The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Starting to get Excited about my offer and nervous about exams.

feel like one of those andrex puppies that runs around in circles and unravels all the loo roll :smile:
Does anyone know when allocation etc starts?
#Eager
Reply 1422
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Does anyone know when allocation etc starts?
#Eager

Reckon it's gonna be close to the 9th May UCAS deadline or a afterwards?

Depends on how tight their admin is I suppose
Where does everyone want to be allocated?

I really want plymouth first, the cost of halls in exeter is so expensive :eek:, and I haven't actually visited exeter yet :redface:.
Original post by Cheddar

I really want plymouth first, the cost of halls in exeter is so expensive :eek:, and I haven't actually visited exeter yet :redface:.

Haven't looked at accommodation costs yet :s-smilie: Exeter is a bit closer to me and so pretty! But I'll be happy either way :smile: I suppose both places have their different pros and cons.
Reply 1425
And everything goes quiet :P

Exam Nerves starting to kick in.

plus I want to be allocated already.

What is everyone's preference of campus?
Original post by delll
Hi everybody, anyone go to the open day at Plymouth today?
I went, I thought it was fairly good but would have liked some kind of tour. :smile:

Its half term for most years.

Come back to the one in june
Reply 1427
When do we get an info pack? I'm in the Exeter campus too :smile:
Anyone going to the Exeter open day on the 21st? Still can't make my mind up between Southampton and Peninsula, I'm hoping this will help :colondollar:
Reply 1429
Hey. Congratulations to everyone with offers and if you don't have one, don't give up.

I have been lucky enough to get two offers, one for Queen's University Belfast and one for Peninsula and I can't make my mind up. Peninsula seemed like a really good course and the area was really nice too. But the fees at QUB haven't gone up for me as I'm from Northern Ireland. Do you guys think Peninsula would be worth paying three times as much?
Reply 1430
Original post by stanman
Hey. Congratulations to everyone with offers and if you don't have one, don't give up.

I have been lucky enough to get two offers, one for Queen's University Belfast and one for Peninsula and I can't make my mind up. Peninsula seemed like a really good course and the area was really nice too. But the fees at QUB haven't gone up for me as I'm from Northern Ireland. Do you guys think Peninsula would be worth paying three times as much?

I withdrew from QUB when i got PCMD but then im an english student.

Also do many people from PCMD go on to do research rather than practise ? just curious as the course is PBL
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1431
Original post by stanman

well im hoping for an open space at belfast its my last chance and i was only ten places off. but 3 times the fee is significant. but it is good to get away from home and be independent in your uni days. peninsula is higher ranked and might equip you better for a future career as a doctor. i hope iv tempted u lool
Now that most of you have firmed Peninsula do any of you have any questions about PMS? Course, Social or other.

Feel free to ask.
Reply 1433
Original post by Cheddar

Plymouth is has cheaper halls + cheaper private rents when you get into second year.

Clubs stay open for longer in Plymouth than in Exeter.

Plymouth KFC has this 5 pound deal where you get a **** load of chicken, chips and a large drink.

'Nuff said.
Original post by Kanonoji
Plymouth is has cheaper halls + cheaper private rents when you get into second year.

Clubs stay open for longer in Plymouth than in Exeter.

Plymouth KFC has this 5 pound deal where you get a **** load of chicken, chips and a large drink.

'Nuff said.

Hmm... I'm not a big lover of KFC :getmecoat: but hurray for cheap food :awesome:. Plymouth overall appeals to me more than Exeter, for the first two years anyway. Cost of accomodation is definitly a huge factor for me as well.

Have you actually lived in Exeter as well? How does it compare?
Reply 1435
I think Plymouth appeals to me more also.

the only thing i can say about Exeter is that as a university it is more respected but as you get the degree from both its a bit arbitrary, although quite a few of my friends are going to Exeter for other courses so swings and roundabouts i suppose. I Definetely prefer the idea of being in plymouth for clinical years though. how much choice do you get about where you move to or is it a similar situation as to allocation ?
Reply 1436
Original post by carcinoma
Now that most of you have firmed Peninsula do any of you have any questions about PMS? Course, Social or other.

Feel free to ask.

What are the SSCs like at Peninsula?
Reply 1437
Original post by Cheddar
Hmm... I'm not a big lover of KFC :getmecoat: but hurray for cheap food :awesome:. Plymouth overall appeals to me more than Exeter, for the first two years anyway. Cost of accomodation is definitly a huge factor for me as well.

Have you actually lived in Exeter as well? How does it compare?

Only Plymouth so far but I've been out in Exeter and been around the town centre.

IMO the clubs are better but they do close earlier. Can't really say anything about the music, was too drunk to remember what was being played :frown:

The town center is much nicer looking than Plymouth and in general Exeter is just a nicer looking place.
Original post by stanman
What are the SSCs like at Peninsula?

We have two types of SSC at Peninsula, the first are SSU (Student Selected Unit) blocks and we also have longitudinal SSUs.

In Year 1, there are three SSU blocks. Each block lasts three weeks.
One of the SSU's in first year are formative, with the other two being summative.

You do the following themes in first year - Biomedical Sciences/Medical Humanities and Health care environments.

There are a large choice of subjects with a variety of placements and each SSU is 2,000 words and 1 presentation to your provider.

In Year 2, there are only two SSU blocks both Summative.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
x

Trust me, I will have LOADS of questions once I know where I'm allocated.. :tongue:
But first thing's first: Fresher's fortnight.
Is this one week with the medics and then another with the rest of the uni or something (I seem to remember this written somewhere but idk where)?

Also how many weeks do you need accommodation-wise?

Also budget-wise.. (excluding accomodation) how much do think you need a week to be okay.. i.e. cook most of the time, the occasional takeaway, a few good nights out etc shopping..
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest