Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Ways to talk to locals when travelling

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on holiday to a French speaking country and pretty much just want to have the opportunity to practice my French as much as I possibly can in the short time I'm there (just a week). Besides things like making small talk with shop assistants and asking pointless questions about products, I can't think of any way of being able to actively practice my French whilst there :/

Would going to somewhere like a youth hostel be a good idea? Could I just stroll in and get chatting to random backpackers? That would be weird though.. Anybody have any ideas?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sexy French hotline?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_courage

Dutch courage or liquid courage refers to courage gained from intoxication by alcohol.
    Go get 'em tiger.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak in French would be a start.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    Speak in French would be a start.
    lol.

:rolleyes:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Spain, I found that asking for help/directions was really useful. You will find that sometimes they will respond in quite a colloquial way, so there will be words that you won't understand first time, but after that you get used to hearing them Make sure you know a few informal phrases as well as formal; try some colloquial expressions too
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've probably already got accommodation sorted, but staying with a host family is a very good way of getting exposed to the language. I've only ever done it where the whole thing was arranged through a language school, but there are bound to be ways you can sort it out for yourself too.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yabbayabba)
    lol.

:rolleyes:
    :P
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with staying in a youth hostel is that you won't really get to talk to LOCALS – just more foreigners (tourists). Talking to random backpackers would probably happen in English...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You could always try taking some of them hostage and hope for Stockholm Syndrome to kick in...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    You could always try taking some of them hostage and hope for Stockholm Syndrome to kick in...
    Hands down the best post I've ever seen on TSR.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.