The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by nfarmer1
is this for the undergrad or grad at liverpool? i have a undergrad offer but still waiting on any news for grad!!

grad :-)
did you apply for both?
Reply 881
Original post by elavender
Yeah personally I thought "ugh, really not going to learn this way, and it's going to take so much longer and be really annoying and what if I get an awful group etc"
When in reality I think it prepares you a lot more for the real world, especially as a dentist or medic etc, because it makes you think for yourself and come up with diagnoses and research things rather than just being lectured at and told the answer and just copying it from a board. As you research the topic and discuss it (usually a scenario lasted for 3 weeks, well it did for when I did it) and refine it and come back with dilemmas and solutions etc I found that it stuck in my head a lot longer and when faced with an examination question you could think it through and work it out? Useful for when you're in practice and you're there on your lonesome and have to work it out! Plus it gives you opinions, ideas and views from other people that you might not have even thought of :smile: Good for team-building.
And as for the group thing, there's always a demonstrator/teacher type person who oversees each meeting and makes sure that one person doesn't dominate the discussion nor is there anyone left out and everyone is encouraged equally and also to make sure you're covering all the right things and not going off track!

I found pbl to be a really good way of learning.

Sorry for the rant! :smile:

Thanks for the info, it sounds like maybe it's not as bad as some people have been telling me. What course did you do?
Reply 882
Original post by vthom_45
Thanks for the info, it sounds like maybe it's not as bad as some people have been telling me. What course did you do?

bioveterinary science
Offer from Glasgow! Which now leaves me with the best kind of problem- where to choose... Glasgow 5yrs or Kings 4yrs???
Anybody got any opinions on either? I'm currently living in the South, so going to Scotland would be a nice change, and I see that they have an elective part of the course where you can go abroad.
But on the other hand Kings is a year shorter, and might be considered more illustrious?
My head hurts....... any thoughts appreciated!
Reply 884
Original post by Moose Biscuit
Offer from Glasgow! Which now leaves me with the best kind of problem- where to choose... Glasgow 5yrs or Kings 4yrs???
Anybody got any opinions on either? I'm currently living in the South, so going to Scotland would be a nice change, and I see that they have an elective part of the course where you can go abroad.
But on the other hand Kings is a year shorter, and might be considered more illustrious?
My head hurts....... any thoughts appreciated!

I would go for kings as the fees would be much cheaper (unless you are being offered more than the one years bursary at Glasgow) and the increased living costs would be partially offset by the maintenance loan.
Reply 885
anyone else going to liverpool?
Reply 886
Yes Hopefully dependant on getting the grades. Hope to see you there in September! Best of luck!:smile:
Reply 887
Unsuccessful from Liverpool :frown: not too surprised though! got to figure out a way of funding the Barts 5 year course, any ideas?!
Reply 888
Original post by cookla
Unsuccessful from Liverpool :frown: not too surprised though! got to figure out a way of funding the Barts 5 year course, any ideas?!

sorry to hear that :frown:
least you're in somewhere though! :smile:
I would go for kings as the fees would be much cheaper (unless you are being offered more than the one years bursary at Glasgow) and the increased living costs would be partially offset by the maintenance loan.

TBH I'm getting really confused when I try to understand all the financial implications!
Is it really loads cheaper to do the 4yr course? I think you get around £3.5k in years 2,3 & 4... Which is similar to getting all fees paid in year 5 on a 5yr course isn't it?
The increased living costs of london might be met by an increased maintenance loan, but this is still money I would have to pay back again, so it is a real cost.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 890
Guys, can I just ask since you are all applying for the grad entry. Is it possible to apply with a Biology degree? Or would it be better to have a different degree? I took Maths, Chemistry & Bio for A-Levels aswell!
Reply 891
Original post by nicsxox
Guys, can I just ask since you are all applying for the grad entry. Is it possible to apply with a Biology degree? Or would it be better to have a different degree? I took Maths, Chemistry & Bio for A-Levels aswell!

Email the uni's that you're going to apply to with your degree and the modules that you took in each year and they'll let you know :smile: That's what I did.
I reckon if should be okay...as long as you've got enough anatomy and biology (which you obviously have, duhh) then I think it should be okay, but double check.
Reply 892
Original post by Moose Biscuit
TBH I'm getting really confused when I try to understand all the financial implications!
Is it really loads cheaper to do the 4yr course? I think you get around £3.5k in years 2,3 & 4... Which is similar to getting all fees paid in year 5 on a 5yr course isn't it?
The increased living costs of london might be met by an increased maintenance loan, but this is still money I would have to pay back again, so it is a real cost.

Plus you get three years of bursary, not just one. Where did you get the info that the full fees are paid for final year of five year. I thought it was the same as the grad entry where fees will be paid to the current level and then you make up the difference?
Reply 893

Plus you get three years of bursary, not just one. Where did you get the info that the full fees are paid for final year of five year. I thought it was the same as the grad entry where fees will be paid to the current level and then you make up the difference?

I think the comparison is
Grad entry 1yr@£9000 + 3yr@5710= £26130
5yr= 4yr@9000 + 1yr@5710= £41710 (or £36000 if you get fees paid in full in final year?).
Plus three years of nhs bursary instead of one (not sure of those figures exactly but I think that's about £7000 more over the course? Although this is means tested so I'm just guessing).
Reply 894
I think the comparison is
Grad entry 1yr@£9000 + 3yr@5710= £26130
5yr= 4yr@9000 + 1yr@5710= £41710 (or £36000 if you get fees paid in full in final year?).
Plus three years of nhs bursary instead of one (not sure of those figures exactly but I think that's about £7000 more over the course? Although this is means tested so I'm just guessing).

what?

I'm pretty sure it's:

year 1: self fund £3375 (or around that figure) then student loan the rest to 9k
years 2-4: nhs £3375 then student loan rest to 9k

then maintenance loan all years, and nhs grant £1000 years 2-4 (non-means tested and non repayable) and nhs bursary (means tested, non-repayable)
Reply 895
Original post by elavender
what?

I'm pretty sure it's:

year 1: self fund £3375 (or around that figure) then student loan the rest to 9k
years 2-4: nhs £3375 then student loan rest to 9k

then maintenance loan all years, and nhs grant £1000 years 2-4 (non-means tested and non repayable) and nhs bursary (means tested, non-repayable)

Yep that's what I said (except the nhs grant I didn't know about that). First year we pay everything and then years 2-4 we pay the difference between current fees and the £9000.
Reply 896
Yep that's what I said (except the nhs grant I didn't know about that). First year we pay everything and then years 2-4 we pay the difference between current fees and the £9000.

ohhh, by "we pay" you mean student loan as well...you scared me for a minute, i thought you mean we pay the whole 9k and 5k-ish ourselves, as in directly from our own purse. bah!
Reply 897
Aberdeen waiting list :frown: ... Anyone had an offer from them that they won't be accepting?
i thought that if we already had done a degree we didnt get any financial support for the 5 year dental programmes as its a second undergrad course, so basically £9,000 per year for 5 years, and no bursary?? i really hope thats not true but its what i thought they said at the kings open day?
Reply 899
Original post by henleydental
i thought that if we already had done a degree we didnt get any financial support for the 5 year dental programmes as its a second undergrad course, so basically £9,000 per year for 5 years, and no bursary?? i really hope thats not true but its what i thought they said at the kings open day?

yeahh you don't get any financial support if you're a graduate doing the normal undergraduate 5 year course, but you do it you're on the 4 year graduate course.

Quick Reply

Latest