Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting onto a masters in Speech and Language Therapy as a modern languages graduate

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I thought about posting it in the 2012 entry for Speech and Language therapy but decided not to as I haven't yet applied.

I'm in my final year of a Spanish and German degree and have become really interested in doing a Msc in Speech and Language therapy but I'm really worried about not having the maths and science knowledge to get onto the course. The modules I chose during my degree are all linguistics based as opposed to translation/interpreting so hopefully that will make a difference and I have come up with a plan which will hopefully prepare me to get onto the Msc.

Basically, I want to teach English abroad for a while as my foreign languages are still important to me and I want to travel, hopefully this will also give me more insight into the English language as well. Then when I come back I want to get a job as a teaching assistant in a school for children with special needs and for a few years before applying for a postgrad course the plan is to do as much volunteering as I can and improve my science through GCSE/A-level evening classes.

Is there a better way to improve my science, like an access course and am I just better off applying to do another undergrad course rather than try and get onto a postgrad one? Sorry for the long post x
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    Hi everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I thought about posting it in the 2012 entry for Speech and Language therapy but decided not to as I haven't yet applied.

I'm in my final year of a Spanish and German degree and have become really interested in doing a Msc in Speech and Language therapy but I'm really worried about not having the maths and science knowledge to get onto the course. The modules I chose during my degree are all linguistics based as opposed to translation/interpreting so hopefully that will make a difference and I have come up with a plan which will hopefully prepare me to get onto the Msc.

Basically, I want to teach English abroad for a while as my foreign languages are still important to me and I want to travel, hopefully this will also give me more insight into the English language as well. Then when I come back I want to get a job as a teaching assistant in a school for children with special needs and for a few years before applying for a postgrad course the plan is to do as much volunteering as I can and improve my science through GCSE/A-level evening classes.

Is there a better way to improve my science, like an access course and am I just better off applying to do another undergrad course rather than try and get onto a postgrad one? Sorry for the long post x
    Hi Jess.

I'm starting SLT as an undergrad in September but thought I'd throw my two cents in. Sounds like you've got a really solid plan which is great. All I know about the postgrad course is just how competitive it is... your degree would be fine I think but the most important part of your application is your experience, what you have learnt from your experience teaching languages and your experience in a special needs school is especially relevant. You might also want to look at volunteering with different client groups such as at the Stroke Association, in a clinical setting and in a community setting such as a Sure Start nursery etc.

I'm not sure about the science requirements for postgrad but only some of the undergrad degrees require you to have sciences, and for some psychology is accepted as a science. So I haven't done biology or maths a-level yet still got 5 offers

Sorry I can't be more specific, but good luck for the future

Sal
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)

Hi Jess, I'm on the SLT postgrad course at the minute and there are no specific science requirements. All you need is a related degree and Linguistics is absolutely fine. I'd recommend focussing your energy on getting as much experience as you can, try to shadow a speech therapist and if you manage to get a job in a special needs school that will be amazing experience.

Your experience is going to count 100x more than your science knowledge! I would actually say don't bother doing evening classes in science unless you're interested for other reasons, that's not the kind of thing that will get you onto the course. You mentioned Maths too?? You do not need maths... I haven't done maths since GCSE and I'm terrible at it! When you're teaching English abroad, don't look for "insights into the English language"... look at the kids, how they are developing and how they pick up the language. That's the kind of thing you want to focus on.

It's really not about the academics, well obviously you need good grades but what they will really look at is you as a person, your understanding of the profession, your outlook and your experiences. If you have spare time spend it doing some volunteering with people with disabilities or reading about speech therapy. Good luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.