The Student Room Group

uk student to american UNIs

Im very keen on studying in the US, but I just want to get an idea of the number of international students that actually get in, specifically from the UK.

I currently do the IB with physics and maths HL, and can take the SAT exams.

Im looking at these Unis in america: MIT, Caltech and Princeton.

Moreover, in the UK im looking at Imperial, Cambridge (Only because they have a year at MIT).

If you know anyone thats applying or anyone that is studying/studied there can you inform me please

One final thing is my parents are not working, only one of my sisters, is that ok?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I hear, hardly any UK students end up at the top US uni's (a couple of years ago only 3 UK students got into Harvard for example). On this forum specifically there was one thread made by a guy a while back who got into MIT (majoring in physics, minoring in maths) and there's a user (Manchild007 - something like that) who's at Yale (he turned down a Harvard offer).

I think this is a combination of not many UK students applying and the fact that US uni's aren't a big fan of international students - they have certain quotas to fill and nearly all the top ones are private and have huge endowments so it's not like in the UK where international students are rather attractive as they pay loads more than home students. That's my take anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by RocknRap
From what I hear, hardly any UK students end up at the top US uni's (a couple of years ago only 3 UK students got into Harvard for example). On this forum specifically there was one thread made by a guy a while back who got into MIT (majoring in physics, minoring in maths) and there's a user (Manchild007 - something like that) who's at Yale (he turned down a Harvard offer).

I think this is a combination of not many UK students applying and the fact that US uni's aren't a big fan of international students - they have certain quotas to fill and nearly all the top ones are private and have huge endowments so it's not like in the UK where international students are rather attractive as they pay loads more than home students. That's my take anyway.

Thats true, a lad from my school got into Harvard couple years ago. From what I heard he was good at sport (elitism?). Nevertheless, I might stick with Imperial, and maybe cambridge if I cant be determined to!
Reply 3
Original post by DonBorat
Thats true, a lad from my school got into Harvard couple years ago. From what I heard he was good at sport (elitism?). Nevertheless, I might stick with Imperial, and maybe cambridge if I cant be determined to!

Unlike UK uni's which only really care about academics, top US uni's love extra-curriculars, especially if they're at a top level.
Reply 4
Unlike UK uni's which only really care about academics, top US uni's love extra-curriculars, especially if they're at a top level.

ahh ohwell, I may still give it ago as the SATS are easy. Thanks anyway :biggrin:
ahh ohwell, I may still give it ago as the SATS are easy. Thanks anyway :biggrin:

But the SAT's don't matter on their own; you'll need the complete package to even stand a chance as an international (where competition is tougher). As a Princeton representative said whilst giving a talk at our school, they can fill their entire entering year with students who've scored perfect 2400 scores on the SAT, but that's not what they're looking for and so they don't. They want the 'complete' package.
Reply 6
Original post by MirandaPanda
But the SAT's don't matter on their own; you'll need the complete package to even stand a chance as an international (where competition is tougher). As a Princeton representative said whilst giving a talk at our school, they can fill their entire entering year with students who've scored perfect 2400 scores on the SAT, but that's not what they're looking for and so they don't. They want the 'complete' package.

Which school do you go to?
Reply 7
yeah I know, But I'll start somewhere and thats by getting the SATS sorted before I muck of my IB
yeah I know, But I'll start somewhere and thats by getting the SATS sorted before I muck of my IB

Which school do you go to?

Not all uni requires SAT or am wrong!
Original post by arvin_infinity
Not all uni requires SAT or am wrong!

Every top university does; but those further down, as you mention, sometimes do not require the SAT.
Every top university does; but those further down, as you mention, sometimes do not require the SAT.

Is this true: "its better to get into the schools further down cause you can score higher -so increasing your chance to get into dental schools"
Original post by arvin_infinity
Is this true: "its better to get into the schools further down cause you can score higher -so increasing your chance to get into dental schools"

First, are you a US citizen? I ask b/c an overwhelmingly large majority of places at both dental and medical schools in the US are reserved for US students (due to federal restrictions). Secondly, I'm assuming costs won't be an issue, as at the graduate level (particularly for professional degrees such as dentistry), funding for international students is practically none.

As for your post, it is true that its easier to get a 4.0 GPA at a lower school than from the likes of Harvard/MIT etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi :smile:
As a high school student in the US I can say that American universities do want international students to increase their 'diversity'. That being said, one of the big things in the American admissions process is extracurricular activities (which don't seem to be as big in the UK). When people that get into schools like Harvard/MIT/CalTech etc. there high grades really are only the minimal component of their admission. High grades are expected of them. Now the board of admissions wants to see what they have done with their time and standing out from the crowd in one way or another is really essential.
Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by justanotherperson
American universities do want international students to increase their 'diversity'.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with everything else in your post, I just want to point out that admissions for international students are way tougher than for any one else - mainly b/c there are fewer places, and a lot more applicants (literally the entire student population outside the US). As you've also mentioned thus, having the best/top grades is just the bare minimum, and shouldn't be something to be excessively proud about when applying to the States (i.e. the grades won't set you apart from others).
First, are you a US citizen? I ask b/c an overwhelmingly large majority of places at both dental and medical schools in the US are reserved for US students (due to federal restrictions). Secondly, I'm assuming costs won't be an issue, as at the graduate level (particularly for professional degrees such as dentistry), funding for international students is practically none.

As for your post, it is true that its easier to get a 4.0 GPA at a lower school than from the likes of Harvard/MIT etc.

Yh I was spoken to this american dude earlier and he was like better to get admission in lower school! but that v odd tho so everyone must be competing to go the lowest of lowest to get a higher GPA ..and I heard dental school would not look consider the school you done your bachelor course!! that is v hard to believe!!!

and yeh ..am already on loan and that..so might as well go abit deeper :tongue:
Reply 15
From what I hear, hardly any UK students end up at the top US uni's (a couple of years ago only 3 UK students got into Harvard for example).

Source? Harvard has 61 undergrads from the UK. I think it's very unlikely that somehow only 3 were admitted one year.

http://www.hio.harvard.edu/abouthio/statistics/pdf/InternationalStudentsFY12NEW.pdf

MirandaPanda
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with everything else in your post, I just want to point out that admissions for international students are way tougher than for any one else - mainly b/c there are fewer places, and a lot more applicants

Depends on the college. Some colleges receive more international applicants than others. Yale admits about 3% of their international applicants, roughly half its overall admit rate. Penn's overall and international admit rates are virtually the same (11%), as are Duke's (10%). Berkeley's admit rates for California residents (24%) and international applicants (21%) are similarly very close. In short, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult for international students at top colleges, but by how much depends on the college and which country you're applying from. At colleges that receive fewer applicants from abroad (e.g. many public universities and liberal arts colleges), the admit rates for international students are higher.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by devil09
Source? Harvard has 61 undergrads from the UK. I think it's very unlikely that somehow only 3 were admitted one year.

http://www.hio.harvard.edu/abouthio/statistics/pdf/InternationalStudentsFY12NEW.pdf

Depends on the college. Some colleges receive more international applicants than others. Yale admits about 3% of their international applicants, roughly half its overall admit rate. Penn's overall and international admit rates are virtually the same (11%), as are Duke's (10%). Berkeley's admit rates for California residents (24%) and international applicants (21%) are similarly very close. In short, I think it's fair to say that it's more difficult for international students at top colleges, but by how much depends on the college and which country you're applying from. At colleges that receive fewer applicants from abroad (e.g. many public universities and liberal arts colleges), the admit rates for international students are higher.

Wondered if you have the stats for 2011 where how many international student get accepted in each dental school !!
Ive seen it somewhere cant find it

What? Yes not many go but Harvard accept an averige of 24-25 UK based students every year alone. 3 is way off buddy :confused:

It's not "elitism". I mean it's just the top level with regard to University addmissions. The thing is, Harvard when accepting Uk kids have to give rather generous scholorships in the "needs-blind" process. In turn, students not only need to contribute anough to be worth it, but even so, have to work jobs on campus to help contribute to their free world class education. Whilst I think more should have the chance I understand why they prioritise Top academics accompanied with Sporting prowess. It's elitist yes but if anything its very fair.
Ok, I'm from America but I came to the UK to study for my undergrad degree...
why??
1) Its SO much cheaper... I was going to go to Columbia and that costs about 32,000 quid and now I'm at Notts and I'm paying about 14000 quid + you wont get any loans or scholarships from America so unless you're flowing with cash then you're going to put your parents/you in debt for a LONG time
2) It's so much longer to get a legit degree... doing just the four years undergrad won't get you anywhere in life anymore, you have to go to grad school if you want to be making any worthwhile money
3) The amazing thing about American uni's is that they look at everything - academics, extracurriculars, volunteer work, regular work, etc.... They want well rounded people which is great for us Americans because thats what is promoted at school! However in the UK, your academics are very focused on what you plan on doing at uni and all the extras are not paid as much attention to as they are in America... so you'd be coming in with a real disadvantage because you wont be seen as well rounded as your American competitors.
I wish you the best of luck mate but its a hard hard road... even for an American, never mind an international that isnt given special priorities (e.g. refugee, from developing nation, etc...) xx

Quick Reply

Latest