The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

About to start OU but need help.

Okay, so I am going to apply for undergraduate degree at OU for September start, for a Computing and ICT course. I am worried about the fees, I'm only 18 and will be studying full time. Does OU offer same system as based unveritys, so you get a loan but don't start paying until you start earning £21,000 or over. Also do they offer student grants for study materials or living arrangements like food ect. If anybody can help would be great.
Reply 1
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by ShaunW50
Okay, so I am going to apply for undergraduate degree at OU for September start, for a Computing and ICT course. I am worried about the fees, I'm only 18 and will be studying full time. Does OU offer same system as based unveritys, so you get a loan but don't start paying until you start earning £21,000 or over. Also do they offer student grants for study materials or living arrangements like food ect. If anybody can help would be great.

It's hard for people to advise about the new loan system really as it's all new for the OU. I assumed it worked the same way as for brick universities.
http://www8.open.ac.uk/study/explained/how-to-apply/fee-loans-england?samsredir=1333277998
Reply 3
Hey guy's thought I do an update about this problem, today I contacted student fincial England. They informed me because I be studying with OU I am classed as a part time student, even if you opt to do full time at OU; in June/July time the part time forms will be available and you can apply for student grants, student maintenance ect and even the student loan they have at based university. Basically this year for a first you can get all fincial support that you would get at based universitys. Thought I give a quick update or if anybody needed help.
Reply 4
Original post by ShaunW50
Hey guy's thought I do an update about this problem, today I contacted student fincial England. They informed me because I be studying with OU I am classed as a part time student, even if you opt to do full time at OU; in June/July time the part time forms will be available and you can apply for student grants, student maintenance ect and even the student loan they have at based university. Basically this year for a first you can get all fincial support that you would get at based universitys. Thought I give a quick update or if anybody needed help.

:eek: Really? They've giving out maintenance loans too? Wow.
Reply 5
Original post by Moggs

I don't understand all these grants (mainly because I don't qualify for any! :biggrin:) but I understood existing students received grants towards courses and equipment grants but surely nothing for living expenses? I assumed that the loans for new students were meant to cover all costs.
Reply 6
Original post by Moggs

Original post by Nitebot
I don't understand all these grants (mainly because I don't qualify for any! :biggrin:) but I understood existing students received grants towards courses and equipment grants but surely nothing for living expenses? I assumed that the loans for new students were meant to cover all costs.

No, no maintenance loans are available, but for those on a low income there may be grants. From the FAQs:

Is there support available to help with my living costs while I study with the OU?

In general, the answer is no. If you are on benefits and ordinarily resident in England, some sources of funding may be open to you. Even if you are not eligible for any financial help, however, a key point about learning with the OU is that it enables you to study part-time while continuing to work, and the emphasis on distance learning means you do not incur extra living costs.

I am on a low income, so will I be eligible to receive one of the new National Scholarship Programme awards?

Government rules state that students are not eligible for an award if they have a residual household income in excess of £25,000. Students with an income below this level may be entitled to a scholarship and institutions are expected to set additional eligibility criteria. Further information for students will be made available in time for autumn 2012 registrations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending