Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Alternative Routes to General Practice

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I've just received another rejection to medical school, but I'm holding an offer for Biomedical Sciences. This is actually a lucky accident as the Biomed degree lets me study some modules I'm interested in such as Physiology without doing all the messy hospital work (which I'm happy to do, but not as a full time job).

My point is this - if I accept a place on the Biomedical Degree, when I've finished it are there access courses to General Practise or a way that I can go directly to GP training? Or will I still have to do postgrad medicine?

Just to note, I'm not looking for a cheats way in or a lazy route, and I'm sure medicine is for me before anyone suggests that it may not be owing to my desire to avoid hospitals. I appreciate that some time in a hospital will be necessary, but do GP training courses exist, and what are the entry requirements for them?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, you need a medicine degree I'm afraid
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwmfranklin)
    Hi all,
    I've just received another rejection to medical school, but I'm holding an offer for Biomedical Sciences. This is actually a lucky accident as the Biomed degree lets me study some modules I'm interested in such as Physiology without doing all the messy hospital work (which I'm happy to do, but not as a full time job).

My point is this - if I accept a place on the Biomedical Degree, when I've finished it are there access courses to General Practise or a way that I can go directly to GP training? Or will I still have to do postgrad medicine?

Just to note, I'm not looking for a cheats way in or a lazy route, and I'm sure medicine is for me before anyone suggests that it may not be owing to my desire to avoid hospitals. I appreciate that some time in a hospital will be necessary, but do GP training courses exist, and what are the entry requirements for them?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    In order to become a GP (or any doctor/surgeon for that matter), you have to have a primary medical qualification (i.e. MB BS / MB ChB / MB BChir etc.)

No two ways about it, unfortunately :sad:

You can however apply for GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine, UCAS code A101), which is a 4 year accelerated medicine course, which gets you the same degree qualification, but it's just 1 year shorter. You must, however, have an undergraduate bachelor's degree at 2.1 (Hons.) level before even considering GEM. These courses are extremely competitive though, more so than the undergraduate (A100) medicine courses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.