Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

indicating at roundabouts

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're approaching a roundabout and want to take the first exit, you indicate left dont you? And right for any other exit, then left as you're going round when the next exit is the one you want to take?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't indicate right for straight but you do intact left as you're approaching the exit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the approach:
    Indicate left for the first exit.
    Indicate right for any exit beyond the 12 o'clock position.
    Don't indicate for straight ahead or for any left that is not the first exit.

On the roundabout:
    Indicate left when you've passed the exit prior to the one you want to take.
    Remember to keep checking mirrors and over shoulders for all round awareness.

HTH
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    If you're approaching a roundabout and want to take the first exit, you indicate left dont you? And right for any other exit, then left as you're going round when the next exit is the one you want to take?
    For left: Indicate before going in, keep indicating left.
    For straight: No indication when going in, a bit before you reach your exit indicate left.
    For right: Indicate right before going in, a bit before you reach your exit indicate left.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ta, I thought so . . .

I was just checking cos this woman nearly ran me over today. I was walking, and about to cross one of the exits, a few metres away from the roundabout. The only car about was approaching from a different exit, and indicating right which I thought meant that she wasn't going to take her first exit, which was the one I was already crossing. She then came storming along and did an emergency stop a few feet away from me and starting yelling at me for crossing when she was coming, but 1) It's an official crossing with one of those island things in the middle and 2) She was indicating right !!!! BUT I didn't want to argue back incase I was wrong
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ta, I thought so . . .

I was just checking cos this woman nearly ran me over today. I was walking, and about to cross one of the exits, a few metres away from the roundabout. The only car about was approaching from a different exit, and indicating right which I thought meant that she wasn't going to take her first exit, which was the one I was already crossing. She then came storming along and did an emergency stop a few feet away from me and starting yelling at me for crossing when she was coming, but 1) It's an official crossing with one of those island things in the middle and 2) She was indicating right !!!! BUT I didn't want to argue back incase I was wrong
    Was it blinking fast by any chance?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    starting yelling at me for crossing when she was coming
    You could have politely reminded her about roundabout rule
    In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to
    •pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
    Even if she was indicating correctly makes no difference. Blind people are allowed to cross roads.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ta, I thought so . . .

But arguing when you're wrong is fine anyway!

Otherwise there would never be any arguments at all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    But arguing when you're wrong is fine anyway!

Otherwise there would never be any arguments at all.

Fair dos, but I don't like arguing so I only do it when I KNOW I'm right.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I saw a woman indicate right when leaving a roundabout today, crazy (as in, when most people would indicate left, she indicated right.)
    But anyway, people indicating at roundabouts really pisses me off, especially when I first started learning about roundabouts and hardly anybody indicated when leaving one and some people just dont indicate at all, very confusing for a learner!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    For left: Indicate before going in, keep indicating left.
    For straight: No indication when going in, a bit before you reach your exit indicate left.
    For right: Indicate right before going in, a bit before you reach your exit indicate left.
    I agree.
    This is what ive always done and was always taught to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that you indicated right only if you were taking the last exit (the one before the one where you enter the roundabout), I don't know if this is right though.
    Sometimes I don't indicate right as I think that it's more important to indicate left before you exit, to show other road users that you'll be exiting on the next exit.
    From what I've seen, very few people actually indicate at all on roundabouts, it annoys me more than most other things when driving as it always causes me to stop unnecessarily.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.