The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metachic
I've always been under the impression that funding for grads on the 5 year course only comes from the NHS in year 5. Apart from that, we get nothing. =/

Does anyone know if we're elligble for the Keele bursary?

Yes we do indeed get the NHS bursary in year 5 of our studies, we are not eligible for the Keele bursary or scholarship, this was me being told by the finance woman at the Visit Day, but we can get maintenance grant/loans through Student Finance England. So the tution fees have to be paid for by ourselves, as this is our second degree. Hope that helps.
Original post by manderson
Yes we do indeed get the NHS bursary in year 5 of our studies, we are not eligible for the Keele bursary or scholarship, this was me being told by the finance woman at the Visit Day, but we can get maintenance grant/loans through Student Finance England. So the tution fees have to be paid for by ourselves, as this is our second degree. Hope that helps.

Yup this is correct!
Reply 1762
So we get the tuition fees paid in year five. (Sorry I am incredibly slow)
Original post by Phi11
So we get the tuition fees paid in year five. (Sorry I am incredibly slow)

The way it currently stands yes, but i do not know if this will be the case for you guys on the £9k fees.
Reply 1764
Seeing all of these graduates saying that they will be starting at Keele next September is making me start to think I will be the youngest one on the course! I'm only 17 :yep:

(an update on communications from the medical school, I just received my post offer pack in the post - which contained a letter confirming my conditional offer, a letter about the grades I need to get, and a fitness to practice questionnaire)
Original post by SDas
Seeing all of these graduates saying that they will be starting at Keele next September is making me start to think I will be the youngest one on the course! I'm only 17 :yep:

You..probably will be..
Original post by SDas

(an update on communications from the medical school, I just received my post offer pack in the post - which contained a letter confirming my conditional offer, a letter about the grades I need to get, and a fitness to practice questionnaire)

I have a Keele offer and I am 17 as well!! So ur not alone!! :smile:
FIRMED Keele! Roll on september!

Got all other rejections pre interview, so i'm glad keele wanted me! :P

Got 4 rejections last year too, but it only takes one! :woo:
Original post by Luke0011
FIRMED Keele! Roll on september!

Got all other rejections pre interview, so i'm glad keele wanted me! :P

Got 4 rejections last year too, but it only takes one! :woo:

YESSSS!!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:
Original post by ViceVersa
YESSSS!!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

Excited? :smile:
Excited? :smile:

YESSSSS, happy for youuuuuuuu!!!!
Original post by ViceVersa
YESSSSS, happy for youuuuuuuu!!!!

Hey again guys!

I've been busy but just had a catch up, I got my offer nearly a month ago and still haven't got a post offer pack with the health form and things in? They've sent me the postcard and other stuff since, but not that? Do you guys think I should email?

Also was anyone else in PBL group 2 on Wednesday? ;D

xx
Original post by TTrynkaWatson
Hey again guys!

I've been busy but just had a catch up, I got my offer nearly a month ago and still haven't got a post offer pack with the health form and things in? They've sent me the postcard and other stuff since, but not that? Do you guys think I should email?

Also was anyone else in PBL group 2 on Wednesday? ;D

xx

I'd ring them up rather than e-mail, just so you can talk to someone about the situation. Maybe it got lost in the post, but if you haven't got it they will send another one out. I was in PBL group 3 on Wednesday! Did you enjoy it? :smile:
Reply 1775
I'm in the exact same situation. I might give them a ring tomorrow
Reply 1776
Hi All!
I'm a 22 yr old graduate and I've got an offer for Keele starting sept on the 5 year course! Having a bit of a problem with student finance though, I was told that I could get tuition fees funded by SLC then later told I could not and that there was "confusion amongst supervisors which is why students have been told the wrong info". Are all graduates on the 5 year course privately funding it themselves?? Any advice?? I don't want to give up my place because of financial reasons :frown: (also I didn't apply to GEM because of the advice I originally recieved from SLC!!).

Would appreciate any comments!!

Original post by BulbaSa
Hi All!
I'm a 22 yr old graduate and I've got an offer for Keele starting sept on the 5 year course! Having a bit of a problem with student finance though, I was told that I could get tuition fees funded by SLC then later told I could not and that there was "confusion amongst supervisors which is why students have been told the wrong info". Are all graduates on the 5 year course privately funding it themselves?? Any advice?? I don't want to give up my place because of financial reasons :frown: (also I didn't apply to GEM because of the advice I originally recieved from SLC!!).

Would appreciate any comments!!

Unfortunately, graduates cannot get any help with their tuition fees through student finance, but can get maintenance loans through them. It has to be privately funded by graduates. Have you talked to your bank about a professional development loan? They may be able to help. I'm not sure. As there are no burseries or scholarships available from Keele to graduates either, which is really frustrating. I would suggest exploring your options by searching funding for second degrees. I hope you can still come to study medicine. Also 5th year is paid for by an NHS bursary, so that will be covered. It's just the four years you would have to seek some advice from your local council. Also on the Keele website there is a list of companies that may help funding for a second degree, which I have used to ask for advice and see if they can help. Good luck.
Reply 1778
I've looked into the professional development loans but I think the max is 10 000 unfortunately. I know I've looked through that list too, I'll keep exploring! Thanks for your help advice :smile:...also does anyone know why Keele are stopping GEM after this year?
Reply 1779
Original post by BulbaSa
I've looked into the professional development loans but I think the max is 10 000 unfortunately. I know I've looked through that list too, I'll keep exploring! Thanks for your help advice :smile:...also does anyone know why Keele are stopping GEM after this year?

£10k.... That sucks.

My dad has basically agreed to re-mortage the house for me as I cannot find any funding either. I will be using the maintenance loan for my housing costs and I am relying on getting a job during years 1 and 2 to cover living costs. I am already -£1300 though! :/

Is there not a Hardship fund? I know a few people at Manchester who were struggling and they were eligible for a small bursary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending