The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hockeyislife
no news is good news. I got rejected today from QMUL so unless by some miracle I get LSE or UCL it looks as if I'll be choosing between McGill and Reading :/

I'm sorry to hear that. On the other hand,isn't mcgill supposed to be really good? And how come you ruled out leicester?
Reply 3501
no news is good news. I got rejected today from QMUL so unless by some miracle I get LSE or UCL it looks as if I'll be choosing between McGill and Reading :/

McGill no question! Isn't it like the best in Canada?
Original post by amyelizabeth2681
Anybody else get an email from UCL saying they've been stuck in a holding batch for applications to be reconsidered? And so the waiting continues....

Yeah I got that too...sucks...:frown:
It's the only one i'm waiting for and I just want to get on with it a firm out of the ones I've got! I know i'm going for LSE so it's just =/ I want to sort out my finance and my accommodation etc!
If you want to work, travel and get some work experience to beef up your personal statement, I think that's quite a good idea. The only worrying thing is taking your LNAT again, it's not really something you can revise so do you think you'll be able to improve on your score?

What did you get at AS? x

i got A history
A Further Maths
B English Literature (but predicted, and on course for an A*)
A* Maths (full a-level)
Original post by Bea492
McGill no question! Isn't it like the best in Canada?

It is by far but the thing is there is no direct entry law here in Canada meaning that if I take the Undergraduate route there is no guarantee that I get into law school wear as Reading is offering me Law (hons) which is recognized as a professional degree.
Original post by silence18
I'm sorry to hear that. On the other hand,isn't mcgill supposed to be really good? And how come you ruled out leicester?

McGill is an amazing school but it doesn't offer direct entry law so if I went there I would have no guarantee of getting into Law school down the road where as Reading offers a professional law degree right away. And I didn't rule out Leicester, I just forgot to include it in my sad rant :P
Reply 3506
It is by far but the thing is there is no direct entry law here in Canada meaning that if I take the Undergraduate route there is no guarantee that I get into law school wear as Reading is offering me Law (hons) which is recognized as a professional degree.

Ah I see your problem :frown: is Law a post grad in Canada?

If you don't want to go to Reading, how about a gap year? Aren't school leavers in Canada a year younger anyway? (Probably completely wrong :tongue:)
McGill is an amazing school but it doesn't offer direct entry law so if I went there I would have no guarantee of getting into Law school down the road where as Reading offers a professional law degree right away. And I didn't rule out Leicester, I just forgot to include it in my sad rant :P

Oh, I understand.Well, for the time being you should wait and see what the other two unis have to say. I think there was someone on this thread who got rejected by qm but had a lse offer. :smile:
Fingers crossed!
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone, all of it is helpful in aiding my decision. Just to clarify:

My GCSE's were 10A* 2As and if they are viewed in respect to the school you are from then my results were 2nd best at the school.

My As-Levels were AAB with an A* complete maths A-level and the B has been predicted an A*, which i am on course to achieve.

My A2 predictions were 2A* 2As

I never received an interview from Oxford but received a letter from the Head Tutor stating that i qualified on all aspects of my application, and might have had an offer if i got 2 more marks in my LNAT, telling me to re-apply for Oxford for my masters.

So if i am to rephrase my question, is the risk worth it in taking a gap year and getting work experience in a Law firm and re-applying for a top university? Or does a 2:1 (although i intend to get a first, just looking at possible scenarios) from Kent still allow me to get a job in a good city firm after i graduate?
Reply 3509
Original post by michiiru
I just called Axiata today.
Apparently they don't offer scholarships for Law anymore.
The staff there re-affirmed it.
I'm so depressed ):

I know. Was pretty bummed :frown: Hopefully, JPA would offer scholarships for law.
Original post by buttons06
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone, all of it is helpful in aiding my decision. Just to clarify:

My GCSE's were 10A* 2As and if they are viewed in respect to the school you are from then my results were 2nd best at the school.

My As-Levels were AAB with an A* complete maths A-level and the B has been predicted an A*, which i am on course to achieve.

My A2 predictions were 2A* 2As

I never received an interview from Oxford but received a letter from the Head Tutor stating that i qualified on all aspects of my application, and might have had an offer if i got 2 more marks in my LNAT, telling me to re-apply for Oxford for my masters.

So if i am to rephrase my question, is the risk worth it in taking a gap year and getting work experience in a Law firm and re-applying for a top university? Or does a 2:1 (although i intend to get a first, just looking at possible scenarios) from Kent still allow me to get a job in a good city firm after i graduate?

If Oxford were to tease you by telling you that a mere 2 marks on the LNAT would've snagged you an offer, then that speaks volumes about their arbitrary use of the LNAT.

Call me silly, but I certainly wouldn't reapply. Go for Cambridge, and I sincerely hope you get in.
I want to apply to Cardiff Uni next year for Law.

They say I either need AAA with two tradition subjects (I have but I don't think I'm capable of an A in English Lit) or AABB with two traditional subjects which I think I could get with the As being History/Psychology and the others Sociology and Lit.

If my GCSEs are:
AABBBBCCCCCC will they give me an offer?
Original post by Miracle Day
I want to apply to Cardiff Uni next year for Law.

They say I either need AAA with two tradition subjects (I have but I don't think I'm capable of an A in English Lit) or AABB with two traditional subjects which I think I could get with the As being History/Psychology and the others Sociology and Lit.

If my GCSEs are:
AABBBBCCCCCC will they give me an offer?

Your GCSEs should be fine. Just get decent AS results.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Your GCSEs should be fine. Just get decent AS results.

Thanks dude.

I can't believe I'll have to keep 4 a levels next year for god sake!
Original post by Miracle Day
Thanks dude.

I can't believe I'll have to keep 4 a levels next year for god sake!

You would probably be alright with History, Psychology and Sociology.. Most universities use the term 'traditional subjects' loosely.
Original post by Tsunami2011
You would probably be alright with History, Psychology and Sociology.. Most universities use the term 'traditional subjects' loosely.

Omg my day has just been made
Original post by Crystalique
Yeah I got that too...sucks...:frown:
It's the only one i'm waiting for and I just want to get on with it a firm out of the ones I've got! I know i'm going for LSE so it's just =/ I want to sort out my finance and my accommodation etc!

Me too! I've already got an offer from Birmingham, so it'd be really nice if UCL could let me know if I got in or not, seeing as if I don't get into UCL, Birmingham it is. Need to apply for accommodation and what not so yea...I'm definitely frustrated.

Hmmm...wonder what my chances are of getting a place. I got a 19 on my LNAT and 4 A's in Economics, History, Spanish and Government and politics. I've seen people with better grades than that that haven't gotten in :frown:
Original post by lil1
I applied for Law with French to Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham and straight Law LLB at Newcastle. I got offer from Birm, Leeds and Newcastle but got rejected by Notts probably due to my LNAT score :frown:

I know Newcastle is an amazing Uni, but I really wanted to do Law with French and they no longer offer it there. I firmed Birmingham as I don't really want to go to Leeds. However, I'm doing a gap year and I don't know If i should reapply to Notts or not? Advice please!!

Also, apparently Law with French is a BA at Notts but it's an LLB at Birm. Someone please tell me the difference?

I ended up taking a gap year and I think it worked wonders for me. Last year I was predicted 2 A* and 2 As in Government and politics, economics, history and spanish and got an LNAT score of 17/47. After I got my grades, I ended up with 4 A's in total and improved my LNAT score to 19/42 and so far have unconditional offers from Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham and Bristol and I'm currently waiting for UCL to reply. Last year, I only got into East Anglia, Southampton and Birmingham, with rejections from Warwick and Oxford (they didn't even give me an interview). Personally, I think a gap year helps because universities know your grades are confirmed and aren't worried about you not meeting their offer, so they are more willing to give you an offer. I was personally forced into a gap year (long story) but it worked out in the end. It is something to really think about though because you have to find something to do during your gap year, so definitely think about it.

Also, if your main goal is to become a barrister or solicitor I recommend the LLB instead of the BA. The LLB exempts you from the first or academic stage of examinations by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and Bar Standards Board, whereas the BA is a Bachelor of Arts and is more if you want to devote less time towards Law. The LLB is also more respected as a degree when it comes to finding a job as a solicitor or barrister. It's difficult finding an LLB joint degree just because there's so much to cover, but it all depends on what it is you want as a career. If that's not the case though, the BA will give you more room in your schedule to take other modules concerning another subject and isn't so strictly based on law alone. Hope it helps!
Original post by amyelizabeth2681

The LLB exempts you from the first or academic stage of examinations by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and Bar Standards Board, whereas the BA is a Bachelor of Arts and is more if you want to devote less time towards Law.

Original post by lil1
Also, apparently Law with French is a BA at Notts but it's an LLB at Birm. Someone please tell me the difference?

Taken directly from Notts' Law prospectus:

The LLB degree usually consists entirely of law subjects taken over three or four years.. The BA Law degree is a mixed degree in which law subjects are studied in conjunction with other non-law subjects..

Both is a qualifying law degree if you choose the correct modules (contract, tort, criminal, EU, equity and trust, public). If you didn't take any of these seven modules during your time studying the BA, you'll have to take the GDL before going on the LPC or BPTC.

Original post by SelPYH
I know. Was pretty bummed :frown: Hopefully, JPA would offer scholarships for law.

JPA does offer scholarships for Law if you're a post-SPM student. I have no idea whether they will offer to post A-levels students or not. Though according to the news, the government is planning to reduce the number of overseas scholarships so that more of the "better" students attend the local universities instead.

Anyways, Axiata is not the only corp that offers scholarships. There are plenty of corp that does (talk to your college's admission counselors). I always find getting scholarships from MNCs a little dodgy. They are not law firms and the fact you'll have to come back and work for them post-uni means you won't be practicing in the legal field?
Reply 3519
Original post by Akiraryuu

JPA does offer scholarships for Law if you're a post-SPM student. I have no idea whether they will offer to post A-levels students or not. Though according to the news, the government is planning to reduce the number of overseas scholarships so that more of the "better" students attend the local universities instead.

Anyways, Axiata is not the only corp that offers scholarships. There are plenty of corp that does (talk to your college's admission counselors). I always find getting scholarships from MNCs a little dodgy. They are not law firms and the fact you'll have to come back and work for them post-uni means you won't be practicing in the legal field?

JPA stopped giving out scholarships for post-SPM from this year onwards. That's why there wasn't a hype about it compared to the previous years.

I am going to submit my Khazanah app today and honestly I don't feel like I really stand a chance on getting a scholarship from Khazanah. That prickling feeling I never really had while applying for others. :\ And I haven't started writing the personal statement for Securities Commission yet either. >< Maybank is also being an a** cuz their overseas scholarship is only for post-SPM.

Perhaps you'll become the legal advisors/consultants of the MNCs?

One more thing tho, about replying to offers.
I sent my app on 6th Jan, and have heard back from Notts, UCL, Kings and Exeter, but not Warwick.
Today is 31st March, and also a Saturday, and I assume that since Saturdays aren't working days, I will not be getting Warwick's answer by the 31st March mark?

If that is the case, would that mean that since my last decision is going to come after the 31st March, my deadline for replying to my offers isn't 9th May?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending