Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private plates

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, I don't have a car yet, (looking to purchase my first one this summer) and I was thinking, do any of you have private plates on your cars? I want one, I'm not going to spend £1,000s on one (found one for less than £200) but i'm interested to see if anyone else has got one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airdoc)
    Hey Guys, I don't have a car yet, (looking to purchase my first one this summer) and I was thinking, do any of you have private plates on your cars? I want one, I'm not going to spend £1,000s on one (found one for less than £200) but i'm interested to see if anyone else has got one
    If you've got money to burn, then why not? Despite the variation of numbers and letters, most of the ones I see read 'I have more money than I know what to do with'. It must be some sort of optical illusion as I don't know how they all manage to say the same thing.

Is that 'less than £200' including VAT, the compulsory £80 transfer fee, and actually having the plates made? Check again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i have them
    21st birthday present because my family didnt know what to get me
    i think its a brilliant idea for something like that.... wont ever get lost or broken and will hide the fact my car is 12 years old
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    will hide the fact my car is 12 years old
    x
    By making it look even older?

And please tell me your plate has some sort of meaning and isn't just an expensive bunch of random characters...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    By making it look even older?

And please tell me your plate has some sort of meaning and isn't just an expensive bunch of random characters...
    tisk!

random letter 21 (because i was turning 21) and LOT (for Lottie )
    i actually saw a car a few months ago different letter then 21LOT the same! ! exciting!
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    tisk!

random letter 21 (because i was turning 21) and LOT (for Lottie )
    i actually saw a car a few months ago different letter then 21LOT the same! ! exciting!
    x
    So yes then.

As personal plates go, that's one of the more sensible types. It's the ones that need explaining to actually understand what they mean, or where they have used numbers too creatively as letters, like 7 for J or 12 for R, and so make it look like they've had to make do because the one they wanted wasn't available, that look stupid to me. Do it properly, or not at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So yes then.

As personal plates go, that's one of the more sensible types. It's the ones that need explaining to actually understand what they mean, or where they have used numbers too creatively as letters, like 7 for J or 12 for R, and so make it look like they've had to make do because the one they wanted wasn't available, that look stupid to me. Do it properly, or not at all.
    7 for J is pretty out there, but 12 for R is fine, I think.

Although all-in-all I don't see the point of private plates whatsoever. If you're so desperate to have a "message" on your car, you can paint it on in any font or colour you like, without having to compromise on which letters to use, all for no cost whatsoever.

It's supposed to convey status, but I don't care enough what other people think to want them to judge me as having a status of success, especially as they don't know me and probably won't even see anything of me except the back of my head. I don't know why other people do care so much. Also, if I was interested in status and had so much money to burn, I'd just get a new (expensive) car quite frequently and let the year on the plate speak for itself.

Especially pointless when you see it on something like a 1995 Citroen Saxo or a Corsa with a fat exhaust and a plastic body kit... attempting to convey status with a plate when you drive a heap of junk?

It's all a bit ludicrous, imo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So yes then.

i really hate the ones that have numbers as letters i always think they look really chavvy :|

though because i am uber cool... my old number plates the ones from before my personalised number were made for me and at the bottom where it says the garage name normally mine said "lotties car"...

x

(Original post by oo00oo)
    It's supposed to convey status, but I don't care enough what other people think to want them to judge me as having a status of success, especially as they don't know me and probably won't even see anything of me except the back of my head. I don't know why other people do care so much. Also, if I was interested in status and had so much money to burn, I'd just get a new (expensive) car quite frequently and let the year on the plate speak for itself.
    the price of a number plate would go nowhere towards a new car...
    i have W reg corsa.... (i think the fact im still in letters makes it seem instantly ancient ) my number plates were about £300.. id love to see what beauty you could find for 300+ what you could get for my car
    im thinking i might as well stick with my car... and be in denial about how old it is...

everyone i know who have personalised plates friends and family, were all bought them as gifts...which i think is brilliant they wont get broken or lost... if i hadnt been bought mine they probably would have gotten me more jewellery, i already have plenty of jewellery that im too scared of loosing to actually wear
    x
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've got money to burn, then why not? Despite the variation of numbers and letters, most of the ones I see read 'I have more money than I know what to do with'. It must be some sort of optical illusion as I don't know how they all manage to say the same thing.

Is that 'less than £200' including VAT, the compulsory £80 transfer fee, and actually having the plates made? Check again.
    no, not including those things, actual plate is £225 I meant less than £300.. Doesnt matter now, but I'd be willing to pay 3-400 for one. Its not going to be a random bunch of pointless numbers and letters, its gonna be something unique to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the price of a number plate would go nowhere towards a new car...
    Either way you are quite mistaken. The cheapest plates I have found all inclusive are £270 or there abouts, only £40 short of what I paid for my car. However this is the cheap end of the scale. Plates can easily run into the thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of pounds, easily enough for a car.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airdoc)
    its gonna be something unique to me.
    Hate to point out the obvious, but it would by definition. I presume you mean meaningful

The most expensive one I could get which would be meaningful to me (my initials and a number, is over £76k before VAT, pushing £100k after
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hate to point out the obvious, but it would by definition. I presume you mean meaningful

The most expensive one I could get which would be meaningful to me (my initials and a number, is over £76k before VAT, pushing £100k after
    Haha Im tired, I meant meaningful, and oh man, thats a bummer.. Keep looking!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has a "private plate".
    No two number plates are the same!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread was going to be a bitchfest about refusing to share plates with housemates :emo:
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Everyone has a "private plate".
    No two number plates are the same!
    To be pedantic, then the ones on the front and back of your car (should) say the same

But yeah, I get your point. I think it can be nice to mark something special, but would only consider it if I had plenty of money anyway, which I don't currently
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those who hate them are jealous imo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Either way you are quite mistaken. The cheapest plates I have found all inclusive are £270 or there abouts, only £40 short of what I paid for my car. However this is the cheap end of the scale. Plates can easily run into the thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of pounds, easily enough for a car.
    oh the uber expensive ones of course...
    but cheap ones like mine (300 ish) isnt going to get someone anything much better than they have already... kind of not worth changing it... top end of the scale i could get for my car 600ish.... so we'll be generous round it up to £1000....
    everything that comes up is in the same price bracket as mine... maybe a few years newer which just = money lost quicker... a year down the line that car will be worth same amount as mine... and i wont have pretty number plates to hide the age of it ... lol

if someone can afford the mega bucks ones they can probably afford a new car while there at it... so the fact the plates cost money means nothing to them...making the whole argument completely irrelevant
    x
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPhone)
    Those who hate them are jealous imo.
    I don't think that's a fair statement.
    All my cars have the original number plates on them. Sure, an "MG ####" number plate on either of the MG's or a "BL ###" number plate on the morris would be a talking point, but I can think of many many things I'd rather spend money on than a number plate.
    Even then, the whole point of it is to make the car distinguishable from all the other cars on the road from the point of view of the police etc...

For what it costs to change a number plate - circa £400 it'd be better spent on something that you will feel the benefit from - new set of tyres / rebush the suspension / new distributor / new carb - the list goes on!

-JC.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the point tbh. We have really nice cars and generally replace them every 2 years, never had a private number plate, complete waste of money.

However, I do think that it would make sense for perhaps an older person to get one so that they can remember the numbers - if they find it difficult - when they switch cars.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seems like most people who dont need them get them to mask the age of the car. My family run a business so their cars have private plates so I guess theres a point to having them. If I ever become wealthy I wouldnt mind private plates so long as the cars worth more then them, otherwise I think its a bit pointless.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.