Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

limits

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here's an interesting limit question. I thought that when you have a radical, you multiply top and bottom by the conjugate,true? How about this one?

lim sqrt(9+x^2)/(x-3)
    x-->3

So what happens here? do you square top and bottom to get rid of the radical or???
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what theorems you've been taught but putting mathematical rigour aside for a moment, this limit is clearly non-existent. When you approach 3 from above you get a different answer from when you approach it from below. You could try bounding the function by some other (easier to work with) function to prove this.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazarina)
    Ok, here's an interesting limit question. I thought that when you have a radical, you multiply top and bottom by the conjugate,true? How about this one?

lim sqrt(9+x^2)/(x-3)
    x-->3

So what happens here? do you square top and bottom to get rid of the radical or???
    The limit doesn't exist. (Suppose it did, and the limit = L, then \lim_{x\to 3} \sqrt{9+x^2} = L \lim_{x \to 3} (x-3) (as long as the limits in this equation exist, which they clearly do).

Since the RHS = 0 and the LHS = 3 sqrt 2, this is not possible).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    True - no limit exists.
    You can also see this (assuming you want to) by using a combination of limit rules: Limit[Sqrt(something)] = Sqrt[Limit(that something)], together with L`Hop`s rule to read:

Sqrt[Limitx->3{L`Hops rule for 9+x^2/(x-3)^2}]= undefined - with the assumption that x>0 w.l.o.g
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasufel)
    True - no limit exists.
    You can also see this (assuming you want to) by using a combination of limit rules: Limit[Sqrt(something)] = Sqrt[Limit(that something)], together with L`Hop`s rule to read:

Sqrt[Limitx->3{L`Hops rule for 9+x^2/(x-3)^2}]= undefined - with the assumption that x>0 w.l.o.g
    You can't apply L'Hopital unless the original limit is indeterminate.

(e.g. applying L'Hopital to (9+(x-3))/(x-3) at x = 3 would tell you the limit = 1, which it isn't...)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh gee thanks everyone. So it's simply non existent. And how do u tell if it's existent or not? I mean they all look the same
    • 328 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazarina)
    Oh gee thanks everyone. So it's simply non existent. And how do u tell if it's existent or not? I mean they all look the same
    If you have one variable then you just need to show that the right hand limit and the left hand limit approach the same number.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)

(e.g. applying L'Hopital to (9+(x-3))/(x-3) at x = 3 would tell you the limit = 1, which it isn't...)
    WRONG! - 2/3rds - but i take your point
    • 3 followers

(Original post by Hasufel)
    WRONG!
    Wut? L'Hôpital doesn't apply here. Just because it gives you the right answer doesn't mean the method is right.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)

True! i bow to thee! (silly me!)

EDIT: apologies! wasn`t concentrating (my brain is fried - i`m studying from different books at once, you know: arse....elbow...)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.