***** would have put Hitler in prison for 25 years then released him to live the rest of his life.
They don't get early release, IPP prisoners are set a minimum tariff which they have to serve but it's not a guarantee of release and even if they are released from prison they are still only released on license so can be recalled to prison for minor offenses. IPP sentences can be a big kick up the arse for people too, i've known young men to get an IPP sentence with a short tariff (2/3 years) for dealing class A's and the contemplation that they could spend the rest of their lives banged up is a big shock to the system and it can change their lives. Obviously their are flaws to the scheme and some offenders may be released to commit serious offenses but i'd rather lived in a society which had this system than a system like in the states which locks away people for the rest of their lives without the blink of an eye.
Original post by Shabalala
Why should they be allowed to live a normal life when they have taken the life of another or made someone suffer extreme pain? Cost should have nothing to do with it some people don't deserve to be rehabilitated they deserve to be punished to the full.

Some of these left wing ***** would have put Hitler in prison for 25 years then released him to live the rest of his life.

They wont live a normal life though. One would hope that prison has made them regret the actions they took, and remember that they have to live with the consequences.
Life should always mean life. Chuck 'em in and throw away the key. No excuses.
Reply 7
Original post by Shabalala

If cost has nothing to do with it in your mind then I'd be happy for their prison costs to be funded from voluntary donations by people like yourselves. I don't see why I should be punished financially by those seeking vengeance rather than security or prosperity.
some one sentanced to 'life' is never actually released they are subject to recall at any time and for things which ordinarily would not merit a custodial sentence

from the Scottish Prison service but release on licence is similar across the UK as a whole

http://www.sps.gov.uk/VictimNotificationScheme/sentencing-explained.aspx
Reply 9
It's not life imprisonment, it's a life sentence.

It basically means that they will never be "released". Just because someone is not in jail it does NOT mean they are free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending