The Student Room Group

Top maths unis - COWI

Given Cambridge and Warwick are the only two universities that consistently ask for STEP or AEA in their offers for maths, with Cambridge's offer higher (and to my knowledge Imperial occasionally do but Oxford never), would it be correct to conclude the strongest candidates end up at Cambridge, then Warwick, Imperial and lastly Oxford?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. For that to be true, everyone would have to first apply to Cambridge, then to Warwick if they got rejected, then to Imperial if they got rejected from both and lastly to Oxford :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by smileatyourself
Given Cambridge and Warwick are the only two universities that consistently ask for STEP or AEA in their offers for maths, with Cambridge's offer higher (and to my knowledge Imperial occasionally do but Oxford never), would it be correct to conclude the strongest candidates end up at Cambridge, then Warwick, Imperial and lastly Oxford?

No, that doesn't make any sense. The reason that Oxford don't ask for STEP or AEA is that they use a maths aptitude test (MAT) and interviews to select their candidates. After these stages, they have decided which candidates they want and so they give them a fairly straightforward offer. As a result, almost everyone who gets an offer achieves it, so they give out pretty much one offer for every place. Conversely, Cambridge and Warwick use STEP as part of the process for deciding who is good enough to go to their uni, they just do it after they have handed offers out. I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but I've heard that Cambridge hand out roughly 2 offers for every place, and then the STEP forms the final hurdle that only half the students get over. Essentially, Oxford do the test before handing out offers, Cambridge and Warwick do it afterwards. They are just different processes and don't effect the calibre of students that each university attracts.

edit: To be honest, I'm really confused why this has been given negative rating. I was just trying to help. Could someone give me some insight into what's wrong with this post...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ROBBY7896
No, that doesn't make any sense. The reason that Oxford don't ask for STEP or AEA is that they use a maths aptitude test (MAT) and interviews to select their candidates. After these stages, they have decided which candidates they want and so they give them a fairly straightforward offer. As a result, almost everyone who gets an offer achieves it, so they give out pretty much one offer for every place. Conversely, Cambridge and Warwick use STEP as part of the process for deciding who is good enough to go to their uni, they just do it after they have handed offers out. I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but I've heard that Cambridge hand out roughly 2 offers for every place, and then the STEP forms the final hurdle that only half the students get over. Essentially, Oxford do the test before handing out offers, Cambridge and Warwick do it afterwards. They are just different processes and don't effect the calibre of students that each university attracts.

Why on earth are people negging this? It's the truth, pure and simply how the procedure differs between the Universities :lol:

Anyone who negged this is a moron.
From personal experience, actually UWE is the top uni for maths. This year we nailed differentiation and next year we're going on to integration... BY PARTS!
Reply 5
Original post by Noble.
Why on earth are people negging this? It's the truth, pure and simply how the procedure differs between the Universities :lol:

Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm fairly new to the site, but it seems strange that people give negative rating to a post that I believe is a genuine and correct piece of advice and don't explain why...
Reply 6
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm fairly new to the site, but it seems strange that people give negative rating to a post that I believe is a genuine and correct piece of advice and don't explain why...

I wouldn't worry about it, as I said, anyone who negged that is a moron. You didn't even express an opinion, you just explained how the procedure differed and, as far as I know, hit the nail on the head. The reason no-one has quoted you and explained what they think is wrong with it is because they've negged you for their own stupid reasons and saying anything would make them look hilariously stupid.
Original post by Ilyas
correction,

COWIB. :h:

EDIT: three bristols haters; 5 is a better number, no?

I think the B would be Bath before it's ever Bristol, but even then it probably shouldn't be there at all. Doesn't Bristol still not require an A*? I'm sure it's a great uni for maths (I was considering applying last year) but I don't think it's in the same caliber at COWI (despite the numerous poor things I hear about Imperial Maths - it still seems to be up there).

Some people just don't like it if they aren't right or just out of bitterness sometimes. I got like five negs on a post for saying I'd probably be insuring Warwick in a Warwick thread.
Reply 9
Original post by hassi94
I think the B would be Bath before it's ever Bristol, but even then it probably shouldn't be there at all. Doesn't Bristol still not require an A*? I'm sure it's a great uni for maths (I was considering applying last year) but I don't think it's in the same caliber at COWI (despite the numerous poor things I hear about Imperial Maths - it still seems to be up there).

I've always thought Imperial has been on par with Bristol and Bath. It's just the high offer and possible STEP offer they give out that makes others think otherwise. In my opinion, they only do it because they receive a large number of applicants, so can afford to do so, but I doubt the level of mathematics is any better than Bath/Bristol.
Original post by hassi94

nope, the B is definitely for bristol on this forum. I think the COWI(B) trend is for research quality. As you say, imperial is still up there despite the -ve comments from students regarding the maths department.
Reply 11
Original post by Brit_Miller
From personal experience, actually UWE is the top uni for maths. This year we nailed differentiation and next year we're going on to integration... BY PARTS!

I'm not paying £9k per year to do Core 2 again. UWE?????? = removed from UCAS form.
Original post by Zuzuzu
I'm not paying £9k per year to do Core 2 again. UWE?????? = removed from UCAS form.

Haha, I was joking, dude. Has actually been a good course.
Reply 13
Original post by Noble.

5 Pos reps for the OP who said that Warwick was better than Oxford and 5 Neg reps for the person who explained that the universities have different selection procedures, and that Warwick was not necessarily better than Oxford.
Which all adds up perfectly well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Blutooth
5 Pos reps for the OP who said that Warwick was better than Oxford and 5 Neg reps for the person who explained that the universities have different selection procedures, and that Warwick was not necessarily better than Oxford.
Which all adds up perfectly well.

I know, clearly a lot of stupid people around on the maths forum.
oxford- cambridge.

probably the cambridge part III is better than oxford part C, at least it is more selective...
Original post by Ilyas
nope, the B is definitely for bristol on this forum. I think the COWI(B) trend is for research quality. As you say, imperial is still up there despite the -ve comments from students regarding the maths department.

I know most people have B as bristol (for the few people that say COWIB). Maybe research quality, but I wouldn't see why because that's irrelevant for most people here.
Original post by hassi94
Some people just don't like it if they aren't right or just out of bitterness sometimes. I got like five negs on a post for saying I'd probably be insuring Warwick in a Warwick thread.

Really? :eek:

I wouldn't neg that, it seems like a good idea :wink:
Original post by jameswhughes
Really? :eek:

I wouldn't neg that, it seems like a good idea :wink:

I think they didn't like me not firming it. -_- I actually changed my offer to Maths & Physics straight after getting my camb offer (specifically so I had it as an insurance option) - with the intention of changing back as soon as possible if I end up there :smile: How is it going anyway? Haven't seen you on the forums in a while :smile:
Original post by hassi94
I think they didn't like me not firming it. -_- I actually changed my offer to Maths & Physics straight after getting my camb offer (specifically so I had it as an insurance option) - with the intention of changing back as soon as possible if I end up there :smile: How is it going anyway? Haven't seen you on the forums in a while :smile:

if i was a cambridge rejected i would have negged you as well. i think it's quite a normal reaction if you go to the warwick thread to show off.

Quick Reply

Latest