The Student Room Group

Poor practical skills

Hi im intersted in doing an engineering degree maybe electrical and i have picked these subjects for A level; Maths,Physics,History,Economics. Would they be a good combination for EEE. Also i would like to know how much practical work and drawing is involved in engineering as while i am academically quite clever i have very poor fine motor skills and cant draw. So would engineering be a suitable degree for me to do?
Reply 1
Your A levels are not very suitable and will play against you. I'd pick Maths, F. Maths, Physics, Econ. In EEE there's very little drawing - small circuits and it's all straight lines. Furthermore, it's all done on a computer and you know drawing straight lines on a computer isn't hard.
Reply 2
Original post by s5s
Your A levels are not very suitable and will play against you. I'd pick Maths, F. Maths, Physics, Econ. In EEE there's very little drawing - small circuits and it's all straight lines. Furthermore, it's all done on a computer and you know drawing straight lines on a computer isn't hard.

Ok thank you for your advice, however i have picked my a levels based on what im good at and what i enjoy as i would be most likely to the best in these subjects. I have considered further maths but i think it would be too hard for me to get an A in. Wouldnt just Maths and physics suffice for an EEE degree? Is not doing Further Maths a major disadvantage?
Reply 3
I know some people that have done just maths and physics and no F. Maths. They do just fine once accepted. I was more worried at how universities are going to look at the fact that you've picked 2 science disciplines (Maths,Physics) and 2 non-science disciplines. Although Economics is sometimes refereed to as science and it has some connections to engineering. If I were you I'd probably substitute History with F. Maths. Even if you don't do as well in F. Maths you still have other 3 subjects for 3 A's. And at least F. Maths is going to help you after A-Levels. History will be of no use (careerwise) after A-Levels.

I'm more worried about the fact that if you think you can't do Further Maths and find it hard then maybe engineering is not exactly what you want to do. Depends on the university but engineering isn't an easy degree. It isn't hard if you're good in science but if you're not it will strain you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
No unis require F Maths because not every college/sixth form offers it so I'd just look at individual uni requirements. Although it would look good and help with the degree, it's probably best to do something you can guarantee the grades in.
Reply 5
Original post by :)ella
No unis require F Maths because not every college/sixth form offers it so I'd just look at individual uni requirements. Although it would look good and help with the degree, it's probably best to do something you can guarantee the grades in.

Ok thanks for the advice
Wow I have the same problem. Thing is I did want to do Further Maths but the 6th forms I've applied to won't let me do it even though they offer it.. even if I got great results on AS do you reckon I would be considerably disadvantages at places like Imperial and UCL (admissions wise)? My current school doesn't offer FM but then again my current school isn't exactly great anyway so staying here would most likely hinder my grades.
Not doing FM will impact your admission chances to Imperial and UCL. It will however not stop you going there provided you have an excellent application (and are an excellent student).
Reply 8
how hard is further maths?
Reply 9
Original post by chelseafan
how hard is further maths?

I think you need to ask yourself how good are you at Maths and how confident are you while doing it.

After I did Maths at AS, i realized I wanted to do more of it. So I convinced my school and teachers to let me take FM. So, I did FM 4 years ago and I did all of it a just one year (AS&A2). I am guessing it isnt much easier or harder since I did it, so it depends entirely one you.
Reply 10
Bump

oh and btw im stuck between picking history or chemistry. Which would be more useful for engineering?
Original post by chelseafan
...history or chemistry. Which would be more useful for engineering?

What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest