The Student Room Group

Can you become rich with a Degree?

Can you become rich by going to university? They always say graduates are better off than most people but I don't think many of the top 5% of earners have ever gone to university.
By rich I mean £500k+ per year.

If so, with what courses?
Reply 1
Potentially..

MBA?

Depends entirely what you do with your degree. You could use the knowledge to form a business with an Annual turnover of £5 mil+ just depends on how you apply yourself. Of course you will rarely if ever earn that much working for a company though.

For most people though? No.
Reply 2
banker then yer loaded
Petroleum Engineering.
Reply 4
Rich in character :smile:
Original post by Miryo
Can you become rich by going to university? They always say graduates are better off than most people but I don't think many of the top 5% of earners have ever gone to university.

Depends on what you studied and/or what you do with your degree. The degree can only get you so far/teach you skills but it's how you apply those skills to whatever career path you choose. Likewise you can achieve massive riches without a degree and there are numerous examples out there which prove that.
Something that allows you to find and extract oil....
the oil related degrees can pay very well. I know someone who earns well over half a million per year by working with oil in saudi, I'm not sure if he has a degree or not but he must have some sort of qualification
Reply 8
Steve mogford, ceo united utilities. 500k. BSc maths and astrophysics.

Generally they make less noise about how much they're being paid than your 'started out with a market stall and dragged meself to the top' entrepreneurs.
Reply 9
Being smart (not just academically) and working your way up to CEO. Possible with any degree.
Reply 10
Original post by BackDoorEntry
the oil related degrees can pay very well. I know someone who earns well over half a million per year by working with oil in saudi, I'm not sure if he has a degree or not but he must have some sort of qualification

i know someone with the exact same job. infact he's there now, doing a years work. it's something i'm interested in, but i have no idea what degree you need?
You can become rich with a degree, without a degree, with a qualification in unicorn riding.. etc.

In other words, being rich isn't as clear cut as degree v no degree. It depends on the individual, circumstances, a fair amount of luck and usually a lot of hard work.

A lot of people will list people who have zero qualifications but are rich, so I won't bother.
Reply 12
In before Alan Sugar/Richard Branson are mentioned.
Reply 13
Not trying to dash your hopes, but when you go to University, there isn't a 100% guarantee that you will end up getting rich, or even substantially wealthy, or even the sort of job you were hoping for at any point after university, especially in the current economic climate, although it will probably increase your chances. But there are people who dropped out of school at 16, yet have built themselves up to become multi-millionaires, for example from being an entrepreneur. This question does not have a clear, straight answer, as becoming rich depends on a variety of factors.
Reply 14
Original post by Miryo

Forbes says that, in America, 73% of the top 1% have degrees, with 49% having post-grad degrees. Also worth noting that in the USA around 30% of the population go to university.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnovack/2011/12/05/how-to-get-to-the-top-1-earn-a-graduate-degree/?view=pc

Also, the NYT basically say that the top 1% of earners study things related to biology or economics.Here is the slightly more comprehensive version:
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/what-the-top-1-of-earners-majored-in/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miryo

Top level lawyers and doctors will be amongst some of the UK's highest earners and will almost all have come via a degree route. An awful lot of directors and CEOs are ACA/CA and of those a pretty big proportion will have come via a graduate route. Outside of the professions a degree is probably less of a necessity - but regardless I think it's safe to say that they'll be pretty common among the top 5%.

Also worth pointing out that most of those who are at the top of their salary curve will naturally be those who had the option to go to university 30-40 years ago, and the number of those who don't have degrees will therefore be lower than the number of those who are in the same position 30-40 years from now.
Reply 16
You realise your £500k+ definition of rich will be top 0.2th percentile or so of the entire population.
Top 5% is around £100k.
You don't automatically become rich from doing a degree - In terms of completing a degree, the opposite is true. It depends on what degree you get and what you do with it. Graduate starting salaries are higher than non graduate salaries, however, so if you don't get rich, you'll probably end up better off in the long run.
You can have all the education in the world and still be working in an unskilled job for the rest of your working life. It's about what you do with it that is important. Risk taking, initiative, confidence, reliability are all important if you want to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending