The Student Room Group

Miss firm but get grades for insurance?

Say my firm is ABB and my insurance is BBB.

If I get BBB, how likely is my insurance to accept me? I've heard your firm is obliged to give you a place if you meet their grades, but what about the insurance?
They have to take you.
Reply 2
Original post by Popppppy
They have to take you.

Thanks.

Just found another thread with dozens of people saying the same.

I guess the only difference between firm/insurance is if you meet both, you're given the firm and you get priority for accommodation/bursaries for the firmed university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cythreill
Thanks.

Just found another thread with dozens of people saying the same.

I guess the only difference between firm/insurance is if you meet both, you're given the firm and you get priority for accommodation/bursaries for the firmed university.

Yeah, if you meet your firm, you automatically loose your offer/place at your insurance.
And if you miss your firm you're right, it's a scramble for accommodation after results day.
Reply 4
Yeah, if you meet your firm, you automatically loose your offer/place at your insurance.
And if you miss your firm you're right, it's a scramble for accommodation after results day.

Thanks, you've been helpful!

Mind answering a couple more questions?

Are places less competitive this year with university fee's increasing by at least 300% for almost all (english) students?

If I were to get BBB on results day, what would happen if my ABB firm had some spare places (ie. they were accepting some who marginally missed their offer), considering I met my BBB insurance?

Would my insurance's offer block me from being considered by my firm who may be accepting students who marginally missed offer, due to space?

Are places less competitive this year with university fee's increasing by at least 300% for almost all (english) students?

If I were to get BBB on results day, what would happen if my ABB firm had some spare places (ie. they were accepting some who marginally missed their offer), considering I met my BBB insurance?

Would my insurance's offer block me from being considered by my firm who may be accepting students who marginally missed offer, due to space?

Well applications are said to be down by almost 9% this year, so possibly less competitive, but not definitely (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16787948)

If you got BBB your UCAS track would automatically accept your insurance place, however you could phone your firm and see if they will take you.
They don't have to but they might (mine did, but I had extenuating circumstances i.e. I got flu during my exams), if they agree to take you, you have to phone your insurance and ask them to "release" you, but don't do this until your firm have absolutely confirmed they will take you.
Reply 6
Well applications are said to be down by almost 9% this year, so possibly less competitive, but not definitely (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16787948)

If you got BBB your UCAS track would automatically accept your insurance place, however you could phone your firm and see if they will take you.
They don't have to but they might (mine did, but I had extenuating circumstances i.e. I got flu during my exams), if they agree to take you, you have to phone your insurance and ask them to "release" you, but don't do this until your firm have absolutely confirmed they will take you.

Thanks again.

About calling them; is there any point phoning up before I have my grades in front of me (they might have them) or should I really be at my school the second their lines open so I can call them up ASAP with my grades?

Flu during your exams? Did you sit with the flu or just not sit the exams? If you didn't sit the exams; how did they give you a grade?
Thanks again.

About calling them; is there any point phoning up before I have my grades in front of me (they might have them) or should I really be at my school the second their lines open so I can call them up ASAP with my grades?

Flu during your exams? Did you sit with the flu or just not sit the exams? If you didn't sit the exams; how did they give you a grade?

No point phoning beforehand. Just wait until the day and hopefully teachers at school can help.

Luckily my flu only really affected one exam, my physics practical. I told my head of 6th form that I wasn't feeling well beforehand, and he contacted the exam board to let them know.
I could hardly stand up, but I persevered lol.
I ended up getting a U in that module bringing my from a B to a C overall.

Just thought I'd add a few points (/extend what has already been said slightly).

Some courses are more competitive, some aren't. I think generally speaking science subjects and such aren't too different (they have record applications at my uni for physics), but applications are more down on the so called mickey mouse degrees which don't necessarily lead directly to jobs and are most studied out of passion/interest. It depends entirely on the course and uni, general applications are down though.

If your firm has places left after results, then they will almost definitely be looking to fill them. Most unis will give the 'near miss' candidates a chance here, you wont necessarily have to phone them either. They may go into clearing as opposed to taking the 'further off' students who have missed by a bit more though, it depends on how many spaces they have left I imagine.
Reply 9
Original post by heyimbored

If your firm has places left after results, then they will almost definitely be looking to fill them. Most unis will give the 'near miss' candidates a chance here, you wont necessarily have to phone them either. They may go into clearing as opposed to taking the 'further off' students who have missed by a bit more though, it depends on how many spaces they have left I imagine.

So some may go into clearing, some may immediately fill off the 'further off' students.

Since I don't know what they'll do before hand, the best option is to just call them up as soon as possible and ask them?
Reply 10
So some may go into clearing, some may immediately fill off the 'further off' students.

Since I don't know what they'll do before hand, the best option is to just call them up as soon as possible and ask them?

Your firm will get your results before you do, they have a day or so to decide whether they want to still take you if you have missed out on the offer. So by results day they will have already made their decision. You can ring them and try change their mind, but nobody can tell you how effective this will be.
If you check ucas on results morning and it says unsuccessful, then as soon as you've got your results, ring them. There's no point in phoning before hand though seeing as you won't know what you have.

Having said that though, unis are often reluctant to go back on themselves once they've made the 'unsuccessful' decision. It's also possible that it remains pending and they'd be going through all the near misses and clearing applicants, if that happens, phone them (after results) and tell them why they should pick you.
If I phone up, what should I say if my firm offer is unsuccessful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending