The Student Room Group

Accept or Decline an offer

I'm wondering that if I accept an offer of a certain university, but I later decide to decline the offer instead. Is this possible?? Will it affect other universities' decision making?
Original post by golf.korbchai
I'm wondering that if I accept an offer of a certain university, but I later decide to decline the offer instead. Is this possible?? Will it affect other universities' decision making?

Id' help if you gave us some context to what you've already said :rolleyes:
Once you've made your firm and insurance choices then you're stuck with them. You get a 7 day period where you can change your choices but after that you cannot change them.

The only thing that you could do would be to withdraw your application and enter clearing on results day
Reply 3
if youve accepted an offer i believe youre bound to it, whilst you could probably decline it by ringing the university you cant accept any other offers as youd have already declined them and as such would have to apply next year instead.
although i think ucas have some service that if you want to change your mind within a week or making your decision you can?
Reply 4
I haven't paid any tuition fee though. I have Birmingham (MSc Operation Management) and Loughborough right now, but I want UCL( Engineering with Finance) more. If I acccept Birmingham offer, will UCL know that I have accepted Birmingham and reject my application???
I haven't paid any tuition fee though. I have Birmingham (MSc Operation Management) and Loughborough right now, but I want UCL( Engineering with Finance) more. If I acccept Birmingham offer, will UCL know that I have accepted Birmingham and reject my application???

If you accept Birmingham then your other offers will automatically be rejected.

If you are still waiting to hear from Universities (ie. UCL) you will not be able to reply to and accept any of you offers, you'd have to withdraw from them yourself before doing so.

Hang on, are you still waiting for UCL to respond? If so then just wait, if you accept Birmingham's offer before UCL makes their decision then UCAS will just withdraw your application on your behalf.
Reply 7
I forgot to tell that I have a conditional offer from Birmingham and Loughborough. If I don't qualify Birmingham requirement but I happen to accept the offer from Birmingham. Will UCAS automatically withdraw my waiting application even though I dont pass Birmingham
I forgot to tell that I have a conditional offer from Birmingham and Loughborough. If I don't qualify Birmingham requirement but I happen to accept the offer from Birmingham. Will UCAS automatically withdraw my waiting application even though I dont pass Birmingham

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for, if you accept Birmingham but come August you haven't met their conditions you will be rejected by them and go to your Insurance or nowhere at all (if you didn't meet their offer either).

If by 'waiting application' you mean any Universities that haven't replied to you, again, you could not have accepted your offer from Birmingham if some were still outstanding, you would have to withdraw from those choices or wait until you hear from them.
Reply 9
I have already emailed to the university. They said that I can accept the offer while I'm waiting for other universities to make their decision because CAS will not begin right away. On the other if I have an uncontional offer, I wont be able to accept it. Once I accept the unconditional offer, the CAS process will begin
I have already emailed to the university. They said that I can accept the offer while I'm waiting for other universities to make their decision because CAS will not begin right away. On the other if I have an uncontional offer, I wont be able to accept it. Once I accept the unconditional offer, the CAS process will begin

Try it if you like.

You can only accept and set a firm and if you want an insurance if you decline the rest of your offers, and cancel any applications you made for which you have not yet had response.

I got to a point where I knew I would not accept two of my offers and wanted to release the places, but I could not decline them without setting a firm, I could not set a firm because I needed to know where my wife's offers were and at that stage she was waiting on two. I had to wait, the Track system just would not let me do it.

In order to accept one of her offers and set a firm, my wife had to decline her other offers and withdraw from the choice which had not yet responded. Again the track system forces this.

Sounds to me as if the Uni did not understand the question as articulated.
Reply 11
Are yours conditional or unconditional?
Are yours conditional or unconditional?

4 x Unconditional, one x conditional (the Uni misused the system, as the condition was sending in my certificates, they should have offered unconditionally and specified non academic conditions for the offer.) which is what the other 4 did. According to the Track guidence, the only difference is that if you firm an unconditional you cannot have an insurance. You can have an unconditional as insurance for a conditional firm.

Track definately would not let me decline a subset of my offers, I tried that, it just said you must choose a firm.

As I said you can try it, by going into track. If you have not had all your responses I do not believe the link to make replies to offers will be active, i.e. you cannot click on it. It will become active if you cancel the choice you are still waiting for. That is exactly how it worked for my wife.
(edited 11 years ago)

If you are applying for postgraduate degrees you should ignore all those people who have misleadingly assumed that you are applying through UCAS (which you won't be) and ask someone who is familiar with postgraduate applications, perhaps in the relvant forum on TSR.

Quick Reply