The Student Room Group

Highest requirements.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sfs1012
My GCSEs are worse than yours and I manage to get an offer. Imperial almost puts no emphasis on GCSE as long as you got Bs in the relevant subjects. What course you planning to read?

what was your offer,gcse and course... i am planning to read aeronautics
the thing was i just used to mess around and try to get girls(of which i got many) but now i want to foucus on getting to imperial college. plus i have to get into imperial or i will be left with city university. i got know few people who read chemical engineering at imperial
I believe Churchill College Cambridge asks for A*A*A*A for Law.
Reply 23
Original post by kaboon-supreme
what was your offer,gcse and course... i am planning to read aeronautics

I applied for Chemistry in 2010 and the offer was AAA. My GCSEs are 2A* 2A 2B 3C1D.
Original post by srascal8
Was thinking earlier, what is the course with the highest entry requirements in the UK? Is it a course at Cambridge or Warwick's Math course?

Imperial's standard offer for maths is A*A*A with the A* in Maths and Further Maths (if you're taking Further Maths).

Sometimes they ask for AEA (distinction) or STEP but it's "only" a 2 in II or III.
hi guys
i just recieved my gcse and they are very bad.this is what i got
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

i really want to get into imperial college and i think my gcse will set me back. i am doing MATHS,BIOLOGY,CHEMISTRY,PHYSICS for a level and further maths at A2. i have lots of work experiance lined up like RAF museum aeronautics department,BAE,AIRBUS. lets say a get 3A* and A for chem and a for further maths, is there a chance of me even thinking about imperial collage.i don't think i will get into it because of my extremly bad gcse

If you think those GCSE grades are bad then there's something wrong with you.
Reply 26
Cambridge maths is obviously the hardest requirements. The A*AA part of the offer might as well not be there when compared to STEP.
Original post by sfs1012
I applied for Chemistry in 2010 and the offer was AAA. My GCSEs are 2A* 2A 2B 3C1D.

wow.. chemsitry..i know two family friends who read chemical engineering in imerial 2 years ago and now they work in the gulf. they just spend their time between dubai,doha,and bangkok.i think one of them works for shell.

but aeronautics is the most competative course at imperial. so i dont even think i will get an interview..

thanks
Original post by Rahul.S
some person on tsr got a A*A*A* SS offer from cambridge for maths last year......hardest offer till date I would say. Generally Imperial have the highest requirements I reckon.

Seriously WTF, which user was that. Did he actually meet it (All hail him if he did), and how cruel can cambridge get! I mean thats insane, basically false hope giving, even a genius would be unlikely to meet that.

EDIT: was this I+II or II+III, if it was the later, then surely cambridge is being a god troll.
(edited 12 years ago)
I believe University of Wolverhampton ask for some seriously tough grades for ALL their courses.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Seriously WTF, which user was that. Did he actually meet it (All hail him if he did), and how cruel can cambridge get! I mean thats insane, basically false hope giving, even a genius would be unlikely to meet that.

EDIT: was this I+II or II+III, if it was the later, then surely cambridge is being a god troll.

Best result I've know and S and 1 is II and III.

I know the stats say 12% get S in III but does anyone actually know anyone who's achieved it or are they all members of the Chinese IMO team?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31

i think her name was jing jing on TSR......well it was like a polite rejection with an offer. at the end someone told me she missed the offer (not a surprise considering the pressure she would of been under).
Reply 32
hi guys
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

i really want to get into imperial college and i think my gcse will set me back. i am doing MATHS,BIOLOGY,CHEMISTRY,PHYSICS for a level and further maths at A2. i have lots of work experiance lined up like RAF museum aeronautics department,BAE,AIRBUS. lets say a get 3A* and A for chem and a for further maths, is there a chance of me even thinking about imperial collage.i don't think i will get into it because of my extremly bad gcse

There are a couple of things wrong with this. Firstly, there is a big jump between GCSE and A-level, and you seem to think you can get A*s in maths and two of the sciences which you got Bs in at GCSE? :confused:

Secondly, further maths is hard and involves a lot of work. Most schools require A* at GCSE to even consider you for further maths, and at LEAST an A grade; if you can only achieve a B at GCSE then perhaps you need to rethink your options.

In answer to your question, three A*s and two As at A-level, one of which being further maths, is probably good enough to get you into Imperial for this course, as they would be able to see that you can cope with the material on the course. However, you're going to be up against people who got incredibly good GCSE results, and the same (or better) A-level results as the ones you listed.
Reply 33
hi guys
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

nope theyre bloody awful you'll be working at burger king for life.
Reply 34
hi guys
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

They are awful you should just give up now..................................People like you on this forum need to give your heads a wobble, you really annoy me.
Original post by Rahul.S
i think her name was jing jing on TSR......well it was like a polite rejection with an offer. at the end someone told me she missed the offer (not a surprise considering the pressure she would of been under).

Why did they give her an offer, I really dont get it. Giving someone an offer that no one can really ever hope to meet is much cruler than a rejection. Also if she performed that badly in her Interview due to stress/anxiety e.c.t then why not give her a normal offer anyway, because surely anyone that can get 11 at STEP (and A*AA at A level-though this is clearly superseaded by the former), deserves to study at cam anyway.

According to the Maths Applicants 2012 there's someone with an SS offer this year (for Trinity).

Original post by dugdugdug
Best result I've know and S and 1 is II and III.

I know the stats say 12% get S in III but does anyone actually know anyone who's achieved it or are they all members of the Chinese IMO team?

One of the people showing us round on the Maths open day at Emma last year had 3 S's and average of 98% in his A-levels :frown:
Original post by hassi94
According to the Maths Applicants 2012 there's someone with an SS offer this year (for Trinity).

There was more than one and one of them was from st edmund's hall (or something). Brutal.
Reply 38
Why did they give her an offer, I really dont get it. Giving someone an offer that no one can really ever hope to meet is much cruler than a rejection. Also if she performed that badly in her Interview due to stress/anxiety e.c.t then why not give her a normal offer anyway, because surely anyone that can get 11 at STEP (and A*AA at A level-though this is clearly superseaded by the former), deserves to study at cam anyway.

It's not that outrageous. If they're not sure about someone, it's a good test of whether they can put in the work required. I'm pretty sure there's a fair few floating around on TSR with SS(I think Zhen Lin got close to 120 on both for instance).
That's not to say I'd have been happy if I got an SS offer though(actually, I probably would, but not as happy as an easier one).
Original post by Slumpy
It's not that outrageous. If they're not sure about someone, it's a good test of whether they can put in the work required. I'm pretty sure there's a fair few floating around on TSR with SS(I think Zhen Lin got close to 120 on both for instance).
That's not to say I'd have been happy if I got an SS offer though(actually, I probably would, but not as happy as an easier one).

I guess you're trying to remember this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending