The Student Room Group

Can I put super glue on a cut?

I cut my finger strimming the hedges yesterday and have quite a deep cut on my finger, probably should have went to get stiches, but I managed to stop the bleeding myself. The thing is I've had it taped up for over 24hrs with a load of kitchen roll and sellotape and I feel I need to take it off because it doesn't seem to be drying up. But everytime I take the kitchen roll off it keeps bleeding again and it's quite a lot, meaning I keep having to detol wash it and wrap it up again. However I've just found a fresh tube of super glue and I remember hearing that a little superglue around the edge will seal it shut. Is this true can I use superglue to seal it or is it dangerous? I'd go to hospital, but that would mean having to pay £15-£20 for a taxi there and back which I could do without spending money and the hassel at the moment tbh. :frown:

I tried googled for yahoo answers but there was some confilicting veiws on this on. :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

When I saw the thread title, i wondered if you'd lost your mind.

But its a pretty good question. I wouldnt, just to be safe. Keep the cut clean and reapply a plaster/Sellotape/ bandage until you get it checked out (soon!)
:facepalm2:
Reply 3
Isn't there a doctors you could go to in the morning? Closer to home rather than all the way to the hospital, Usually there's a nurse that can do acute stitches :smile:
Original post by gingyblonde
Isn't there a doctors you could go to in the morning? Closer to home rather than all the way to the hospital, Usually there's a nurse that can do acute stitches :smile:

Oh right didn't know your GP could do stiches. Yeah if i couldn't use the glue I was just going to get a bus up to the hospital tomorrow morining but if my GP can do it even better. You just saved me £4, :cool:

Still interested to know if you can use superglue on cuts. It says on wiki they use it in veterinary practise, but is it the same as the stuff you buy in the shops?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I cut my finger strimming the hedges yesterday and have quite a deep cut on my finger, probably should have went to get stiches, but I managed to stop the bleeding myself. The thing is I've had it taped up for over 24hrs with a load of kitchen roll and sellotape and I feel I need to take it off because it doesn't seem to be drying up. But everytime I take the kitchen roll off it keeps bleeding again and it's quite a lot, meaning I keep having to detol wash it and wrap it up again. However I've just found a fresh tube of super glue and I remember hearing that a little superglue around the edge will seal it shut. Is this true can I use superglue to seal it or is it dangerous? I'd go to hospital, but that would mean having to pay £15-£20 for a taxi there and back which I could do without spending money and the hassel at the moment tbh. :frown:

I tried googled for yahoo answers but there was some confilicting veiws on this on. :dontknow:

NO. Don't do it. You could damage the skin around the cut and so forth.

Can you get to a chemist and ask for paper stitches? These are like little strips you put across the cut to hold it together. Try making your own if really stuck by cutting up the sticky part of a strong plaster into thin strips and applying those. Cellotape and other things won't work because they don't breath and are not strong enough. I would guess you have not bound the cut strongly enough yet.Chemists also sell liquid skin stuff but it does burn like hell.

You are doing the right thing by using an antiseptic but are you using a cream or liquid version. Cream would be better so as not to disturb the cut over and over again but can stop your stitches sticking....

I cut my finger badly last year when gardening and did have to bind it for quite a while before it stopped bleeding. Yours will stop eventually I guess but maybe go into your doctor's surgery and ask to see the nurse tomorrow if it doesn't stop.

Good luck.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Do it, man, it'll be awesome.
jus because you can do something it doesnt mean that you shud. :nope:
my friend did it when he cut the top of his finger so he could play the guitar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Hang on - was it you started a thread about smashing a plaster cast off to save busfares?
Reply 10
Original post by Joinedup
Hang on - was it you started a thread about smashing a plaster cast off to save busfares?

He's a glaswegian... says it all really :tongue:

No lol.

I think that was someone else.
Reply 13
I've heard of worse ideas. It'd be a good idea if you were stuck with literally no other option but lateral thinking is what saves yo' ass if you're in a pinch. You can use Duct tape to hold yourself together if you gash open your chest/leg if you're in the middle of nowhere too.
Thought this said can I put super glue on a cat? Lol.
Reply 15
Original post by OU Student
I think that was someone else.

You're right...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36820022&highlight=plaster%20cast

maybe they should get an interest group going :unsure:
My mate cracked his head open on a fireplace, and it was bleeding. His mum is a GP, and as they had dinner guests that night she opted to superglue it back together rather than take him to hospital...may be some merit in it, but I'd play safe and get it checked out professionally.
Yeah you should, it works.

I mean, once i broke my leg so i put superglue on it and now its back together again, works wonders.
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
My mate cracked his head open on a fireplace, and it was bleeding. His mum is a GP, and as they had dinner guests that night she opted to superglue it back together rather than take him to hospital...may be some merit in it, but I'd play safe and get it checked out professionally.

You serious, because I've just took the kitchen roll off now and it's bleeding quite badly if i don't put pressure on it.
Deadly serious, but it was his skull as well I think. Not sure if it still applies to a finger cut?

Quick Reply

Latest