The Student Room Group

Scotland Yard Racism...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by AP1989
I think I am in a better position to explain what I meant.

I was explaining why, for the last time, discrimination against blacks is significantly worse than discrimination against other minorities. Other groups have been made into slaves and suffered from discriminatory laws, but not on the same scale as that of black people. Perhaps I should've said 'on the same scale', but I figured that much was obvious.

OK, so because it hasn't been done 'on the same scale', you are trying to justify that because it was significantly worse, discrimination should be overlooked except when is against black people.

Completely missing the point that by and large, as regards slavery, the 'discrimination' was started by one tribe of black africans against another tribe of black africans, and that wasn't discrimination, but it was when they were sold to whites.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by AP1989
I think I am in a better position to explain what I meant.

I was explaining why, for the last time, discrimination against blacks is significantly worse than discrimination against other minorities. Other groups have been made into slaves and suffered from discriminatory laws, but not on the same scale as that of black people. Perhaps I should've said 'on the same scale', but I figured that much was obvious.

Disabled people? They were just left out to die for most of the past 7,000 years of recorded history.
Reply 222
Original post by Zelex
Ok, I understand.

On a whole, I also agree to an extent.

EDIT: TBH, it's very difficult to compare the two, for example the trans-atlantic slave trade has had detrimental effects on society we have today. It is a very complex is issue.

Indeed. As has serfdom in the middle ages, the arab slave trade or the barbary slave trade.
Reply 223
Original post by marcusfox
OK, so because it hasn't been done 'on the same scale', you are trying to justify that because it was significantly worse, discrimination should be overlooked except when is against black people.

Completely missing the point that by and large, as regards slavery, the 'discrimination' was started by one tribe of black africans against another tribe of black africans, and that wasn't discrimination, but it was when they were sold to whites.

Yeah, I really said that. Your exaggeration of everything is becoming quite annoying. Go set up your lobbying group for ginger rights. I'm done.

Forget the history, look at today! Look at why this thread was started - have you heard of the police abusing ginger people?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 224
Original post by AP1989
Yeah, I really said that. Your exaggeration of everything is becoming quite annoying. Go set up your lobbying group for ginger rights. I'm done.

How about disabled rights?

I presume you've checked out serfdom by now. Food for thought eh?

Those 'whites' (who incidentally saw themselves as 'superior') should have done the 'superior' thing and declined to take part in such barbaric acts against humanity.

Instead, no, the ancestors of the Isles chose to take part in primitive practices and barbarism.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 226
Original post by Bonged.

I'll have a look when I can be bothered/have a chance.

You seem very thrilled to mention non-black slavery when my point was that the reason we have significantly more resources devoted towards tackling racism as opposed to other forms of discrimination is because it is more of a problem. Your answer to that is that there were once non-black slaves as well. I mentioned slavery as merely one of the reason why we have racism, yet you seem to be obsessed with it.
Reply 227
Original post by AP1989

You didn't mention any other group against which discrimination was unacceptable except black people.

You said

discrimination against blacks is significantly worse than discrimination against other minorities

and

Have any of those groups faced the discrimination that black people have throughout history? Were any of those groups ever made into slaves? Were any of them repressed via discriminatory laws?

If you don't have a problem with discrimination laws applying to other minorities, why did you jump in to object to my statement that they should?

Even if those minorities happen to be ginger people, fat people, disabled people, skinny people, ugly people, short people, mentally ill people.

Because the only discrimination you believe in or care about is that against black people, due to slavery. You didn't even object on the basis that discrimination laws should also apply to ethnic groupings other than black people.

Even if you don't say it directly, the only conclusion it is possible to draw from using those quoted statements as a reply is that you disagree that discrimination laws should apply to other minorities, only where white people are discriminatory to black people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bonged.

I'm confused. Are we really comparing feudalism to the transatlantic slave trade now?
Reply 229
You didn't mention any other group against which discrimination was unacceptable except black people.

You said

and

If you don't have a problem with discrimination laws applying to other minorities, why did you jump in to object to my statement that they should?

