The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3960
Original post by pinkmonkey93
Yeah, I'm considering making them my firm I liked the University :smile:. What other Uni's have you offers from?

Just Manchester at the moment. This will be my second degree so I have unconditionals from both. I decided to withdraw from BCU and MMU when I got those offers, and I'm still waiting to hear from Leeds Met! They have until tomorrow.... Technically I'm not really decided where to go, turning out to be a really difficult decision. Where else did you apply to?
Anyone got an offer from Sheffield for Speech and Language Therapy? :smile:

I do! It's going to be my insurance. It's a lovely city, I live really close by :smile:
Original post by Lusanda
I'm still waiting to hear from Leeds Met. Not had anything from them at all yet!

According to the UCAS website, if applications are received by 15th Jan (which mine was) then universities should 'aim' to have replied to all applicants by 31st March - tomorrow. So fingers crossed we'll hear soon!!!

Ahhh thanks, mine was actually sent on 15th Jan so dont know if that has made a difference. So when they say 'reply' does that mean that they may not have to give a final answer yet but just reply to us say to invite us for an interview? (what I mean is does an interview invite count as a reply or not) Im not sure whether the uni ive chosen is still interviewing or not (BCU), they may have finished by now. I may be looking to much into it but i wonder whether 'reply' means their final decision (by end of March) or just getting in touch with us for an interview or something (by end of March). Sorry hard to explain, do you see what I mean though? Im so worried about it. I know that they aim to get back to us by end of March but apparently some say it can take till May too. Cant help worrying now. Hope you hear something soon, its frustrating isn't it. Good luck!! x
Reply 3963
Original post by pink_flamingo
Ahhh thanks, mine was actually sent on 15th Jan so dont know if that has made a difference. So when they say 'reply' does that mean that they may not have to give a final answer yet but just reply to us say to invite us for an interview? (what I mean is does an interview invite count as a reply or not) Im not sure whether the uni ive chosen is still interviewing or not (BCU), they may have finished by now. I may be looking to much into it but i wonder whether 'reply' means their final decision (by end of March) or just getting in touch with us for an interview or something (by end of March). Sorry hard to explain, do you see what I mean though? Im so worried about it. I know that they aim to get back to us by end of March but apparently some say it can take till May too. Cant help worrying now. Hope you hear something soon, its frustrating isn't it. Good luck!! x

Yep I understand what you mean! The impression I get is that they should aim to have sent a final decision by tomorrow. But, yes you're right, they don't have to send out final decisions until sometime in May, so I don't think you need to be worrying. Here's the details:

http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

I got an interview at BCU just a couple of weeks ago, but decided not to go and withdraw from them, as I currently live in Edinburgh (far!) and already had two unconditional offers (my second degree). In the email I received they said something along the lines of if you can't attend (it was less than a weeks notice) they will keep the application 'pending' for a 'mop up session' at the end of April. To me that suggests they haven't finished interviewing yet, so don't worry too much about it! I sent my application off on Dec 22nd, so they are definitely taking their time with interviews. If you sent yours on the 15th Jan, then you're definitely on time, but might be at the bottom of the pile of applications.

If it were me I'd be inclined to send them an email and inquire should you not hear from them by tomorrow. Surely can't be deemed to be rude/pushy if it's after the UCAS date. That's what I'm going to do with Leeds.

Hope you hear soon though! Have you heard from anywhere else?
Original post by Lusanda
Just Manchester at the moment. This will be my second degree so I have unconditionals from both. I decided to withdraw from BCU and MMU when I got those offers, and I'm still waiting to hear from Leeds Met! They have until tomorrow.... Technically I'm not really decided where to go, turning out to be a really difficult decision. Where else did you apply to?

I know what you mean I keep thinking of pros and cons of them all. I applied for University of Ulster and Queens University Belfast in Northern Ireland and East Anglia. I did apply to Reading as well but they rejected me :frown:
Original post by juliewho
I do! It's going to be my insurance. It's a lovely city, I live really close by :smile:

What's your firm? I only seen bits of it when I was over for my interview it does look lovely though.
Original post by Lusanda
Great that you've decided where you're going! I've just emailed the lady at Manchester to say I'll be at the open day on the 25th April. I think I'll probably end up firming Sheffield too though the way things are looking!! Are you doing A Levels now? Good luck if you are, maybe see you in September!!

Yes I am, eek x) yeah, maybe see you there!

Anyone got an offer from Sheffield for Speech and Language Therapy? :smile:

I have, i've firmed it! :smile:
Original post by Lusanda
Yep I understand what you mean! The impression I get is that they should aim to have sent a final decision by tomorrow. But, yes you're right, they don't have to send out final decisions until sometime in May, so I don't think you need to be worrying. Here's the details:

http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

I got an interview at BCU just a couple of weeks ago, but decided not to go and withdraw from them, as I currently live in Edinburgh (far!) and already had two unconditional offers (my second degree). In the email I received they said something along the lines of if you can't attend (it was less than a weeks notice) they will keep the application 'pending' for a 'mop up session' at the end of April. To me that suggests they haven't finished interviewing yet, so don't worry too much about it! I sent my application off on Dec 22nd, so they are definitely taking their time with interviews. If you sent yours on the 15th Jan, then you're definitely on time, but might be at the bottom of the pile of applications.

If it were me I'd be inclined to send them an email and inquire should you not hear from them by tomorrow. Surely can't be deemed to be rude/pushy if it's after the UCAS date. That's what I'm going to do with Leeds.

Hope you hear soon though! Have you heard from anywhere else?

Thanks so much, thats very reassuring. I really hope that they are still interviewing. So far I have heard off my third and fourth choices which is to do English and Linguistics at Wolverhampton and English at Newman. My first two choices which I havent heard from are Speech & Lang at BCU and DMU. Im happy about the English offers but its obviously not my no 1 option as it wouldnt qualify me to be an SLT and I would have to study further. My problem is im going to be living at home so im quite limited with the uni's I will be able to travel to which is why ive only been able to apply for two SLT degrees. Thanks so much, you have put my mind at ease a little :-) x x x
Reply 3968
Has anyone got an offer from Queen Margaret? :smile:
Reply 3969
Original post by NM16
Has anyone got an offer from Queen Margaret? :smile:

I am waiting too, after sending in my application mid October I am now getting a bit impatient. I emailed them friday to see when they may be sending out replies, so hoping to at least get feedback early this week. How about you ?
Just wanted to post on here and say a massive good luck.

My son was diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia aged 3 and spoke like a dolphin, in a series of clucks and clicks. SALT worked with him intensely and hes now 7 and wow, hes nearly there.

Just want to let you know what a very big effect you guys will have on the lives of the people you work with. For my son, his life changed so much and hes a different child.
heyy my name is georgie ive been looking at this thread for a while (sorry to sound creepy haha) so i thought it was about time i posted! i was extremely lucky to receive 5 offers for speech therapy and have finally just plucked up the courage to firm the university of sheffield with man met as my insurance :smile:

anyone else out there firmed the uni of sheffield? would be lovely to get to know some people before we go! x
Original post by Hermione_moo

My son was diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia aged 3 and spoke like a dolphin, in a series of clucks and clicks. SALT worked with him intensely and hes now 7 and wow, hes nearly there.

Just want to let you know what a very big effect you guys will have on the lives of the people you work with. For my son, his life changed so much and hes a different child.

Wow, thank you for sharing your story with us. it's so inspiring and encouraging to know the impact speech and language therapy can have. I wish you and your son all the best in the rest of your journey :smile:
Reply 3973
Original post by Hermione_moo

That's fantastic that SLT had such a huge impact on your sons life, that really makes me happy.

Thank you for the encouragement! It's so very exciting to be starting university but I get so much more excited where I really think long term what I'm going to be doing and who I'm going to be helping.

Good luck with your sons ongoing therapy.

Sal
Reply 3974
At my UEA interview day it was mentioned that part of having your fees paid by the NHS is that you have to work for the NHS for 2 years after you qualify. Now I always assumed this would be the case but have never seen it written anywhere else, nor was it mentioned by any of the other unis. Does anyone know if it is written anywhere? I hope to work in Guernsey for a few years (I grew up there) but they do not have the NHS there.

Thanks
Sal
Original post by SalC
At my UEA interview day it was mentioned that part of having your fees paid by the NHS is that you have to work for the NHS for 2 years after you qualify. Now I always assumed this would be the case but have never seen it written anywhere else, nor was it mentioned by any of the other unis. Does anyone know if it is written anywhere? I hope to work in Guernsey for a few years (I grew up there) but they do not have the NHS there.

Thanks
Sal

As you're starting this year with the increased fees, that might make a difference, but we were expressly told that we WON'T have to work for the NHS.
Reply 3976
Original post by isjkdwbw18
heyy my name is georgie ive been looking at this thread for a while (sorry to sound creepy haha) so i thought it was about time i posted! i was extremely lucky to receive 5 offers for speech therapy and have finally just plucked up the courage to firm the university of sheffield with man met as my insurance :smile:

anyone else out there firmed the uni of sheffield? would be lovely to get to know some people before we go! x

Hi, I haven't actually firmed them yet, but it's looking likely! I haven't been to any open days or anything yet, so I'm going to get that out of the way and give my other options a chance before finally deciding! There seem to be quite a few people on here who have chosen Sheffield though!
Reply 3977
Original post by PhoenixFortune
As you're starting this year with the increased fees, that might make a difference, but we were expressly told that we WON'T have to work for the NHS.

Ok thanks Phoenix, I guess I'll just have to ring the NHSBSA - I don't find them very easy to deal with that's all!

Hiya i'm beth I have firmed sheffield but insured DMU! Its so nice that we can meet people on here before we go but I just hope I get the grades now! Have you applied for accommodation yet? :smile:x

I've firmed sheffield aswell! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest