Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University of York - Sales & Trading chances..(with experience)

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My long-term aim is to have a career within Sales or Salestrading, though more the former than the latter.

I have just turned 20 and shall hopefully be attending University of York this September to read Economics.

I previously did a year of Law at another Russell Group university - The course was not for me at all, and hence I left with a Certificate of Higher Education. The course was a bore and something I wasn't passionate about.

After leaving in June 2011, I found a middle-office trade support role in a IB where I have been based since September 2011. I saw this opportunity quite invaluable and an asset to my CV, and ofcourse I've learnt the front to back aspects of an IB. Further I have networked quite well with traders, sales, fo, and various other MO/BO teams. It really has been an asset in terms of future career aspirations and for CV purposes.

Though I've realised the IB I'm at recruit from specific universities for FO grad programmes (IBD, S&T, Research). The IB I'm at focus heavily and market to students/graduates from: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Bristol. Though I've analysed that intakes for class 2010 & 2011 mainly compromised of LSE/UCL graduates with Imperial and Oxbridge being a minority. Other graduates included being from universities such as: Durham, York, Leeds, Edinburgh, St Andrews for example.

I'm hopefully going to try speak to graduate recruitment at my current IB to see if they can hook me up with even just a 1st Year Spring Internship in S&T when I start university, but we shall see what happens.

My real question here is how other investment banks would view my application? Do you think I would stand a good chance? I know in an average S&T intake about 60-70% would be the target universities I stated above, and then the rest would be considered tbh.

I have a host of experience in other financial services, accountancy, voluntary work etc also. The bank also paid for some CISI - Introduction to Securities & Investment exam for me, hence I have knowledge of financial products: equities, futures, options, swaps, etfs, fx, otc products, fsa knowledge etc..

I'm just quite sceptical at the moment and think I'm over exaggerating to be honest..

Much advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Omg i"m going to ucllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPodTunes)
    Hi,

My long-term aim is to have a career within Sales or Salestrading, though more the former than the latter.

I have just turned 20 and shall hopefully be attending University of York this September to read Economics.

I previously did a year of Law at another Russell Group university - The course was not for me at all, and hence I left with a Certificate of Higher Education. The course was a bore and something I wasn't passionate about.

After leaving in June 2011, I found a middle-office trade support role in a IB where I have been based since September 2011. I saw this opportunity quite invaluable and an asset to my CV, and ofcourse I've learnt the front to back aspects of an IB. Further I have networked quite well with traders, sales, fo, and various other MO/BO teams. It really has been an asset in terms of future career aspirations and for CV purposes.

Though I've realised the IB I'm at recruit from specific universities for FO grad programmes (IBD, S&T, Research). The IB I'm at focus heavily and market to students/graduates from: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Bristol. Though I've analysed that intakes for class 2010 & 2011 mainly compromised of LSE/UCL graduates with Imperial and Oxbridge being a minority. Other graduates included being from universities such as: Durham, York, Leeds, Edinburgh, St Andrews for example.

I'm hopefully going to try speak to graduate recruitment at my current IB to see if they can hook me up with even just a 1st Year Spring Internship in S&T when I start university, but we shall see what happens.

My real question here is how other investment banks would view my application? Do you think I would stand a good chance? I know in an average S&T intake about 60-70% would be the target universities I stated above, and then the rest would be considered tbh.

I have a host of experience in other financial services, accountancy, voluntary work etc also. The bank also paid for some CISI - Introduction to Securities & Investment exam for me, hence I have knowledge of financial products: equities, futures, options, swaps, etfs, fx, otc products, fsa knowledge etc..

I'm just quite sceptical at the moment and think I'm over exaggerating to be honest..

Thanks
    I think that you will have a good chance because of your experience but why did you leave the bank that you got CISI at? And How did you get the place at the bank because you didn't have a full degree?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    I think that you will have a good chance because of your experience but why did you leave the bank that you got CISI at? And How did you get the place at the bank because you didn't have a full degree?

Thanks,

Basically I'm at a regional operations office of an IB working in an MO team. I deal with FO, traders, sales, other MO teams etc in London each day! I didn't achieve the CISI qual..but rather I took the basic introduction exam:

http://www.siservices.co.uk/brochure...0intro%20x.pdf

It was just the exam and not the second project part..

Other than this I know MO boys who have been trying for 3-5years to try break into S&T but have had no luck.

The best way is usually through a grad scheme..and all that BS about working your way up from MO to FO is all BS...it's very rare and only certain people do it who have established very good terms with contacts in FO. Otherwise everyone else is in the same boat in MO.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,

Basically I'm at a regional operations office of an IB working in an MO team. I deal with FO, traders, sales, other MO teams etc in London each day! I didn't achieve the CISI qual..but rather I took the basic introduction exam:

http://www.siservices.co.uk/brochure...0intro%20x.pdf

It was just the exam and not the second project part..

Other than this I know MO boys who have been trying for 3-5years to try break into S&T but have had no luck.

The best way is usually through a grad scheme..and all that BS about working your way up from MO to FO is all BS...it's very rare and only certain people do it who have established very good terms with contacts in FO. Otherwise everyone else is in the same boat in MO.
    How long did you send at the bank and how did you get to work their when you hadn't finished your degree?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to pay £9,000 tuition fees then I wouldn't bother going to York.

It's not a great University at all for S&T. Not to mention it is completely the wrong side of the country.

Why not go for CASS? It's on the same par as York and is in the perfect location. I would say pick a doss course at UCL, but you want to go into S&T not M&A and therefore you can't just "wing it" with a **** degree like Geography etc.

20-21 certainly isn't too old for Uni, however bare in mind that the debt levels now are horrific, and therefore entering University later isn't as wise a choice as it once was.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    How long did you send at the bank and how did you get to work their when you hadn't finished your degree?

I left university in June 2011 after I began in Sept 2010. Started at the bank in Sept 2011..I'll be there till 31st Aug so about a year. And I guess to your question sometimes it's in your destiny for another door to open..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fail@maths)
    If you are going to pay £9,000 tuition fees then I wouldn't bother going to York.

It's not a great University at all for S&T. Not to mention it is completely the wrong side of the country.

Why not go for CASS? It's on the same par as York and is in the perfect location. I would say pick a doss course at UCL, but you want to go into S&T not M&A and therefore you can't just "wing it" with a **** degree like Geography etc.

20-21 certainly isn't too old for Uni, however bare in mind that the debt levels now are horrific, and therefore entering University later isn't as wise a choice as it once was.
    Ill end up paying about £17k more under the new system..though you only repay on anything oveer £21k at about 9percent..so it's not much of a big deal really!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ill end up paying about £17k more under the new system..though you only repay on anything oveer £21k at about 9percent..so it's not much of a big deal really!
    Too right, the new system isn't even that bad! If you don't feel it's worth it, then don't go to uni. Simple. Just try and work your way up without one and see how far you get; answer: not very.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    I take it you have attended York and know this from experience?

I am currently at York and so far this year in the 20 weeks we have been at uni we have had 12 careers fairs, Your employability plan on the VLE is there for you to detail what you want to do in Spring term and you meet with your tutor at the end of Spring term to discuss it. They will be able to connect you to the relevent people. Some people like to run York down on here but the university does take your employability seriously. There are also a range of societies including bright future and bright network to link you to the right people although for the latter network you need a min of AAB at A level to be accepted.
    Thanks for that ...have you had any luck yourself gaining spring weeks or internships?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a first year there is relatively little out there tbh, there is a huge emphasis at york on gearing up for the second year internships, well at least in my department there is. I have so far applied to a few places but admittedly did it rather late because I was in and out of hospital during Winter term. That said I was short listed for Goldman Sachs but didn't get it. I am currently part of a group of people in contact with a range of companies rallying support to get them to events. We constantly have the big 4 accountancy firms; Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young and PwC. I have a huge list of places still to apply and found out yesterday I have gotten through to the next stage with HSBC and PwC but because of the olympics I want to avoid the crowds in London.

Make no mistake thought the onus is on you to get yourself sorted, they will help but it is up to you to know what you want to do. The careers service can be pathetic depending on who you get an appointment with. I am 20 too so you arent too old for this. The first year is about making mistakes and learning that is why it doesnt count towards your degree. The employability plan is a good space to just write everything down that you have done or want to do and if your tutor is anything like mine they will not leave you alone until you talk to them about it. One of my tutors likes you to sit down and have a cherry with him or an espresso depending on how much cherry he has had to discuss anything about the course and life in general. That man has wasted many of my afternoons as in small groups we put the world to rights
    The Big4 bombard every top 30 University in the country and hold multiple events a year.

You have to bare in mind they hire around 4000~ accountants year-over-year, and therefore they need a mass market scatter gun campeign to make sure they fill all these positions.

S&T is a completely different animal. Each BB IB has around 20-25 in S&T (possibly less these days), and around 50-70% of that will be through one of the Internship programmes. Competition from abroad is huge, and in general in a different stratosphere compared to Big4.

I'm not saying it can't be done from York, but I am saying you would have a much easier time networking if you are based in and around London. It just makes life so much easier. Also York really isn't really on any banks target list for FO afaik. It may have been in the glory days of 2006-2007, but I highly doubt now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Have I missed something? You are working in an IB environment currently and going to speak to graduate recruitment about extra-work experience? Then why not ask them if you have a chance, instead of asking students?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Have I missed something? You are working in an IB environment currently and going to speak to graduate recruitment about extra-work experience? Then why not ask them if you have a chance, instead of asking students?
    First thing Monday morning will do if they can sort me out with anything once I'm at university..but still they can easily turn around and say no.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a first year there is relatively little out there tbh, there is a huge emphasis at york on gearing up for the second year internships, well at least in my department there is. I have so far applied to a few places but admittedly did it rather late because I was in and out of hospital during Winter term. That said I was short listed for Goldman Sachs but didn't get it. I am currently part of a group of people in contact with a range of companies rallying support to get them to events. We constantly have the big 4 accountancy firms; Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young and PwC. I have a huge list of places still to apply and found out yesterday I have gotten through to the next stage with HSBC and PwC but because of the olympics I want to avoid the crowds in London.

Make no mistake thought the onus is on you to get yourself sorted, they will help but it is up to you to know what you want to do. The careers service can be pathetic depending on who you get an appointment with. I am 20 too so you arent too old for this. The first year is about making mistakes and learning that is why it doesnt count towards your degree. The employability plan is a good space to just write everything down that you have done or want to do and if your tutor is anything like mine they will not leave you alone until you talk to them about it. One of my tutors likes you to sit down and have a cherry with him or an espresso depending on how much cherry he has had to discuss anything about the course and life in general. That man has wasted many of my afternoons as in small groups we put the world to rights
    Haha I see, which banks come to the campus? I definitely know RBS GBM do as we have York graduates on our Markets and IBD programme.

I'll probably be looking to apply to first-year spring internships hopefully ..and my 2nd year internships (assuming I gain a 2:1 atleast) will be to BBs, boutiques, asset-management firms, wealth management firms, and consultancy firms.

All I need to do is basically do some Eco background reading from A-level and some prep for Uni! Also have offers from Bham, QMUL..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha I see, which banks come to the campus? I definitely know RBS GBM do as we have York graduates on our Markets and IBD programme.

I'll probably be looking to apply to first-year spring internships hopefully ..and my 2nd year internships (assuming I gain a 2:1 atleast) will be to BBs, boutiques, asset-management firms, wealth management firms, and consultancy firms.

All I need to do is basically do some Eco background reading from A-level and some prep for Uni! Also have offers from Bham, QMUL..
    How does qmul rate against york?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    How does qmul rate against york?
    I would say York is slightly better. I've only ever seen one IBD Grad at GBM from QMUL whilst with York it was a few in IBD & S&T..I've even seen S&T grads from Leeds, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Exeter..

Though a lot of the old school S&T boys don't even have A-levels. A lot of them just GCSEs and started off as clerks 20-30years ago but I've realised the industry has changed greatly with more and more people attaining degrees etc for the same roles.

Like I said about MO boys..they have have As and Bs at A-level and degree from mediocre universities with 3-5years experience and still can't break into S&T when there traders and sales people are just a few desks away..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

RBS and Citi mostly. GS come for the Tech guys from time to time, we had MS, but they ended up not coming in later years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First thing Monday morning will do if they can sort me out with anything once I'm at university..but still they can easily turn around and say no.
    Yeah they could say no. But if you want to know if you are chasing something you won't achieve , then I think they are the best people to ask.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We had quite a few of the smaller private banks like Coutts and hoare & co but we also had barclays, Morgan Stanley, Norwich Union and Lloyds as I remember. It was a while ago and we had 25 management and financial services companies. There will be more events next year and PEP Club will be dealing with a lot of it with the university next year. Sorry I can't remember all of it, the grape was flowing a little afterwards :P Were are you currently working? We haven't had the Summer term fairs list put up yet but they aren't just open to university students and I am sure if you can be in York for them you would be very welcome to come a long. I met a girl who lives in York but went to Cambridge who was at our law events. I will add you and keep you posted if you like? Then you can get a feel for the companies that come.
    I'm at XX atm...and I see..I'm still deciding whether York would be right for me. Weighing up the pros/cons of other unis to York and the course structure..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hope you make the right choice for you, York, B'ham or QMUL are great uni's to choose from.
    I think York would be the best choice out of them tbh.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.