Even if those minorities happen to be ginger people, fat people, disabled people, skinny people, ugly people, short people, mentally ill people.

Because the only discrimination you believe in or care about is that against black people, due to slavery. You didn't even object on the basis that discrimination laws should also apply to ethnic groupings other than black people.

Even if you don't say it directly, the only conclusion it is possible to draw from using those quoted statements as a reply is that you disagree that discrimination laws should apply to other minorities, only where white people are discriminatory to black people.

For the very last time, my point was that you cannot compare the discrimination seen against those minorities to that of racism. It's like going to a holocaust memorial day and saying 'well what about that white kid who was beaten to death by an Asian gang'.

I am telling you what I meant and it's not what you're saying.
Reply 230
Original post by Captain Haddock
I'm confused. Are we really comparing feudalism to the transatlantic slave trade now?

Problem? Does it matter that the serf's oppressors had the same skin colour?
Reply 231
Original post by AP1989
I'll have a look when I can be bothered/have a chance.

You seem very thrilled to mention non-black slavery when my point was that the reason we have significantly more resources devoted towards tackling racism as opposed to other forms of discrimination is because it is more of a problem. Your answer to that is that there were once non-black slaves as well. I mentioned slavery as merely one of the reason why we have racism, yet you seem to be obsessed with it.

haha, it might be a bit of a challenge to your world view. be careful!

Conversely you seem "thrilled" to mention the transatlantic slave trade. You inform us that "it was worse" than anything else, done to any group, throughout history. Arguable.

It is your whole premise of why black people need more mollycoddling than other groups, correct?
Reply 232
Original post by TheGreatReformer
Those 'whites' (who incidentally saw themselves as 'superior') should have done the 'superior' thing and declined to take part in such barbaric acts against humanity.

Yes they should.

But it doesn't mean that slavery is a purely white oppressing black issue that everyone is trying to make out that it is.

It certainly isn't a justification for denying or minimising discrimination against any other group today because somehow black people were more oppressed hundreds of years ago.
Reply 233
Original post by AP1989
For the very last time, my point was that you cannot compare the discrimination seen against those minorities to that of racism. It's like going to a holocaust memorial day and saying 'well what about that white kid who was beaten to death by an Asian gang'.

*buzz* wrong!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/most-race-attack-victims-are-white-1069502.html

In 1999. Things will be worse now.
Original post by najinaji

Hahaha i love Chris Rock.
Reply 235
Original post by Bonged.
haha, it might be a bit of a challenge to your world view. be careful!

Conversely you seem "thrilled" to mention the transatlantic slave trade. You inform us that "it was worse" than anything else, done to any group, throughout history. Arguable.

It is your whole premise of why black people need more mollycoddling than other groups, correct?

The fact that you have this attitude means we really can't discuss this.

They need a lot of help addressing the obvious socio-economic issues which seem to plague their communities. It is unacceptable that they perform so poorly in school compared to other races along with the high levels of crime. They often report on feeling discriminated against and out of touch with the police force etc. Therefore this needs to be addressed first.
Reply 236
Original post by AP1989

No, it would be more accurate to describe the example as though we were discussing a white person who was complaining about how he was beaten up and robbed by a black person.

And then you coming along and saying it's somehow not equally as bad as a white person beating up and robbing a black person because of crimes committed hundreds of years ago.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 237
Original post by AP1989
The fact that you have this attitude means we really can't discuss this.

They need a lot of help addressing the obvious socio-economic issues which seem to plague their communities. It is unacceptable that they perform so poorly in school compared to other races along with the high levels of crime. They often report on feeling discriminated against and out of touch with the police force etc. Therefore this needs to be addressed first.

Because I have a different opinion to you we must shut down debate? Wow , that's cutting edge.

Before what? or who?
Reply 238

So discrimination is purely race attacks, is it?
Original post by Bonged.
Problem? Does it matter that the serf's oppressors had the same skin colour?

Well, actually yes there are lots of problems with that comparison and honestly I don't even know where to start but suffice it to say yes the race aspect does matter.

Quick Reply