Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the point?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Yes, I know it's another depression thread, but I feel like I need somewhere to let it all out.

Recently I've been thinking what actually is the point in life, like we all die in the end... there's nothing exciting to life, everyday I'm just sitting around watching TV, I never have the motivation to do anything, I'm part of the Gym but I can't be arsed to go there because I hate the kind of people down there. I play football every Wednesday which is fun but not been playing recently due to an injury.

I don't really like the majority of my friends. I have 2 extremely close friends at home but I barely get to see them anymore. I have a girlfriend at Uni who I spend all my time with there and I love her to bits but me feeling like this is causing problems which is just making me feel worse. I get extremely jealous all the time and I struggle to trust her even though there's actually no reason for it.

I've been seeing a counsellor about depression and he's helping me understand my trust issues (it's basically because my Dad's an alcoholic and has constantly let me down all my life). I don't really enjoy my degree and I don't really have any urge to work for a degree, at the end of my degree I'm just going to get a boring 9-5 job and it's just going to be depressing. My life is going nowhere.

I'd like to say the counselling is helpful and it's very informative but it isn't making me feel any better, I feel like I need anti-depression drugs to be able to cope, I need something just to get me out of feeling like this. I hate life right now. My brother's got depression and has drugs and is feeling better through it. I know it's not a cure or anything I'm not under any illusions I just want a short term fix to stop feeling like this.

I hate life, I hate me and I hate the human race. Yet I hate myself for thinking this because I am incredibly lucky in so many ways.

Basically, I feel like I just need drugs to cope with it, it's eating me up.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    like we all die in the end
    I used to feel like this. But ask yourself, would it actually matter if you lived forever? Is enjoyment in the moment dependent on how long you live for? I don't think it is. Just enjoy the microscopic amount of time you have on this earth!

there's nothing exciting to life, everyday I'm just sitting around watching TV, I never have the motivation to do anything, I'm part of the Gym but I can't be arsed to go there because I hate the kind of people down there. I play football every Wednesday which is fun but not been playing recently due to an injury.
    You should try volunteering. Hopefully your uni has at least a few volunteering societies. Helping people is one of the joys I get out of life. And people at volunteering socities for obvious reasons are some of the nicest people you will meet. It might change your perceptions about people and about what you value in life.

I feel like I need anti-depression drugs to be able to cope, I need something just to get me out of feeling like this.
    You don't necessary need them at all. As I said, I used to feel exactly the same way. But it's all about your thinking processes and the perceptions you have about the world. The way you feel could change over a few days if you actually found something in life you enjoy. It will work better than any drug will.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I felt EXACTLY the same way about councilling, it gave me some comfort in knowing how and why i am like i am, but it didn't change the fact that i felt depressed a lot and had anxiety attacks. Councilling is always worth a try, it works for some but not for all.

Natural means are always best to try first, but if it feels like none of it is working, ask your GP about medication. If you mention that you have tried counselling (and maybe other things) already, and also tell him how you're feeling he will most likely get you started on some. I'll tell you a few things i've discovered about them, just so you know what to expect.

All of the ones out there can take a long time to kick in; 1 to 2 months. You may also have to try different strengths and different types, it could take you a whole year, or maybe even more to find something that works for you. The side effects can vary a lot, but this is what i've experianced or heard from others:
    - Reduced libido
    - Difficulty sleeping
    - The first few weeks actually make you feel even more depressed than normal

I'm currently on citalopram (20mg) and have been for nearly 2 months, personally i don't feel much different than before, so i might up the dosage or try something else next time i see the GP.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    there's nothing exciting to life
    Guybrush recommended some really good stuff, the volunteering is definately a good shout. Try pushing yourself out your comfort zone, try new things; you'll be thankful later.

My life is going nowhere.
    When i think back to all the stuff i've done, good or bad, it's always pushed me forward, i assume its the same for everyone. People learn best from mistakes, its why people can tell you not to do stuff, but only when you've gone through the mistakes and pain first hand will you understand and know properly; it's just how we work, that's life You're always going foward, one step at a time.

Yet I hate myself for thinking this because I am incredibly lucky in so many ways.
    I feel very much the same way, but you need to remember that it's not your fault that you're depressed, you just got unlucky. Depression is an illness, and just like people with dyslexia will have trouble with other people and with learning, we have trouble with our emotions. It's something you have to keep fighting, like with any illness. Only problem is that its an absolute bitch of an illness, but still, keep fighting because it won't go away.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know it's another depression thread, but I feel like I need somewhere to let it all out.

Recently I've been thinking what actually is the point in life, like we all die in the end... there's nothing exciting to life, everyday I'm just sitting around watching TV, I never have the motivation to do anything, I'm part of the Gym but I can't be arsed to go there because I hate the kind of people down there. I play football every Wednesday which is fun but not been playing recently due to an injury.

I don't really like the majority of my friends. I have 2 extremely close friends at home but I barely get to see them anymore. I have a girlfriend at Uni who I spend all my time with there and I love her to bits but me feeling like this is causing problems which is just making me feel worse. I get extremely jealous all the time and I struggle to trust her even though there's actually no reason for it.

I've been seeing a counsellor about depression and he's helping me understand my trust issues (it's basically because my Dad's an alcoholic and has constantly let me down all my life). I don't really enjoy my degree and I don't really have any urge to work for a degree, at the end of my degree I'm just going to get a boring 9-5 job and it's just going to be depressing. My life is going nowhere.

I'd like to say the counselling is helpful and it's very informative but it isn't making me feel any better, I feel like I need anti-depression drugs to be able to cope, I need something just to get me out of feeling like this. I hate life right now. My brother's got depression and has drugs and is feeling better through it. I know it's not a cure or anything I'm not under any illusions I just want a short term fix to stop feeling like this.

I hate life, I hate me and I hate the human race. Yet I hate myself for thinking this because I am incredibly lucky in so many ways.

Basically, I feel like I just need drugs to cope with it, it's eating me up.
    i totally understand. there is no point in life- or at least we dont know the point. My theory is that if we're here we may as well enjoy it. But it just seems like theres all these standards, all these aims, for what? to die?

life i just pointless, its like every day we do the same pointless stuff. But just because its pointless it doesnt mean we shouldnt enjoy it.

I dont really know what to say to make you feel better

sorry *hugs*
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    life i just pointless, its like every day we do the same pointless stuff. But just because its pointless it doesnt mean we shouldnt enjoy it.
    Exactly, why does it matter if theres a point in us living or not? Who cares if we were created with purpose or are just pieces of meat? Live for the moment and enjoy yourself, at least be a happy piece of meat :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you are saying, everything we do will eventually be pointless. The outcome is the same at the end. You will perish and cease to exist. Nothing but a mere memory in the minds of those that live on. Their fate is the same. But, it's not about the end result, it's about the journey.

Live the way you want, die the way you want - but protect those important to you. Those that you love and hold dear.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna give some philosophy, as philosophy can only get you so far. Here is some practical advice:

Try mindfulness meditation.
    Sit cross legged on the floor and close your eyes. Don't think about the future and don't think about the past. Try and 'sense' everything. Notice the feeling of the air on your skin. Feel your breath going in and out. Take note of the 'background' taste in your mouth. Listen to what actually makes up the silence. Before long notice the random thoughts flitting through your mind. Don't look into them too much, observe them from what you would deem an outsiders perspective.

Whilst this sorta thing can't deal with the ongoing issues I've found that it is useful in at least getting yourself into a sound state of mind. You don't feel more appreciative of the things around you, but you notice them more.

You don't need to be perfect at meditation, no one can see you doing it, you just need to find what works for you. I know people who simply concentrate on their breathing, but to me that's a little boring. Notice the whole world around you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.