The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yomomalomo
To any of the Glasgow first and second years on this thread, I know that the course is a PBL one, but just how many hours of lectures (because of course there are some), labs and so on are done in a week?

Thanks

PBL in 1st semester = 2hrs per week. Other lectures/anatomy/labs/VS/CS make up to 11-13 hours per week.

PBL in semester 2 = 4 hours and much the same for the rest of the stuff.
Original post by sweetchilli
PBL in 1st semester = 2hrs per week. Other lectures/anatomy/labs/VS/CS make up to 11-13 hours per week.

PBL in semester 2 = 4 hours and much the same for the rest of the stuff.

Ahh, thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

So the time table is as open as I thought. Are the hours evenly spread out or are certain days/times always free (e.g. Wednesday afternoon) or does it just change from week to week?

Also, if you don't mind disclosing; how many hours of self-directed learning would you say you do a day, is it a lot or do you do some on weekends and stuff?
Original post by yomomalomo
Ahh, thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

So the time table is as open as I thought. Are the hours evenly spread out or are certain days/times always free (e.g. Wednesday afternoon) or does it just change from week to week?

Also, if you don't mind disclosing; how many hours of self-directed learning would you say you do a day, is it a lot or do you do some on weekends and stuff?

Timetables vary week to week.

I get into uni 8'ish and leave at 430-5pm. all my work has to get done during the week. Evenings and weekends are not possible with a 3 year old plus want weekends free to spend with my family.
Hey

Glad to hear oldies are still getting in. I'm the oldest in 1st year by a long way but make good use of the mature students' association. Well done on your offer. :biggrin:

Hey sweetchilli, (sorry for my belated reply)

Thanks a lot - I really didn't think I'd make it so it was a great surprise :smile: I will definitely check out the mature students association, thanks for the suggestion - maybe I'll see you there^^! x
Reply 2484
Hi folks!

Didn't quite go to plan, 4 rejections! So looking for feedback now.

Anyone know what email address to contact about feedback form Glasgow? Can't find it on their website anywhere...

Thanks
Reply 2485
any current medics/students had any experience with queen margaret halls or living privately with unite, thinking about moving away as will probably be easier that commuting everyday but unsure as to where to go, any adivce would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Original post by krollinson
hey guys, i was unsuccessful with all of my medicine aapplications this year, was just wondering, reapps and post grads, would you recommend that i study anatomy, or take a gap year?? and also, has anyone else gone away with gapmedics? thanks x

Hi I'm in the same position as you and I was also thinking about Gap Medics. I've been unsure whether to do that or just get another work experience placement somewhere else in the UK, away from home. I'd also like to hear a reapps and post grads advice :/ Have you had any luck in finding out any more on this? I'm quite unsure. Thanks
Reply 2487
Original post by essemmzee
Hi I'm in the same position as you and I was also thinking about Gap Medics. I've been unsure whether to do that or just get another work experience placement somewhere else in the UK, away from home. I'd also like to hear a reapps and post grads advice :/ Have you had any luck in finding out any more on this? I'm quite unsure. Thanks

Well i chose to study anatomy then reapply, which i got in the 2nd time, this year. i think it is helpful having a related degree like that before hand, gives u a bit of a head start, but its not necessary. sadly in this day i think its all about money. might be easier to take a gap year and reapply as u will get it funded (on the basis ur scottish) but i didnt think about the money years ago when i did my first degre. i stayed at home, commuted to uni and saved up my student loans and family savings so pay for the second degree. hopes this helps, if u have any questions that i cld help with, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by George89
any current medics/students had any experience with queen margaret halls or living privately with unite, thinking about moving away as will probably be easier that commuting everyday but unsure as to where to go, any adivce would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

I lived in unite, it's full of international kids, it's nice but i kinda regret it, if you're gonna live anywhere, live murano. That's where the party's at.
Reply 2489
Is anyone here thinking to get a flat and share it with others? if you are, please PM me. Living in halls sounds fun, but the ones I want are pretty expensive and not so close to uni either! So I'm thinking to get a flat close to uni and share it others - so if anyone's up for that, do let me know :smile: x
Reply 2490

Hi guys,

My situation is slightly different as I didn't quite get the grades I needed from school, but knew that I wanted to study medicine. I opted to study Anatomy which I thoroughly enjoyed and don't regret for a second. Unfortunately it then took me 3 attempts after graduating before I got an offer for medicine. However, this year I have 2 offers and now can't decide where to go! A degree is definitely worth considering - you gain a good background knowledge of science, become more mature as well as experiencing University life. Taking a gap year would also be beneficial as long as you spend your time wisely but then you also face the prospect of being unsuccessful again...it's really up to you but you'll get there in the end! Try and get as much feedback from the Uni's you applied to this year. Hope this helps.
Reply 2491
anyone looking about for accommodation the now...unite r building a brand new place for september a 10 min wld from the uni and have a special offer the now at only £99 a week, sounded too gd to miss, so i just went n booked it...shld give it a look before they sell out :smile:
Not sure I can go through this process a 3rd time.... FML. Congrats to everyone with offers though :smile:
Original post by baztech
Not sure I can go through this process a 3rd time.... FML. Congrats to everyone with offers though :smile:

:frown:

Think you should let the dust settle and see how you feel in a month or so. If the burning ambition is there still, then you may have no choice but to apply again... I know of several grads who took 3/4 attempts to get in but are in...
Reply 2494
Original post by baztech

Don't give up yet, I know it seems like the end of the world just now, I've been there! I agree, give it a few weeks to pick yourself up then see how you feel. I'm a graduate and it has taken me 3 attempts to get an interview and an offer!

i was thinking of gap medics too, so is my friend (she is in the same position), only problem is the price, but i know someone who has done it and said it was great :smile:
Original post by baztech

:frown:

Think you should let the dust settle and see how you feel in a month or so. If the burning ambition is there still, then you may have no choice but to apply again... I know of several grads who took 3/4 attempts to get in but are in...

This man, let the dust settle, then dust it off your jacket and try again.
Original post by baztech

Gutted for you.:frown: I can only imagine how you are feeling right now but what I would do is get feedback from every university I applied to, and take on board their comments.Call them and get advice on whether another application would at least be considered. Maybe call them after august AHs are confirmed (you never know maybe some people will miss their conditions) not that I'd wish that on anyone either:colondollar: but you never know you could get lucky.
got my offer letter and various other stuff like pvg & occy health forms from glasgow today...even though i declined them :tongue:
although it was kinda exciting reading through it all i must admit
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by atomos
got my offer letter and various other stuff like pvg & occy health forms from glasgow today...even though i declined them :tongue:
although it was kinda exciting reading through it all i must admit

Oo really? I haven't received anything from Glasgow since the offer email!! :frown: Maybe I just have to be more patient, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest