Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can people with crap grades /low G.C.S.E. go to Uni?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can people say with 6 G.C.S.E. but grades that ranged from say d to f in subjects such as maths, science and that, can a person with such grades get into Uni or does getting into uni always depend on what grades you have? thanks
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be very difficult to get into any uni at all with those grades! But yes, it is quite possible.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, grades aren't entirely necessary for Uni (they certainly help though) I know a good few people who had the grades doctors but crashed and burned because suddenly, they had to cope with situations where their books and grades couldn't help them.

And I left school with no Highers, just Standards grades and I'm going to uni this year so yes, it is possible.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    :erm: Mate, if a person can't handle GCSE material, how on Earth would they cope with University?! People with all A*'s struggle!
    Depends on which course though.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope not.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does largely depend on grades. But if you really want to go to uni and you're willing to work hard enough to get there then yes, you can get in.
    I'm not really sure what someone with those grades would do after GCSE if they wanted to get into uni. I mean, can you do A Levels with those grades?
    There's always the option of retaking some GCSEs such as english and maths to improve your chances.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    you would need A-Level grades to get on a university course and as long as they were good a lot of universities would accept them,a lot wouldn't though because of the poor GCSE grades.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StartSomething)
    It does largely depend on grades. But if you really want to go to uni and you're willing to work hard enough to get there then yes, you can get in.
    I'm not really sure what someone with those grades would do after GCSE if they wanted to get into uni. I mean, can you do A Levels with those grades?
    There's always the option of retaking some GCSEs such as english and maths to improve your chances.

I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most unis don't care I think as long as they're not terrible. Hopefully anyone who does get an E or an F does consider doing resits and doing better the next time round
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given that most sixth forms want 5 A*-C grades, I'd probably say not, far more important than GCSEs for getting into uni. But I've known people who've gotten Ds and Es in Maths to get onto a Business/Economics degree somehow (they generally turn out to do crap & have to remedial Maths classes). But ti could be possible.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt you'd be able to do A levels or even a Level 3 BTEC with those grades. You need to do one of the two to go to University.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oasis')
    [/U][/B]

I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?
    You might be able to retake it at your school. Also local colleges. Or perhaps another school if you don't want to retake it at your current one.

and yes, if you get a higher GCSE grade at college.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Technically as long as you have A levels at the required grades you don't need GCSEs at all for many degree courses in the UK.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oasis')
    [/U][/B]I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?
    If you resat a GCSE in college and improved your grade, then yes that would become your GCSE grade instead of the one you got in Year 11. You could check with the colleges you apply to whether you can resit GCSEs there, but I have mates resitting GCSE Maths, English etc.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    Technically as long as you have A levels at the required grades you don't need GCSEs at all for many degree courses in the UK.
    But you access A levels with your GCSE's.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnoob)
    But you access A levels with your GCSE's.
    Not if you do them through ICS or the National Extension College, there are no entry requirements to do A levels through these distance learning providers. The real question is whether somebody who got mostly Fs in their GCSEs would be capable of achieving the required grades at A level either.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to override them with an Access Course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StartSomething)
    You might be able to retake it at your school. Also local colleges. Or perhaps another school if you don't want to retake it at your current one.

and yes, if you get a higher GCSE grade at college.
    But I can't go back to school at 20 can I? I guess it'd have to be college.
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    If you resat a GCSE in college and improved your grade, then yes that would become your GCSE grade instead of the one you got in Year 11. You could check with the colleges you apply to whether you can resit GCSEs there, but I have mates resitting GCSE Maths, English etc.
    How long do the courses often last, also are there any age restrictions that your aware of? thank you so much
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends, if youre alevel grades are excellent then unis will respect the improvement accordingly but if youve failed maths and english then your chances of getting into any good uni are more or less gone..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to college first then work your way up to University
Updated: January 30, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.