The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bicbiro
(Posting from an old account of my sisters as my own profile is fairly easily linked to me IRL - hope this is okay mods)

AAAAARGHHH. Made the mistake of being honest in a psychiatric assessment for PTSD, and admitted to some light cannabis use in the two years before medical school - to which the SHO assessing me said that that may be something they are obligated to report, though he needs to check with his superior. I've already been so so worried about the affect this diagnosis could have on the GMC's perception of my FtP, but now I'm completely freaking out. Anyone have any idea how likely this is to be reported/present a problem?! Silly me for thinking behaviour BEFORE medical school, relevant to my medical care could be disclosed in a confidential environment.

as far as i'm aware patient-doctor confidentiality should apply here, regardless of the fact that you're a med student.

i wouldn't worry.
Should have started revision earlier :frown:
Reply 702
Original post by bicbiro
(Posting from an old account of my sisters as my own profile is fairly easily linked to me IRL - hope this is okay mods)

AAAAARGHHH. Made the mistake of being honest in a psychiatric assessment for PTSD, and admitted to some light cannabis use in the two years before medical school - to which the SHO assessing me said that that may be something they are obligated to report, though he needs to check with his superior. I've already been so so worried about the affect this diagnosis could have on the GMC's perception of my FtP, but now I'm completely freaking out. Anyone have any idea how likely this is to be reported/present a problem?! Silly me for thinking behaviour BEFORE medical school, relevant to my medical care could be disclosed in a confidential environment.
I think that it's entirely inappropriate for you to be threatened in that way, particularly in the context of a psych assessment.

Ultimately, it would be a massive breach of confidence for this information to be released to your medical school, future employer or regulatory body outside of the context of an assessment for FtP. If, however, there were concerns that any psychiatric illness impaired your fitness to practice it may become relevant, and therefore may be disclosed, to whichever occupational health physician would be responsible for that decision.

Finally, I don't really think it appropriate for a doctor or medical student to be seen by an SHO, particularly one who does not understand their medicolegal duties towards you, unless there's good reason for it.
Original post by SpaghettiFellOut
If I remember correctly it just degraded into irrelevant tangents and questions.
:laugh: Ah well, it's only to be expected. I remember what it was like before I started medicine - my own enthusiasm now seems a bit embarrassing :p:.

Still, wouldn't be doing anything else, so I guess that makes it worth it! Just hope I pass this damned final.
Have returned home for the easter holidays with the first week back having an exam in it..

Now have things planned for almost all days and can see no work getting done.

Standard :redface:
Reply 705
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Have returned home for the easter holidays with the first week back having an exam in it..

I'm all alone in my block :frown:

Time to think of pranks :colone:

Ditto...I've been going out my way to ensure i have things planned most days, including a holiday, just to avoid working and revision:redface: Ah well, need to look after number one....
Enjoying the bliss of having no work to do and find this subforum filled with MCQ's, there's no escape! :tongue:

In other news, I'm so very psyched for seeing Meshuggah next week. One of the best bands I've ever seen perform.
I sense a ban incoming - it was fun while it lasted.
Reply 709
Original post by Mushi_master
Enjoying the bliss of having no work to do and find this subforum filled with MCQ's, there's no escape! :tongue:

In other news, I'm so very psyched for seeing Meshuggah next week. One of the best bands I've ever seen perform.

Might be going to the London show on the 20th. Really want to see Animals as Leaders too. :smile:

I don't have exams as immediately as you, but the same thing has happened! I've decided to move back into halls next week but from tomorrow until sunday I have something on in the day and evening despite me saying no! (half of them are family things >.<) fun times.
Original post by SMed
Might be going to the London show on the 20th. Really want to see Animals as Leaders too. :smile:

Never heard them before, but Meshuggah have left me in a state of awe whenever I've seen them so I'm sure it'll be an ace night!

It alright, we have quarantined them to a separate thread now. So its safe again in the Sub-forum.

:tongue:
Reply 713
Never heard them before, but Meshuggah have left me in a state of awe whenever I've seen them so I'm sure it'll be an ace night!

[video="youtube;NmfzWpp0hMc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc[/video]
Original post by SMed
[video="youtube;NmfzWpp0hMc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc[/video]

That guy has ridiculous skills.
Reply 715
Very interesting idea - would it be acceptable to openly aution out say 5% of places for very competitive courses for as much money as possible in order to subsidise their poorer bretheren?
Original post by Wangers
Very interesting idea - would it be acceptable to openly aution out say 5% of places for very competitive courses for as much money as possible in order to subsidise their poorer bretheren?

If they don't meet the entry requirements and interview criteria, then No.

Money is no substitute for quality.
Reply 717
Original post by carcinoma
If they don't meet the entry requirements and interview criteria, then No.

Money is no substitute for quality.

Entry requirements and (the way we currently do) interviews provide that?

I don't mind the idea at first glance. Providing the applicant (or buyer) can meet certain requirements. Though that influx of money just being filtered down the layers of bureaucracy and becoming meaningless would be a concern.
Original post by Kinkerz
Entry requirements and (the way we currently do) interviews provide that?

I don't mind the idea at first glance. Providing the applicant (or buyer) can meet certain requirements. Though that influx of money just being filtered down the layers of bureaucracy and becoming meaningless would be a concern.

No I suppose not, but some medical schools are slowly getting the right idea in terms of applicant criteria.

Yes lots of reforms to the selection methods should be made, but allowing short cuts for those who can afford it, is a very unsustainable selection method.

That said, how would allowing an applicant who would otherwise have been eliminated at the interview stage due to a rose tinted view of medical school or the profession, poor communication or delusional ethical views onto a course be of benefit?
Reply 719
Original post by carcinoma
No I suppose not, but some medical schools are slowly getting the right idea in terms of applicant criteria.

Who?

Yes lots of reforms to the selection methods should be made, but allowing short cuts for those who can afford it, is a very unsustainable selection method.

A small proportion of the cohort, though.

That said, how would allowing an applicant who would otherwise have been eliminated at the interview stage due to a rose tinted view of medical school or the profession, poor communication or delusional ethical views onto a course be of benefit?

Those people don't get eliminated at the interview stage :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending