Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Dad's threatening to kill himself

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

A few days ago, my mum made the decision to split with my Dad. They've been arguing over pretty much everything for the past year or so, and to be honest, I was quite glad, as it would put an end to all the fights.

Except now, my mum feels like she has to stay with him, as he's threatened to kill himself if she leaves. He doesn't love her, but he likes all his meals cooked for him, his clothes washed etc, it's all for convenience. He doesn't lift a finger to help in the house, and does around two hours of work a week, compared to my mum, who works from 8 - 5 Monday to Friday to provide for us.
    I really don't know how to react to this. There's a huge atmosphere in our house now, everyone's unhappy, and I don't know whether to talk to my mum, tell her how I feel about the whole situation (which is that she should leave him if she isn't happy and it isn't fair for her to be manipulating her like this) or to stay out of it and hope she finds a way out?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry for the situation your'e going through, I know from a similar experience that it can be hard, make sure you talk to someone about all this like a friend etc otherwise your feelings will just keep bubbling inside you and if the atmosphere within your home is quite dark then try to spend your time elsewhere away from home doing things you enjoy.

You cant tell your mother what to do, whatever she does it is for her to work out for herself and decide, but you can tell her how your'e feeling. Talk to both your parents about how you feel about the whole situation and explain to your father the effects of what he says on everyone and that you feel it is not fair to emotionally blackmail the family.

Let your parents work out he best decision for them and don't involve yourself too much when theyre in the middle of fight but wait till after and calmly talk to them about how you feel etc, good luck and feel free to PM me :console:

Kerri
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :console:

So sorry what you're going through. Only thing I can think of, is maybe your mum should stop making his tea and washing his clothes. I hate people using suicide as a leverage, it's cruel to his wife and especially children for being so selfish he wants her to do everything for him. I think your mum with think enough is enough and leave him regardless of his pleas. Maybe look into counseling, maybe offer it for your mum to cope with this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry, I agree that you should talk to a friend, or another relative about this, It'll all be okay, I'm sorry I couldn't Have been more help :console:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 4, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.