The Student Room Group

Costume & Theatre Design at UAL - Wimbledon/LCF

Hey everyone,

New to the site - I have applied for Costume / Theatre Design at University of the Arts London, specifically Wimbledon College of Art & London College of Fashion.
(Also applied for general Fashion Design BA at other universities but have decided that it is specifically Costume rather than general Fashion I want to study.)

I have had my Wimbledon interview last week and all seemed to go well, but I suppose you never know with these things! Was wondering if anyone has had an interview for LCF's Costume course as ive heard nothing and it's slightly worrying.... !

Cheers dudes !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had my Wimbledon interview last week too and I was offered a conditional offer for costume interpretation which I have accepted :smile:
Reply 2
Brilliant, congratulations! :smile:

I had my last week but have heard nothing yet...interview seemed to go really well so who knows?! Did you apply anywhere else?
Reply 3
Ahh well I had mine actually two weeks i think i can't remember it all just folds into one when i think about it, was the 26th i think not sure :/

Well they said to me that i would find out by the 19th of March but of course i found out earlier so who knows? Yeah I also applied to LCF, Central School of Speech and Drama and Rose Bruford but Wimbledon is my first choice.
Reply 4
It's a good thing you've got in then! LCF haven't got back to me at all, there interview process seems ridiculous - if you meet the criteria (basically if they like your personal statement or not) they invite you for a ''portfolio review'' and either interview you or reject you without an interview...not keen for that ha! I was gutted I didn't apply to CSSD or Rose Bruford as I didn't know they offered Costume Design until I had filled my 5 choices and sent it off!

Have you had any other interviews for them - if so, how'd it all go?
Im Louis by the way :smile:
Reply 5
Ahh Im Zoe :smile:

Where did you apply to?

Yeah the LCF Portfolio Review I felt was a bit mean, I went there at 9:30 and around 11 they basically told 2 people out of like 15 that they got an interview and the rest of us had to go home, so no go interview i'd rather they do an online portfolio and therefore saves travelling and all that extra effort just to be sent home.

Ha well I was really lucky cause I had rejections from all of them although i was very terrible for my cssd and rose interview I was just far too nervous ha :smile: so wimbledon was my last choice :smile:
Reply 6
Nice to meet you :smile:

That kinda sucks, but at least you've got Wimbledon! It's got a good rep and I felt like it was chilled and had a nice atmosphere about it...Ive still heard nothing! Getting slightly worried haha! It's pretty bad really considering ive only applied for two costume courses and these two are the only ones I want!

What was Rose Bruford like? Id never even heard of it until the other week, is it a college or university?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah well they told me on my interview I would find out today, although i found out earlier so soon most likely :smile:

Rose was nice its very sewing related, and its a college i think but with university degrees, it was nice had a comfy kind of feel to it and doesn't do any design at all
Reply 8
Well, update - I got an offer a few days ago :biggrin:

Feeling quite chuffed as Wimbledon was my top choice, oh no...I don't think I could handle just sewing on the Rose Bruford course...I need design! I'm going for the more design side of things, are you wanting more of the making etc?
Reply 9
Ahh exciting so are you firming Wimbledon??

I want to have a mixture of both, i love design and making, i know this course at Wimbledon i think is more making related i think but I love both :smile:
Reply 10
Hello! :smile:

I've also applied for theatre design at Wimbledon and they made me a conditional offer on getting a pass on my foundation.

I just widened if any of you could give me some more background in Wimbledon because I actually don't know much about the college itself and what people go on to do afterwards and stuff??

In such a difficult position, trying to decide between London an Edinburgh (for performance costume) agh! Any sort of facts/figures would be really appreciated.

And good luck on your applications :smile: a friend of mine also hasn't heard back from them yet but she rang and they said end of next week x
Reply 11
Wondered** sorry my phone tries to correct me!
Reply 12
Ahh sorry I don't know too much either really, just know that I'm going :smile: and for afterwards i think its much of yourself, you have to look for the jobs :/
Reply 13
Hey - sorry for late replies....been so busy with all the work on the foundation!

Yeah im accepting Wimbledon, it was my top choice as it would be one of the best college's to go too if you were planning to get into the theatre world, whether its special effects or design etc. I know quite a bit about Wimbledon, it's got a brilliant reputation and it's part of the University of the Arts London which have top college's under them (like Central Saint Martins) Wimbledon is also part of CCW (Camberwell,Chelsea,Wimbledon).

Yeah, it's very much about finding work yourself and selling yourself (much like an actor, i suppose) - you need a massive portfolio showcasing your skills & im sure Wimbledon will make sure that by the end of our degree our portfolio's are bursting, but it is very much self lead afterward...none of us are guranteed a job like other professions (but that's the case with most things in the art, theatre and fashion world)

What are you guys doing about accomodation? I'm not really a fan of where the halls are located... (ive lived independantly for aound 4 years, so im not sure i could go into that environment anyway) so im thinking i may have to look for a student house in Wimbledon or close by. Louis
Reply 14
heya
i'm accepting wimbledon too and i've looked at the halls and everything is so far away and expensive plus an hours travel!. i'am thinking about private do you know anywhere where i could find people to house share with who are also going to wimbledon, like a facebook group or somthing? i've asked at the hub and all they have is a whole london student site.thanks.
Rose
Reply 15
Aghhhh everyone is saying they're accepting Wimbledon! I don't know what to dooo!

But ditto on the housing problem, it's ridiculous they're all so far away! And the application stuff opened today for UAL accomodation so if you were to live in one better get on it quick.
Reply 16
I have put my application in for Housing at Manna Ash and Don Gratton, Manna Ash seems not to bad you can walk to waterloo and one train straight overground to wimbledon which aint to bad.

I am also interested in Private housing in Wimbledon as well as the ual housing has seriously gone up although, anywhere i get to stay will be great
Reply 17
I think im going to go down the shared housing route, easier...i don't want to be traveling constantly to get to the college everyday & im not fussed about not being in the center of London either. It'll probably be a good thing, not as much money down the pan on travel cards and i wont spend as much money in central all the time haha!

Hi Rose - I know www.sharedroom.com is a good site and there's the London sites you've probably seen.

If anyone is looking to team up for a shared house im all for it - we should try and get a group together so people can get in touch :smile:
Reply 18
Hi Rose and jeveux, I've been accepted at lcf for September. I'd be interested in forming a group to go housing hunting with... If your interested add me on fb and we can talk more :smile: fb is: Merowe Flynn
Reply 19
Yeah I wouldn't mind having a browse and seeing the prices compared to ual accommodation

Quick Reply

Latest